Early Contract Termination

AppliedAggression said:
Don't let it sway you. Charlie just likes to play hardball. That's why the scrolling messages are being blocked. Dish will undoubtfully have the Viacom channels, what remains to be seen is just how long we will be without them. Personally I don't care for those channels at all, but I understand they're popular. In the end what we will end up with is a better contract and lower prices. I'm all for that.

Too late. He lost me before I even activated service. This whole thing is definetly not a good PR thing for Echostar. Why do we never hear about directv's dealings with providers? Because its bad business to cause a fuss like e* is.

The last thing I want to do is worry whether or not I'll have a channel I've paid for. Ironically I received a telemarketing call drom e* today. Before the CSR could even begin his pitch I told him, "sorry I'm not intersested, take me off your list," and hung up.

WLong - what consumer laws are you specifically referring to? I am not aware of any that will completely nullify a contract that you agreed to in the first place. Do you not think that Dish, or for that matter, ANY sat provider's lawyers have gone over this kind of thing with a fine tooth comb, and are well aware what they can and cannot get away with?

skaeight - Do you really think that Directv's contract is all that much different? You better read the fine print before signing.

It's the same with any provider, there will be clauses such as this in any contract.

I agree with AppliedAggression, personally I don't watch Viacom channels that much, but I understand they are popular. Dish will end up with a better contract and be able to keep rates lower than the competition.

WLong said:
I think its amazing that such a concise statement was followed up by an assumption and a flame at folks you don't even know.

Bill

I meant no flame - I was giving them the benefit the of the doubt.

Is it your opinion that those folk entered into a contract with no intention of honoring this and possibly other clauses? Now, THAT wouldn't be right to suggest.

You have a nice day.

Jerry

M Law said:
skaeight - Do you really think that Directv's contract is all that much different? You better read the fine print before signing.

No, I obviously realize that d*'s contract is no different. The difference for me is that Directv doesn't play these games. They didn't mess around with viacom, they came to an agreement for carriage of their stations. The current price increase already includes that viacom deal. Dish's current price increase does not. D* just seems to be a healthier business right now.

Not to mention rupert has a few bargaining chips that charlie doesn't. Directv seems to just want to get the best product out to their customers, while charlie wants bingo tv and cricket.

I am also going to mention the fact that DirecTv does not have such problems as Dish does. I think part of this may have something with Dish wanting to keep more of their money, and we will see our rate increases anyway from year to year.

Do you really think we will not see a rate increase next year or that it will have much of an effect on it if Dish has to pay the higher price for the Viacom channels or not?

First, when all is said and done, Dish and Viacom will work out a deal. There's never been a situation like this (that I can recall) where a video provider and programmer permanently separated.
Second, who says other providers don't have the same problems as Dish? They're just not as public. I recall DirecTV had a potential dispute with Trio that became public but was eventually resolved. Charlie just likes to make his disputes public to gain leverage. I get a big kick out of how so many people go into a blue panic when they think they're going to lose a few precious channels. It's not life or death. And if you really think these two sides won't reach a deal, you're not living in the real world.
Why not just wait and see what happens before getting worked into a fit! Remember, it's only TV!
(But just try and take away my HD big screen!!!!!)

What Contract?

I just finished reading all the comments in this thread. Are there people that actually signed a written contract? I upgraded to a 510 approximately 40 days ago. I placed the order over the phone. The Dish Rep stated that the 510 was free if I kept Top 50 for two years. I never signed a written contract. I did make a verbal contract that I would keep Top 50 for two years.

When the installer finished the install my son signed an install document (I was not at home). The installer document was not a Dish document and did not say anything about a committment.

I am not planning on leaving Dish (just yet anyway) I have been a customer since 1995. My first receiver was a D-VHS with Dolby Digital. Dish let that unit die. They never provided support or upgrades. Still, I have stuck with Dish because I get distant networks and Directv will not give them to me. Losing CBS is imnportant to me! I just don't know if I want to go through the hassal of trying to stop Dish.

By the way, my VOOM will be installed on Saturday.

RickyMac said:
I just finished reading all the comments in this thread. Are there people that actually signed a written contract? I upgraded to a 510 approximately 40 days ago. I placed the order over the phone. The Dish Rep stated that the 510 was free if I kept Top 50 for two years. I never signed a written contract. I did make a verbal contract that I would keep Top 50 for two years.

When the installer finished the install my son signed an install document (I was not at home). The installer document was not a Dish document and did not say anything about a committment.

I am not planning on leaving Dish (just yet anyway) I have been a customer since 1995. My first receiver was a D-VHS with Dolby Digital. Dish let that unit die. They never provided support or upgrades. Still, I have stuck with Dish because I get distant networks and Directv will not give them to me. Losing CBS is imnportant to me! I just don't know if I want to go through the hassal of trying to stop Dish.

By the way, my VOOM will be installed on Saturday.

You probably have the equivelent of a EULA. Where they say that by you paying your first bill, that you agree to the contract. If you fight it most likely, you will win. Ask them for somethign that you signed that said that you agreed to this. I work for a sales organization. A few years ago, a sales guy got an AT&T cell phone and signed up for 1 year service. The service sucked. He called to cancel. They said that he owed $200. He said to fax him a signed agreement. In the end they settled for getting the phone back. I doubt dish will go after you, but I am currently waiting.

-Frank

Remember Dish has been forced to drop the channels which is a far cry from Dish voluntarily dropping the channels.

Exactly

I still don't see how the cable companies and D* were able to get a deal done with Viacom yet E* who reportedly was going to get the SAME deal couldn't get it done. D* only raised their rates up to $3 more a month as well.

RickyMac said:
I like Dish too, but Dish has not been forced to do anything.
The judge ruling/overseeing this negociations between Dish and Viacom has ordered the channels dropped from Dish's service if there was no agreement between the two parties so Dish was indeed forced to remove the channels!

Neutron said:
Exactly

I still don't see how the cable companies and D* were able to get a deal done with Viacom yet E* who reportedly was going to get the SAME deal couldn't get it done. D* only raised their rates up to $3 more a month as well.
The reason is the others had their contract expire last year (or more then a year ago) and did new ones with Viacom before Viacom decided this year to start jacking up their prices and forcing packages on the content providers. If DirecTV or the other cable companies had to do new contracts this year they would be just as beligerant as Dish is being now.

Speaking of contract termination, I've seen people saying they would have to pay their retailer $$hundreds in addition to the $240 to Dish.

I don't see anything in my retailer's paperwork about any additional charge, other than the $240 on the Dish Network agreement. There is a line that says that if the equipment is returned within 30 days, they will not refund the installation fee. However, if I did cancel, we wouldn't be returning the HW.

So, can they charge their own ETF, even if there is nothing in writing, other than Dish's $240? (Nothing mentioned verbally either.)

GaryPen said:
Speaking of contract termination, I've seen people saying they would have to pay their retailer $$hundreds in addition to the $240 to Dish.

I don't see anything in my retailer's paperwork about any additional charge, other than the $240 on the Dish Network agreement. There is a line that says that if the equipment is returned within 30 days, they will not refund the installation fee. However, if I did cancel, we wouldn't be returning the HW.

So, can they charge their own ETF, even if there is nothing in writing, other than Dish's $240? (Nothing mentioned verbally either.)

Check on their website, or wherever you signed up. I went through VMCsatellite and they claim I owe them $290 if I am not with dish for a year. If Dish lets me out of the agreement, I will send them a registered letter letting them know DISH has released me from my obligation and I expect them to do the same. If they still ding me for $290, I will ask for a contract that I signed. They cannot provide one since I did not sign one and I will reverse the charges. Then, they may take me to court for $290, but I doubt it. And if they do, they will have to prove that I signed an agreement. Anyone have a lawyer friend who could comment on this?

How will DISH make you pay

ezyemail said:
I was just informed:

If Viacom pulls the programing, Every DISH customer must be let out of their contract (Due to breach of contract)

Dish must provide service (including Viacom channels) and you end of the contract is to pay your bill.

Dish will lose millions of customers if this happens. :no

I send DISH a check every month. I can cancell my credit card that they have the number for, and just stop paying them. What are they going to do sue me. I think not.

TEX

Tex Ram said:
I send DISH a check every month. I can cancell my credit card that they have the number for, and just stop paying them. What are they going to do sue me. I think not.

TEX
No. But, they will send the account to a collection agency, and the delinquent payment status will be reported to the 3 major credit reporting agencies, lowering your FICA score and creditworthiness.

fbruno said:
Check on their website, or wherever you signed up. I went through VMCsatellite and they claim I owe them $290 if I am not with dish for a year. If Dish lets me out of the agreement, I will send them a registered letter letting them know DISH has released me from my obligation and I expect them to do the same. If they still ding me for $290, I will ask for a contract that I signed. They cannot provide one since I did not sign one and I will reverse the charges. Then, they may take me to court for $290, but I doubt it. And if they do, they will have to prove that I signed an agreement. Anyone have a lawyer friend who could comment on this?

I ordered it verbally, and did not gign anything stating any additonal fee other than the $240 Dish charges. I think I'll just call them, and inquire.

I wish Scott or another Dish retailer would chime in here, so we know exactly what the deal is with these retailer-purchased early cancellations. If the retailer gets hit by E, and I don't pay them, I'd feel quite bad. OTOH, if there is nothing in writing that says I have to pay them...

Also, if E decides to let people out of their contracts without an ETF, does that mean no hit for the retailer, and conversely, no 2nd hit to us?

Credit report

GaryPen said:
No. But, they will send the account to a collection agency, and the delinquent payment status will be reported to the 3 major credit reporting agencies, lowering your FICA score and creditworthiness.

I ordered it verbally, and did not gign anything stating any additonal fee other than the $240 Dish charges. I think I'll just call them, and inquire.

I wish Scott or another Dish retailer would chime in here, so we know exactly what the deal is with these retailer-purchased early cancellations. If the retailer gets hit by E, and I don't pay them, I'd feel quite bad. OTOH, if there is nothing in writing that says I have to pay them...

Also, if E decides to let people out of their contracts without an ETF, does that mean no hit for the retailer, and conversely, no 2nd hit to us?

If I have not received the services than they have nothing to collect on. A contract is a legal matter, not dealt with by collection agencies. What would DISH report to the credit reporting companies, I owe them for something I did not get? Credit by definition is I will pay you later for what you give me today.

The worst part of this whole deal for dish is that new subscribers on the dha have no contract....as a retailer im screwed! Remember....if you cancel new subscriber deals only happen once...next ime there is no break.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)