Early Termination Fee - No Line of Sight after Moving

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Did they try to get LOS on both arc's?

This is why I don't like contracts and will always buy my equipment, never know what my come up, however if this is Dish's policy now, I would be pissed off too.

edit: I really should refresh these pages before posting, got beat to the question while reading another thread

Just another reason I will not do contracts. I bought my equipment from an online vendor.
I also do not do contracts with wireless companies for cell service.

Requiring a customer to pay a fee when Dish is incapable of providing that customer service at a new location is simply a terrible business practice.
The customer & Dish did not sign a contract based on a new location, it was signed based on the previous location, and only finalized after installation was successfully completed.

The customer & Dish did not sign a contract based on a new location, it was signed based on the previous location, and only finalized after installation was successfully completed.

Obviously, and that doesn't really have a bearing on my point (I am a lawyer, by the way, so I understand the finer points of contract law. I just don't think enforcement of the ETF makes much sense in this situation). It's sort of like how I feel about Dish charging customers to return equipment if they cancel--it seems punitive and would probably make a former customer less likely to return in the future. That fee can be waived, at least.

Requiring a customer to pay a fee when Dish is incapable of providing that customer service at a new location is simply a terrible business practice. Just because you're "right" in a legal sense doesn't necessarily mean it's the correct or even reasonable course of action to take (particularly in a case such as this, where the equipment is loaned and Dish reacquires it, anyway).

This is the correct answer to it all. Dish is legally right and can charge the customer based on the contract signed. That's what contracts are for. Now, with that said, it doesn't make it reasonable or morally right for Dish to charge. It would be in Dish's best interest to wave that fee in an instance like this.

You can connect a device up to a broadband connection to bring in Sprint, Verizon, AT&T signal to your cellular devices. This would allow you to get away with having no cell service at your home but still get the service. A broadband connection can also bring you streaming video online, sling video from another location, etc.

I have a Motorola Defy that allows calls over my broadband/wireless connection, rather than T-mobile cell phone towers. Unfortunately, calls made that way still consume my voice minutes. :(

I have a Motorola Defy that allows calls over my broadband/wireless connection, rather than T-mobile cell phone towers. Unfortunately, calls made that way still consume my voice minutes. :(

AT&T charges you $20 and you get unlimited minutes and data through the device connected to your broadband connection.

AT&T charges you $20 and you get unlimited minutes and data through the device connected to your broadband connection.
Sprint's is free to use, and they're even shipping it to me free. The only change is I have to pay the 911/per line charge on it, which is $1.50 in Ga.

Usage is normal, based on my unlimited data and unlimited evening calls and calls to cells. I have a bunch of minutes for calls to landlines during the day, but they're hardley ever used.

And here lies the problem. Techs are under scrutiny in two opposing directions. One, the job must be done to Dish specifications. One of which is the line of sight for the antenna MUST have 5 degrees clearance in all 4 directions( up down left and right), if not, should the job be inspected, the job will fail. FOr an in-house tech it means a disciplinary write-up or termination. For contractor techs, the pay for the job is taken from them.
The other issue is completion rate statistics. Techs are constantly hounded to keep up their numbers. Low numbers can result in disciplinary action against the techs.

Wow. No wonder you guys get cranky at times, I would be too. As for me I put my faith in the techs before someone sitting in a cubicle that sometimes doesn't have a clue.

And no one forced you to sign a contract that included the subsidised install. Pay full price up front including the install and you can walk away when you want.

Besides the install,where is the subsidy?All the equipment is leased and has to be returned by the customer,on their dime too.Not to mention the fact,that no one forces these companies to subsidize new customers in the first place.

The OP, and anyone else in this situation, should call Dish for a service call and complain that their "service isn't working. It says it's 'searching for satellite'." and make them send out a tech. Keep doing that until Dish agrees to waive the ETF ! :D

And no one forced you to sign a contract that included the subsidised install. Pay full price up front including the install and you can walk away when you want.

That's where the alleged "subsidy" is, in the install? What if there's no install needed? Same pricing, no contract?

I'm not at all convinced it's that easy. The inference there is you can not move unless it's to where Dish provides service, or face paying them for providing you no service. That last part is a huge sticking point. Again, I don't know what a court outcome would be but as often as I have said you signed a contract did you read it, I view this as a slightly different scenario. This isn't just about you moving, it's also that the person (company) demanding to be paid will not provide you services there. Is it all the fault of someone who has to move? I just don't know. Another way to say it, would a court say a person must know for two years they will live where Dish gives them service? Is that reasonable. There are examples where that would be the case, even in my profession so I don't see either side being a clear winning case.

You do not have to pay them for service you are not getting. Simply pay the fee required to end your contract. The fee you agreed to when you entered the contract.

So them no longer offering a service that you still pay for isn't a breach of contract.Or,how about them not making 100% sure there is no way to get service.Again,I think a decent legal team could win a case like that,at the very least get a quick settlement.

They are still offering you the service at the contract residence.

I don't really see what the argument is here anymore. I think it's clear that the customer would be in violation of the contract and would have to pay the cancellation fee. It's up to Dish to decide it it's morally right to charge this customer being in the situation he is in. Dish has to decide if they want to waive the fee to this customer in order to keep him happy and hopefully he will come back to Dish or recommend a friend to Dish. Regardless of what everyone is saying about right and wrong, he would be in violation of his contract.

What's the point of this debate? The OP has not reported whether he did or didn't get relief. In fact, he hasn't even reported that he tried, based on advice here.

Worst case scenario put on pause as long as possible. Drop the hopper/joeys & go with 1 211/311 with the welcome pack. It will still be nearly the same price as the etf, but at least not all at once & will be spread out.

I agree with the others, wa is different than ea as far as los. Even directv is higher across the horizon than dish's wa.

From what I have been told from someone in the Dish Loyalty Department, putting the account on Dish Pause will cost $5.00 a month. Time spent on pause does not count towards the commitment. That is the only down side. To buy out the remaining time on the contract it is $10 for every month you have remaining.

Requiring a customer to pay a fee when Dish is incapable of providing that customer service at a new location is simply a terrible business practice. Just because you're "right" in a legal sense doesn't necessarily mean it's the correct or even reasonable course of action to take (particularly in a case such as this, where the equipment is loaned and Dish reacquires it, anyway).

Hmmm. Let's see. This is the customer's perspective, and THIS....

Requiring DISH to lose revenue after the customer signed a contract because the customer is incapable of receiving service at a new location is simply a terrible business expectation. Just because you're "right" in a moral sense doesn't necessarily mean it's the correct or even reasonable course of action to take (particularly in a case such as this, where the equipment is loaned and Dish reacquires it, anyway).

There...That's better.

Hmmm. Let's see. This is the customer's perspective, and THIS....

There...That's better.

Because lord knows a business never succeeds by viewing their actions through their "customer's perspective"! Oh wait...

Dish loyalists will defend this action. Most potential customers would be turned off by it. (And I'm a mostly-satisfied Dish customer, by the way). Considering that everyone offers new customer discounts and free installation, most customers aren't going to even recognize the "subsidy," anyway.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)