Early Termination Fee - No Line of Sight after Moving

Anyone who has been through this, please share your experiences. I'm both disappointed and angry right now.

I had an appointment over the weekend to get Dish service installed, after moving into a different house.

The technicians arrived and started doing their site survey and couldn't find the satellites from the yard. So they went to the roof and still could not get a signal.
So they proceeded to call their manager on-site, who confirmed that there was no line of sight and told me to contact Dish and that I could cancel my service.
I was feeling okay about this at the time. I have a Hopper system and absolutely love it, but I could deal with the alternatives, whether they be cable or satellite.

All of these "okay" feelings ended, once I called Dish and was told that I still had to pay the early termination fee on my account even though I could not receive Dish service at my house. As you can imagine, I was borderline irate... I asked to speak to a supervisor and did. He, however, explained the same thing to me, that the early termination fee could not be waived no matter how unfair it seemed. He proceed to give me a snail mail address for Dish dispute resolution, and suggested that I write a letter.

I'm asking for experiences and advice from anyone who's been through this or something similar. Am I screwed? I still have 18 months of contract left, which is quite a bit of money in termination fees!

I am an internal tech I find it hard to believe that the techs couldnt find los unless you are completely surrounded by trees or tall buildings. Trees can be trimmed or cut down, now tall buildings are a different story. I work mainly in small town usa and in rural areas so tall buildings are never an issue and if there is some kind of tree or something in the way the customerusually will get their chain saw and go to cutting trees up to get service installed. We have a dish pointer app on our phones that if the tech calibrates it correctly that it will show them where the satellites are.

facepalm.jpg

Not everyone can, or will, trim or cut down trees

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I have found that many tech who claim they cant find los well are being lazy and dont want to do a long cable run or take the time to walk around the customers property to find los, we have many different options on mounting dishes from temp pads to pole mounts to rail mounts to different kinds of fascia/gable/under eve mounts. I know I have been working in the field for 15+ years(not for dish) that my fsm has me go out to verify if los cant be found by a young inexperienced tech.

Now dealing with a customers landlord is a different story.

In Reply to your post [post=3433497]#3433497[/post]
Not everyone can, or will, trim or cut down trees

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I have found that many tech who claim they cant find los well are being lazy and dont want to do a long cable run or take the time to walk around the customers property to find los, we have many different options on mounting dishes from temp pads to pole mounts to rail mounts to different kinds of fascia/gable/under eve mounts. I know I have been working in the field for 15+ years(not for dish) that my fsm has me go out to verify if los cant be found by a young inexperienced tech.

And not everywhere in the country is as open as Oklahoma (which you stated elsewhere as your area). There are plenty of legit NLOS that are not from lazy techs. Also the elevations needed can be pretty low in some areas (i.e. WA dish in eastern areas of the country) I know some folks have stated that the 129 is in the low 20's for elevation. So if locals are on WA you'll get a NLOS because the customer wants their locals.

Just because you've been doing this for so long doesn't mean that you're correct and the techs and the fsm in this situation were being lazy. But, congratulations, if the OP decides to call Dish back out after the first cancellation, you've just created a 2nd cancellation for them. And you know how much Dish hates cancellations. Well done, buddy.
Why don't you come over to the Installer Zone and teach us a thing or two?
P.S., Are you aware that it's against Dish policy to point out to the customer which trees to cut down? Apparently having to refund customers all across the nation a bunch of money for cutting down the wrong trees got the higher-ups at corporate a little twisted and they put an end to that, citing it as an liability issue.

Just because you've been doing this for so long doesn't mean that you're correct and the techs and the fsm in this situation were being lazy. But, congratulations, if the OP decides to call Dish back out after the first cancellation, you've just created a 2nd cancellation for them. And you know how much Dish hates cancellations. Well done, buddy.
Why don't you come over to the Installer Zone and teach us a thing or two?
P.S., Are you aware that it's against Dish policy to point out to the customer which trees to cut down? Apparently having to refund customers all across the nation a bunch of money for cutting down the wrong trees got the higher-ups at corporate a little twisted and they put an end to that, citing it as an liability issue.

that is what the dish pointer app it gives you a general graphic presentation of where the satellites are and then if los might be skecthy you punch in the customers zip code into the sat buddy meter to get your elevation and azimuth and then use that information to use the inclinometer to get a more accurate los picture. I do all this before I tell a customer they need a tree trimmed or removed that is the last ditch option, if addressing the tree is not an option for them, then I will cancel a work order.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts