Early Termination Fee - No Line of Sight after Moving

Self installs are a bad idea. Obviously Dish and most likely Directv management have recognized that..
Now, anyone is free to purchase equipment for self install. But NOOOO....Purchase?!!! Are you out of your mind?!!!!! We want it free ANNNNND an opportunity to screw it up.

And self-installs would take us back to the days of dishes on roofs with tapcons, mounted to trees, and not sealed properly. It seems like a lot of these guys that claim to be able to do their own installs usually miss some of the most basic procedures that are used nowadays. No more crimp fittings. Wire braid wrapped all around the center conductor. Having a clear LOS directly in front of the LNB, but not understanding the signal comes from the left or right of the dish arm. Personally, I don't care to go back to those days of pulling up to dishes on cinder blocks and having to spend hours trying to fix (install) what is coded on my work order as a trouble call.

And I agree about customers not even reading the instructions on how to connect RA'ed rcvrs. Most of the time, they are sitting on the table still in the box. Dish customers are probably the least competent when it comes to technology because Dish Network has babied them for so long. Need new batteries in a remote? We'll send a tech so we don't lose you as a customer. Got a new DVD player? Send a tech to connect it. Don't know how to put TV back on channel 60? Send a tech. Can't open the flap on the front of the box to reset the rcvr? Send a tech. Don't want to read the instructions included in the box on how to DVR? Send a tech for customer education. Dish Network is clearly the service provider of choice for frugal, no money-paying, wanting everything for nothing, litigious customers. It's a fact that the customers who pay the least, demand the most.

The moral of the story....Installers must really think people are dumb.That's a great way to build a relationship!Reading back through several of these posts I see customers being called stupid,dumb,not too bright.Really nice.:facepalm

Sorry, I did not see that as a theme.
The reality is that this equipment is far beyond the technical know how of the average person.
That's not a character flaw. It's not an insult. It's just reality.
It's a shame you feel slighted. Cannot come up with a reason as to why.

And self-installs would take us back to the days of dishes on roofs with tapcons, mounted to trees, and not sealed properly. It seems like a lot of these guys that claim to be able to do their own installs usually miss some of the most basic procedures that are used nowadays. No more crimp fittings. Wire braid wrapped all around the center conductor. Having a clear LOS directly in front of the LNB, but not understanding the signal comes from the left or right of the dish arm. Personally, I don't care to go back to those days of pulling up to dishes on cinder blocks and having to spend hours trying to fix (install) what is coded on my work order as a trouble call.

And I agree about customers not even reading the instructions on how to connect RA'ed rcvrs. Most of the time, they are sitting on the table still in the box. Dish customers are probably the least competent when it comes to technology because Dish Network has babied them for so long. Need new batteries in a remote? We'll send a tech so we don't lose you as a customer. Got a new DVD player? Send a tech to connect it. Don't know how to put TV back on channel 60? Send a tech. Can't open the flap on the front of the box to reset the rcvr? Send a tech. Don't want to read the instructions included in the box on how to DVR? Send a tech for customer education. Dish Network is clearly the service provider of choice for frugal, no money-paying, wanting everything for nothing, litigious customers. It's a fact that the customers who pay the least, demand the most.

Two things..well three.
Senior citizens should NOT have DVR's or dual tuner receivers.
There are people who upon being shown the basic basics (on, off, volume, change channels) will hand the remote back to the tech when asked to demonstrate whether or not they can handle these simple operations.
Then there are the people who literally fight with the equipment. Insisting it should work they way THEY believe it should.

Two things..well three.
Senior citizens should NOT have DVR's or dual tuner receivers.
There are people who upon being shown the basic basics (on, off, volume, change channels) will hand the remote back to the tech when asked to demonstrate whether or not they can handle these simple operations.
Then there are the people who literally fight with the equipment. Insisting it should work they way THEY believe it should.

I'm sure you are being generic, but let me say that I am 69 years old and I have an extremely good grasp of my equipment, how it works, how to make it do what it is supposed to, and yes, even report real issues. I really take umbrage at your statement regarding senior citizens! Not all of us are alike.....

Sorry, I did not see that as a theme.
The reality is that this equipment is far beyond the technical know how of the average person.
That's not a character flaw. It's not an insult. It's just reality.
It's a shame you feel slighted. Cannot come up with a reason as to why.

Nope,I don't feel slighted dishcomm.I'm sure there are some that do though.

Dish Network is clearly the service provider of choice for frugal, no money-paying, wanting everything for nothing, litigious customers. It's a fact that the customers who pay the least, demand the most.

WOW!! Did you really type that?Talk about stereo typing,and furthermore belittling dish customers.I have to ask are you a dish installer?

Don't forget the most important part. "Its always the tech's fault".

The moral of the story....Installers must really think people are dumb.That's a great way to build a relationship!Reading back through several of these posts I see customers being called stupid,dumb,not too bright.Really nice.:facepalm

You have to realize the difference between the folks that frequent this forum, and the average consumer. If you spend time here, you obviously have a better idea than most people how the equipment works, and are likely to be able to perform a functional install. The average consumer can't, especially with how complicated the equipment has gotten as of late. This isn't the good old days where you spent $60 and they sent you a box with a dish 300 kit, 100' of cable with crimp fittings on each end and a 2800 receiver. Most people could install that. "Honey, hold my beer. I'm gonna stick this dish on the fence." Now we have Hopper/Joey systems that are significantly more complicated and touchy. The intent isn't to insult anyone. I do hope you understand what we're trying to say.

You have to realize the difference between the folks that frequent this forum, and the average consumer. If you spend time here, you obviously have a better idea than most people how the equipment works, and are likely to be able to perform a functional install. The average consumer can't, especially with how complicated the equipment has gotten as of late. This isn't the good old days where you spent $60 and they sent you a box with a dish 300 kit, 100' of cable with crimp fittings on each end and a 2800 receiver. Most people could install that. "Honey, hold my beer. I'm gonna stick this dish on the fence." Now we have Hopper/Joey systems that are significantly more complicated and touchy. The intent isn't to insult anyone. I do hope you understand what we're trying to say.

Oh I get it,loud and clear.I also agree about the more intricate sat systems these days.As I mentioned in my first post,concerning having the option of self install,some setups definitely would require an installer.Swapping out a receiver,or installing a 311/211 type receiver isn't rocket science.That is my point,I just don't understand why Dish or DTV for that matter has to send a truck for such simple setups.But,that's neither here nor there,this thread has turned into some installers insulting the intelligence of Dish customers.I have no issue with it,I know what I'm capable of but,I'll bet there are others that will read some of these posts and take offense at some of the comments,rightfully so.

I can say this though, if society is as dumb as most around here think,we are in big trouble.

We are in big trouble! What's most sobering is that all these (pardon the phrase) brain damaged idiots all get to vote just like you or I. :( And I will shut up now or get banished to The Pit.

We are in big trouble! What's most sobering is that all these (pardon the phrase) brain damaged idiots all get to vote just like you or I. :( And I will shut up now or get banished to The Pit.

So your implying that the film idiocracy wasn't really a work of fiction,but more like a prognostication?

I went round and round with this "self-install" issue when Dish would NOT let me install a 622 receiver if I bought it directly from Dish taking advantage of incentives I'd earned. I took it all the way up to a VP who finally said "They didn't have a process for that". They literally had no code in their computer that would allow them to put a receiver in a box and send it to me. I was replacing a 721 and the cabling would change exactly zero. All I had to do was plug in the cables that were already there; plug in the receiver into an outlet; let it download its program; and call Dish to activate the receiver and deactivate the 721. NOPE.... It was the closest I came in 16 years as a Dish customer to canceling service.

After talking with some of the people on the way up the chain, I heard horror stories of botched self-installs. And thinking about it as a tech (in another field) myself, I know that 90% of the people that claim to know how to do something (as easy as running a camera, sound or even a computer) have NO CLUE what they are doing. Though I still think a self-install option should be available, I go back to the old adage: No one ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the public.

Oh I get it,loud and clear.I also agree about the more intricate sat systems these days.As I mentioned in my first post,concerning having the option of self install,some setups definitely would require an installer.Swapping out a receiver,or installing a 311/211 type receiver isn't rocket science.That is my point,I just don't understand why Dish or DTV for that matter has to send a truck for such simple setups.But,that's neither here nor there,this thread has turned into some installers insulting the intelligence of Dish customers.I have no issue with it,I know what I'm capable of but,I'll bet there are others that will read some of these posts and take offense at some of the comments,rightfully so.
Take a minute to read some posts in the HWS upgrade thread. Apparently, we do have the ability to swap out a receiver...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/314621-New-Upgrade-Prices-for-Hopper-w-Sling

I'm sure you are being generic, but let me say that I am 69 years old and I have an extremely good grasp of my equipment, how it works, how to make it do what it is supposed to, and yes, even report real issues. I really take umbrage at your statement regarding senior citizens! Not all of us are alike.....

No two people are alike.
However, generally speaking, this is through my observations. I had 12 years in the business. I have been in customer service in one form or another for the better part of 25 years

They should not take offense. In fact they should applaud the responses.
The negative reaction to customer self installs is not meant to insult anyone. It's pointing out reality.
And there is no such thing as simply hooking up a receiver and it works.
One must know the correct procedure to begin and then confirm the proper software download. Must be able to determine whether or not there are any errors.
Most people cannot do this. Then they have to get the programming activated. Which in and of itself can be an adventure.

No two people are alike.
However, generally speaking, this is through my observations. I had 12 years in the business. I have been in customer service in one form or another for the better part of 25 years

I worked in the telephone business for 40 years. Yeah not everyone is hep, so to speak, but not everyone is in the pits....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)