East/West coast feeds in HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tom2tone100

Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
I have the east and west coast networks and I will be receiving my new H20 receiver. I currently have a SD receiver. Will I be able to receive the networks in HD?
Thanks

Yes, but I think for HD you'll only get east or west.

Also if you live in a DMA where DirecTV is offering HD locals, then no. But I doubt that for you since you have SD distants...

Last edited:
Considering that that D* has notified a number of subs they will terminate HD-DNS, I wouldn't be so fast to say he will get HD East or West, especially if he is in a market that has HD-LIL.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=64756

As well as other places.

He might be grandfathered on the SD under SHERVA

Last edited:
tom2tone100 said:
I have the east and west coast networks and I will be receiving my new H20 receiver. I currently have a SD receiver. Will I be able to receive the networks in HD?
Thanks

3 things to consider:

1) if you are able to get the hd feeds, you will only be able to receive either east or west, not both.

2) You have to apply for a waiver(yes, even if you already have the sd dns feeds) you will not automatically get them.

3) if you are eligible for the mpeg4 hd locals, you will lose your dns hd feeds.

good luck.

I have the mpeg4 HD locals. I have not and will not lose my HD DNS feeds. I have four current and active waivers....

jabroni said:
...I have not and will not lose my HD DNS feeds. I have four current and active waivers....
And you think your waivers are chiseled in stone and are given to you in perpetuity? Dream on brother, dream on...

jabroni said:
I have the mpeg4 HD locals. I have not and will not lose my HD DNS feeds. I have four current and active waivers....

I wish I could place a bet on this statement. The waivers can be revoked.

Were I live, the local fox station can not put out a SD signal good enough to hit the D* ant for up link. So EVERYONE in the Youngstown DMA gets the fox east coast feed without a waiver. So since the local FOX is not broadcasting HD at all. I asked D* to turn on the Fox east coast HD feed. They said I was lying about getting the SD east coast feed since they are not charging me for it. My new house will lose most of the OTA HD station I currently get including both FOX stations. I will be 30 min closer to Pittsburgh, but still in the y-town DMA. I may cancel my protection plan and get a address so I can get the Pittsburgh locals in mpeg-4. I have to find an address though and figure out how to do this with D*. Any suggestions?

jabroni said:
I have not and will not lose my HD DNS feeds. I have four current and active waivers....

i wouldn't be so sure. waivers can be revoked. i hope it works out for you, but don't be surprised if you lose them. good luck.

VIPERS-PIT said:
... My new house will lose most of the OTA HD station I currently get including both FOX stations. I will be 30 min closer to Pittsburgh, but still in the y-town DMA. I may cancel my protection plan and get a address so I can get the Pittsburgh locals in mpeg-4. I have to find an address though and figure out how to do this with D*. Any suggestions?
Input the various addresses you choose into <D*'s DNS Elegibility Site.> and see what you come up with.

This was originally for SD waivers, but now it also gives info about HD waivers. Not always totally accurate, but still a good reference.

Good Luck! :up

The info they provide DirecTV & Dish Network are predictive models only, and they are forced to abide by them.

Yes but those models are based on full power which a lot of locations not just Denver are not doing. This is very fustrating since it seems that the FCC seems more interested in the stations and not the viewership. Makes me want to write in and have the license pulled for non-complying stations. Waiver of waivers what a great lobby NAB is.....

colofan said:
Yes but those models are based on full power which a lot of locations not just Denver are not doing. This is very fustrating since it seems that the FCC seems more interested in the stations and not the viewership. Makes me want to write in and have the license pulled for non-complying stations. Waiver of waivers what a great lobby NAB is.....

More like a bunch of lying sacks of...

colofan said:
Colfan,

I know this won't help but I thought I would point out that 2 Denver stations, KCNC [CBS - CH4] & KDVR [FOX - CH31] have area grants (waivers) on file for your location, meaning you do not receive a grade B signal from them. They're not a problem regarding waivers in your case.

Your problem is with KGWN [CBS - CH5] & KLWY [FOX - CH27] both located in Cheyenne WY that are listed as having a grade A signal. Not too surprising considering Cheyenne is approx. 50mi. due north of you over totally unobstructed flat terrain.

KLWY was the reason I was initially turned down for a FOX HD waiver (I'm located 45mi. west of Denver in the mountains). A phone call to KLWY's chief engineer settled that. :)

*BTW, obviously I don't know where you live in Loveland, so I just made up an address to access <D*'s DNS Eligibility Site.>

DNS.jpg

Well I am a couple miles out of center of town but as you have posted notice it claims that I can get a grade A from ABC and NBC...... Myabe if they were on lookout mountain and broadcasting at full power. But and that is a big but they aren't there. Being on the republic building and broadcasting 10 Kwatt power each at 45 miles it is impossible to get a grade A signal trust me I have tried and slacker on here could also confirm this as well.

Until they (tv stations) are full power there is no way they have a grade A signal. That is my point about how broken this is and the FCC just granted them wiavers from the digital test process which would prove how poor the signal level is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)