Early cancelation fee

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I do have a patio that the dish could go on however it faces directly north. An apartment butts up against the back of my apartment and faces south. Directly above my patio is my neighbors patio so I pole wouldn't work. The only access I have from my unit is the north sky.

My apartment manager pretty much told me that she's sorry she gave me that info but she didn't think it would be a problem since the dish has been there for years. She will NOT put anything in writing because she doesn't want to get in trouble with her owner (boss). I am calling Directv in a bit to see if they can do anything and will be calling the owner too.

I think I've learned my lesson here to always get things in writing. I just want to see if my manager denies everything when confronted by the owner.

So I called Directv and they said they need to send out a technician to determine if I can relocate the dish on my patio (which won't work from everything I see). And they are charging me $53.00 to come out. They said if they can't get a good line of site to the south sky then I will just have to cancel.

He said I will most likely incur ETF since I signed the contract and started the service.

Since I didn't have the dish put up and just had it connected, who is responsible for arranging the removal of the dish? They said they would need ANOTHER service call to do this as the guys tomorrow are just here to assess if it can be moved and move it if it's possible. Can't I just have them take the thing away? Or should I let the apartment deal with it since they are the one's that gave someone permission in the past to put it up.

So I called Directv and they said they need to send out a technician to determine if I can relocate the dish on my patio (which won't work from everything I see). And they are charging me $53.00 to come out. They said if they can't get a good line of site to the south sky then I will just have to cancel.

He said I will most likely incur ETF since I signed the contract and started the service.

Since I didn't have the dish put up and just had it connected, who is responsible for arranging the removal of the dish? They said they would need ANOTHER service call to do this as the guys tomorrow are just here to assess if it can be moved and move it if it's possible. Can't I just have them take the thing away? Or should I let the apartment deal with it since they are the one's that gave someone permission in the past to put it up.

I would make the Apt complex move it.
If it STAYS there for awhile, go back and ask the OWNER why it is that it can't be used if they are not talking it down.

If the landlord makes you remove the dish, and if Directv wants the EFT, then I would take the landlord to small claims court, with pictures of the complex the way it is now with all of the dishes. You and the other renters had tacit approval to have a dish, I don't think they can arbitrarily enforce the lease now. If they can, then maybe small claims will force the landlord to pay the EFT.

I'm going to try my best to get Directv to drop it and if they don't I will try to work with management and the owner. If all that fails, I'm afraid I will just have to drop it and learn my lesson.

I am going to be renting for at least a few more years and I don't want a lawsuit against a landlord over $500 costing me opportunities to rent in the future.

Live and learn :)

I'm going to try my best to get Directv to drop it and if they don't I will try to work with management and the owner. If all that fails, I'm afraid I will just have to drop it and learn my lesson.

I am going to be renting for at least a few more years and I don't want a lawsuit against a landlord over $500 costing me opportunities to rent in the future.

Live and learn :)

IF it's NOT YOUR Dish, why would you be responsible to have it taken down ?
You said it was up there when you got there, so you have no reason to worry about taking it down.
Technically your not allowed up there.

If you get the tech to close it out as no line of sight you have a better chance of getting them to waive the fee.

Yeah that's what the customer service guy said too. He said he wasn't sure if that would work or not since I do have line of site now and won't because I'm requesting it be moved.

@ Jimbo

I'm just talking about trying to get rid of my ETF or having the apartment foot the bill. I'm not going to take down the dish unless they decide to do it tomorrow.

I thought I remembered some discussion a while back about D* (and maybe E* too) having a solution for situations like this where a single dish was installed and shared by multiple apartments.
If this is true, could you talk to the owner about a compromise solution where one dish is installed and those renters that want to subscribe to D* ( or E* if appropriate) could connect to the system?

I thought I remembered some discussion a while back about D* (and maybe E* too) having a solution for situations like this where a single dish was installed and shared by multiple apartments.
If this is true, could you talk to the owner about a compromise solution where one dish is installed and those renters that want to subscribe to D* ( or E* if appropriate) could connect to the system?

IF you can get them to go for this, make sure they place a NEW dish as the one there is probably not capable of handling all the new stuff, if your gonna go for it, may as well make the most of it.

Btw, is the landlord and Owner reasonable about this or just plain NO ?

IF you can get them to go for this, make sure they place a NEW dish as the one there is probably not capable of handling all the new stuff, if your gonna go for it, may as well make the most of it.

Btw, is the landlord and Owner reasonable about this or just plain NO ?

My landlord and owner are very adamant about the dish being gone from the roof asap.
They keep just saying how it has to be on the patio and nowhere else. The only other person in my entire building that has directv is the neighbor next to me, which doesn't help much.

My landlord and owner are very adamant about the dish being gone from the roof asap.
They keep just saying how it has to be on the patio and nowhere else. The only other person in my entire building that has directv is the neighbor next to me, which doesn't help much.

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like your best hope is that D* decides to reduce or eliminate the ETF. Good luck.

Tell them that it's NOT your job to take it down, have them call D* and request them to come out and remove it.

Also, will they not allow a pole mount ?

Your neighbor has D* and they are OK with this ?

Talk to your neighbor and run a piece of coax over to his dish and hook up to it, bury the cable before the owner comes by.

Tell them that it's NOT your job to take it down, have them call D* and request them to come out and remove it.

Talk to your neighbor and run a piece of coax over to his dish and hook up to it, bury the cable before the owner comes by.

in which we would tell the landlord go hire a handy man to remove it.

The written notice they gave me says "All receivers on the roof must be placed on a tripod on your patios". My neighbor has Directv just like I do. He still has his unit on the roof and I'm assuming he's going through the same thing as me on another forum. He's on the first floor with no southern sky access and neighbors above him. So a pole mount wouldn't do much good.

The written notice they gave me says "All receivers on the roof must be placed on a tripod on your patios". My neighbor has Directv just like I do. He still has his unit on the roof and I'm assuming he's going through the same thing as me on another forum. He's on the first floor with no southern sky access and neighbors above him. So a pole mount wouldn't do much good.

Sorry, I thought your neighbor was around the corner and had LOS.

See, I've been fighting for you to NOT give up, but if there is NO way to get LOS, I would guess you have no choice.
I thought you meant that the neighbor had service without using the roof.

Q. Did you not think about this when choosing the apt. ?
Or were you presuming you could use the one on the roof ?

I'm gonna guess that the landlord won't let them set up a dish around the corner on a pole and run your neighbor and yours from the dish.

Just an update because I know you are all anxious to see how this pans out. :eek:

The 2 techs just left and said it's impossible to get LOS from my patio and they will document everything and put it down as a LOS issue.

10 minutes after they left I got a call and said a supervisor is en route to do a 2nd walkthrough to make sure there is nothing that can be done. If nothing can be done they will cancel my workorder and then I'll pray the ETF is dropped.

Just an update because I know you are all anxious to see how this pans out. :eek:

The 2 techs just left and said it's impossible to get LOS from my patio and they will document everything and put it down as a LOS issue.

10 minutes after they left I got a call and said a supervisor is en route to do a 2nd walkthrough to make sure there is nothing that can be done. If nothing can be done they will cancel my workorder and then I'll pray the ETF is dropped.

IF you have NOT established service yet, there would be NO ETF's.
LOS is a deal breaker.

So the supervisor was supposed to do a walk-through on Thursday to see if he could figure out a way to get it to work. Come Friday about 3pm I called because I haven't heard back yet. Was told my "order" was on hold and they had no record of a supervisor supposed to visit me. They said they'd have the local office call me ASAP. So now it's Monday and the local office hasn't called me yet and my "order" is still on hold.

How long should I wait before I bug them again?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts