EAS Test - How is this Possible?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TheTechGuru

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Texas
as many know I am "moved" and get out of market locals via my DirecTV.

Today there was a EAS test while watching the out of market CBS. To my surprise the EAS test banner listed the counties in the market I am physically in and not the counties in the market of the CBS channel I was actually watching.

How is this possible? Is the EAS test banner generated by the DirecTV receiver using the zip code entered into the weather app or something?

Good question, I have no answer for you. Anyone got an idea?

i doubt it. they're required to do EAS every so often, so the locals MUST display them, regardless of internet connection. theres probably a zip code somewhere that is still set to physical address

Receiver is a H24 not connected to phone line or network.

Unless it is part of a SWM network that has another receiver that is internet connected, or a broadband adapter on it.

If not internet, Than it most likely is tied to the weather app zip entry or the original setup "satellite setup" zip entry which is optional and displays the coordinates to aim to.

So the EAS does not come from the Station you are watching with Satellite TV? Is it sent over the top of the local broadcast by Direct or DISH? If it comes from the Station it would seen there is no way to get an EAS anything different than the one for that station. Since an EAS from a different location than the channel be watched was received, I have to conclude it comes from Direct. But why, and how?

EAS can come both ways. The local station can do EAS, and DirecTV can do EAS both nationally and by a local area.

In the op's note, they were watching an out of market distant network, and received a local test, indicating it came from DirecTV and not the station.

Reactions: ejb1980
Yes, it appears it can come both ways, but does Direct TV have tests separate from the actual stations? (Another words you would get two tests?) And it would be interesting to know what info Direct uses to determine where you are. Apparently not by what locals you get or not only by that.

if D* runs their own EAS, then its possible they just put it on one of the spot beams and the box will automatically just display it if the box receives it at all. *shrug*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)