Easiest way to bury cable?

Traindune

Original poster
Jun 5, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
I have been working for DISH for over 6 months but have recently transferred to cable so im doing alot more cable bury. Is there any tips or tricks to make the coax bury easier from day to day? Maybe a small trench tool or specialized shovel?

I'm not a professional cable installer but I have done a little in my line of work. I have used a landscape "edger" or roof/floor scraper (like roofers use to scrape off old shingles) - these don't go very deep but they work to slit the turf and soil without actually digging a trench. I've also used a landscape shovel which can go much deeper but the rounded shovel doesn't make as clean of a slit. For bigger jobs I have rented a power knife or trenching machine.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Traindune!

I've used an edger like ts7 suggests, they work fine. Depending upon the install, you may wish to put the cable in a conduit to keep it from being damaged.

They make a tool that rolls across the surface that puts a slit into the ground. Not sure what it is called. I heard someone talk about it recently and saw a Primestar installer use one 20 years ago so they have been around for a while. I am surprised that none of the Directv and Dish installers are provided with one to use on their installs. I have used a shovel to slit the ground and put my foot on the shovel to push the dirt up to make enough room for the cable. Can't hardly tell the ground was touched when I am done unless the ground is difficult or I run into rocks or roots.

... unless the ground is difficult or I run into rocks or roots.
You just described my yard! Lots of clay to boot, too.

Don't forget to call 811 before digging to identify any possible buried utilities!

They make a tool that rolls across the surface that puts a slit into the ground. Not sure what it is called. I heard someone talk about it recently and saw a Primestar installer use one 20 years ago so they have been around for a while. I am surprised that none of the Directv and Dish installers are provided with one to use on their installs. I have used a shovel to slit the ground and put my foot on the shovel to push the dirt up to make enough room for the cable. Can't hardly tell the ground was touched when I am done unless the ground is difficult or I run into rocks or roots.

Ditch witch

C10059380.jpg :biggrin

Reactions: Traindune
I was not talking about a ditch witch, that is a machine. I was talking about a tool that done it. I seen the Primestar installer use it 20 years ago but have not seen anybody use one since. He just pushed it along the ground and put the coax into the slit that it made. I heard someone else mention this tool recently as well.

That EZ Trench looks like the ticket, but it only goes down to 7". That's barely good enough to meet electrical codes (6" for circuits under 30V) but it can also be read that "direct burial cable" must be at least 24" below grade.

If you bury a metallic conduit then 6" is sufficient, according to code.
300.5.png

That EZ Trench looks like the ticket, but it only goes down to 7". That's barely good enough to meet electrical codes (6" for circuits under 30V) but it can also be read that "direct burial cable" must be at least 24" below grade.

If you bury a metallic conduit then 6" is sufficient, according to code.
300.5.png

Are you telling me that someone actually Buries the cable more than a few inches?

We don't get paid enough to go 6 inches, definitely not 24

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts