GEOSATpro Easiest way to mount satellite dish??

d00d3l

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
College Station TX
I have no pole, I cannot drill into the house, no buckets of concrete etc. Any way I could mount my GeoSatPRO (with or without roof mount thing) on like a ladder? or any other easy ways to mount it? Just temporarily. Thank you

EDIT: It also has a DiSEqC motor on it. I can remove it, if that makes it easier. It's 35 inches (90 cm) and it is a KU band dish. My friend gave me a bunch of receivers, dishes and stuff he bought. He didn't like it, so he just gave it to me lol.

For the motor to track the satellite arc it has to be attached to a perfectly plumb stable mast of some sort.

If you just want to aim at one satellite you can attach it to a ladder, a tree, the bumper of your vehicle or the leg of a well-mannered goat (that will stand perfectly still).

My first setup was a 90cm dish attached to a pipe in a 5 gallon bucket of concrete, it worked well.

The main thing is to attach to something that will not move, an eight of an inch is enough to lose signal.

Be creative...and good luck!

Reactions: KE4EST
I set a 10 ft. c band dish up on a temporary stand. That was about 9 months ago. The dish isn't set to track the arc but is just fixed at 97*. It went through the March winds and the winter snow without losing a lock. I need to get it set up permanent but just haven't got around to it.

A wooden pallet works well temporarity. Maybe a fence you can attach a mast to... as long as it has a view to the south.

I have a 1.2m Ku dish that has been mounted "temporarily" to a wooden pallet for 3 years now. It worked, and might have to move it one of these days, but it works where it is and I haven't had to retune it for at least two years. Eventually it will rot and the dish will fall over I suppose. Should have painted or stained it; hindsight always 20:20. :)

As has been stated there are many ways to do a mount for temporary purposes. Here is a link to a thread here, that might help you along with your quest: Dish 500 Conversion with Text & Pictures

You might also do a google for portable satellite mounts for some other thoughts. Mine was adapted from such a search.

Good luck and have fun.

Got to thinking after I hit the post button. If you don't even have a J pole, you might watch craigs list as people sometimes give old Dish and Direct TV dishes and mounts away. You might even be able conjure up a method to use a steel fence post, but it wouldn't be very stable.

I have a few dishes (including a 120) mounted to the railing of my deck using the wall-mounts (those mounts with a piece of pipe and a flat support, typically used by Dish Network and Direct TV dishes), attached with clamps. It sometimes needs adjustment as the railing moves a bit with variations of humidity, but it works.

Also, some channels will be more sensitive to the pointing accuracy (or lack thereof) - notably the NBC muxes on 103W (including Cozi), and the Louisiana PBS mux on 87W.

Have fun experimenting - that a big part of what I enjoy with FTA.

Years ago I mounted a Primestar dish just by putting one hole in the ground. I went to HD or Lowe's and bought a pipe with the correct diameter maybe 7 or 8 foot long (can easily be cut with a hacksaw). I hammered one end flat to make a "V" shape wedge which makes it easier to pound in the ground plus keep it from spinning in the hole. Make a starter hole by using a bar as plum as you can then put a wooden block on top and pound away. If you booger up the top you can cut off a couple inches and you can correct the plumb somewhat by hammering some wedges next to the pole in the ground. This was done in Pennsylvania where the ground freezes and thaws and I used it for years hooked up to my 4DTV receiver to pick up Georgia Public Television.

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the replies! I have found a weird, but effective solution. I bought a 2-inch wide 2.3 foot PVC pipe from Lowe's, stuck it in the chimney on our bbq grill. The chimney is 3 inches wide, and that is good, it allows the pipe to enter. After that I took some aluminum cans, crushed them up and stuck them around the pipe and hammered them in so it doesn't let the pipe wobble or turn (easily, at least, still turns sometimes). I then mounted the back of the motor to the pipe, and the motor works! Problem though. I have no idea how to aim a dish, I am new to FTA and satellites. I posted a thread about it, check it out! Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear of your imaginative mount, great. Other ways are a pallet mount as was suggested, with cement blocks or bricks to weigh it down. In a bind just banging a pole deep enough into the ground will work, but it could twist if you don't secure it so what you cold do is attach clamps just below grade to minimize twisting.

I use a folding ladder with two pieces of 4×4 bolted to it to test new dishes on. It's folded into the shape of a sawhorse with cement blocks weighing down both ends. I have a few dishes mounted on tree stumps too.

I had HOA Nazis come up to me, as I am doing the install,telling me I could not install DirecTV. Told them to go look that up.

Never had 1 issue.
If you have a porch or a common that is yours, you can set up your dish.

Please read the rules and stand up for your rights!
Don't be a pussyhat push over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts