Eastern Arc Dish Info & Install Guide

I live in NJ(metro NYC) and, previously, when I tried to get Dish Network, that was back in 2003, I wasn't able to do so because the installer told me I had no Line of Sight. Taking into account EA, does that mean that I may now be able to have LOS? Also, so that I don't schedule an appointment only to frustrate the installer(and myself) because I still don't have any LOS: what do I have to be able to "see" using a compass to potentially have LOS to the satellites?

If you're in the Newark area or thereabouts, your LOS to EA will be nearly due south.
sorry, could you please be a little more specific? I believe my porch faces South-east, as when I tried to have D* installed, the installer told me that and explained to me I needed to have LOS to southwest.

Load of Questions

I have a few more questions about this new setup.

I currently have a Dish 500 (110, 119) that is always "in trouble" with trees. I also have a Dish 300 at 61.5 which never has a problem with trees. These are connected to a Dish DP34 switch which drives my ViP722 and ViP622.

If I want to dump the Dish 500 and put an Eastern Arc 1000.4 dish where my current 61.5 dish is located, what else do I have to do?

Does the DP34 have to be replaced?

What are my options with regards to getting the signals to my two receivers over the currently installed 4 cables feeding the receivers from the DP34.

I realize I'll need the new SmartCards, but I'm more concerned with the infrastructure right now.

Also, can I replace the 61.5 dish now with a 1000.4 and only use the 61.5 output passing into the DP34 to tide me over until the new cards come out?

THANKS!!!!

sorry, could you please be a little more specific? I believe my porch faces South-east, as when I tried to have D* installed, the installer told me that and explained to me I needed to have LOS to southwest.

Prior to the Eastern Arc of satellites coming online last week at the 61.5, 72.5, and 77 orbital slots, all E* broadcasting came from the so-called Western Arc consisting of the 110, 119, and 129 orbital locations. That is why the installer need a line of sight to the SW since those orb locations are to your SW. Two of the EA sats are a few degree east of due south and one is a few degrees west of due south (180 degrees). Your 1000.4 EA dish will be oriented just about due south to catch all three sat signals. If your porch faces SE then the dish will be pointed somewhat to the right if the direction the porch faces. Here's a link to DishPointer. Enter your address and zip. Select 61.5, 77, and 72.5 to see the actual direction of the sat from your home.

Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

D* sats a few years ago were in the same general location as E*'s and also required a SW line of sight.

1000.4 Dishes available on eBay?

I thought I would pass on my recent findings about the availability of the new 1000.4 dish so I could play around with it.

I was curious to know if there were any of the 1000.4 dishes available on eBay since no one can seem to get them. It seems like there are a couple of sellers with plenty in stock. I bought one and will post my experience once it comes in.

I have a few more questions about this new setup.

I currently have a Dish 500 (110, 119) that is always "in trouble" with trees. I also have a Dish 300 at 61.5 which never has a problem with trees. These are connected to a Dish DP34 switch which drives my ViP722 and ViP622.

If I want to dump the Dish 500 and put an Eastern Arc 1000.4 dish where my current 61.5 dish is located, what else do I have to do?

Does the DP34 have to be replaced?

What are my options with regards to getting the signals to my two receivers over the currently installed 4 cables feeding the receivers from the DP34.

I realize I'll need the new SmartCards, but I'm more concerned with the infrastructure right now.

Also, can I replace the 61.5 dish now with a 1000.4 and only use the 61.5 output passing into the DP34 to tide me over until the new cards come out?

THANKS!!!!
right now as an existing customer, you are inelgible for EA.
To answer your questions. The 34 switch will no longer be necessary, provided you have Dish Pro Plus EQ...Those are, the 322 and 625 in standard def. I assume because you have a DP34, you are Standard Definition. The D-1000.4 LNB is DPP capable. No switch is needed provided the install requires three orbital slots(61.5, 72.7 and future 77) and you have less than 6 tuners( all dual tuner receivers).
Which model receivers do you have currently?

right now as an existing customer, you are inelgible for EA.
To answer your questions. The 34 switch will no longer be necessary, provided you have Dish Pro Plus EQ...Those are, the 322 and 625 in standard def. I assume because you have a DP34, you are Standard Definition. The D-1000.4 LNB is DPP capable. No switch is needed provided the install requires three orbital slots(61.5, 72.7 and future 77) and you have less than 6 tuners( all dual tuner receivers).
Which model receivers do you have currently?

Because I'm existing I may be ineligible for the EA, but I put one up yesterday. I figured out that a switch (like the DP34) is no longer needed. Show's you how far out of the loop I was. Haven't played with the satellite system in the past few years.

I put the 1000.4 up where the 61.5 was, tuned it to 72 and it came up fine on my ViP722 using one wire (so far). My 622 is still connected to the DP34, however it no longer gets 61.5 (obviously).

Assembly and tuning were very easy on the 1000.4. The thing that confused me (as someone who did their Dish 500 back when it first came out) was that the satellite outputs were labeled (61.5, 72, 77), so I thought that was the same as the Dish 500 having 110 and 119 and you needed a switch to get them both to the reveiver.

If you could do a Dish 500 there is no reason you could not handle putting one of these up. In fact, it's even easier to fine tune.

Now I know the deal. It will be great to have a single dish (when 77 comes on and I get the smartcards) instead of having the 61.5 on the house and the Dish 500 out in the yard.

Last edited:
I also put up my 1000.4 dish today but didn't connect the cables as I still don't have my new card yet. I will be using my DPP 44 switch because I still need the K.C. locals on 129.

Scott, did you receive your card that was suppose to be overnighted?

One does not imply the other, in either direction.
Ok how about this...If his DMA is a 118.7 HD local DMa then he would NOT be using a 34 switch because the set up would be a D-1000plus. Additionally, if this customer were in a 1000.2 DMA again, no 34 switch.....The issue is the poster was not specific enough to fully answer his queries...I'm going to be polite and ignore your attempt at humor.

Ok how about this...If his DMA is a 118.7 HD local DMa then he would NOT be using a 34 switch because the set up would be a D-1000plus. Additionally, if this customer were in a 1000.2 DMA again, no 34 switch.....The issue is the poster was not specific enough to fully answer his queries...I'm going to be polite and ignore your attempt at humor.

Sorry. I figured that by stating that I had a ViP622 and a ViP722 for receivers in the original post/question, that would indicate that I was using HD.

To add to the info, I started with Dish 4000 and 5000 receivers, did the whole module upgrades on the 5000, paid the $10 for the HD Discovery Theater when it first appeared, moved to the Dish 500, bought a all of the next gen soon-obsoleted HD boxes that I can't even remember the numbers (721, 921, 942??), etc. I've been with Dish for a long time.

Living with the low look angles has been a real pain. If this EA thing works out, I'll be a happy camper. Can't understand why they're making such a big deal about the smart cards, but I asked for two and will post when I get my answer back from Dish.

Thinking about Dish Network.

Hello All,

I am currently looking at getting Dish Network, but the apartment I live in only gets line of sight for the satellites at 110, 119, and 129 range...basically anything east of 105 wouldn't be able to be picked up, due to a building. Would the Eastern Arc satellites need to be received to get any of the channels in the near future? I know nobody can say with any accuracy 3 years down the line. Also are most of the HD channels on 119 or one of the satellites i can get? I see on Dish Networks page that most channels are assigned to 119 and 72.7, but are these different feeds of the same stuff for people like me who can get one direction but not both?

Thank you!

You're fine, Dish has the same programming on both Eastern and Western Arc. They thought about people just like you that can only point in one direction when they created their new setup. Some locals are on one or the other so that may be a consideration.

You're fine, Dish has the same programming on both Eastern and Western Arc. They thought about people just like you that can only point in one direction when they created their new setup. Some locals are on one or the other so that may be a consideration.

But will it work long term I wonder? i.e. can Dish afford to maintain existing SD and HD local markets stations for eastern US DMAs on both the western arc and the eastern arc? I would be surprised if they intend to allocate their bandwidth that way. Will the HD locals for eastern markets that are on 129 and 61.5 eventually get turned off on 129 and require customers to use 61.5 (or drop the service)? Maybe they have the surplus bandwidth in the western arc to keep the simulcast going long term?

The bigger question for any provider is: Even with MPEG4 will they be able to provide the same amount of channels in HD that are now SD?

At some point in time most of the TV sets in a house will become HD through attrition.

The bigger question for any provider is: Even with MPEG4 will they be able to provide the same amount of channels in HD that are now SD?

At some point in time most of the TV sets in a house will become HD through attrition.

Yes but it will probably take a long long time for that to happen. There are probably lots of people that still use 10+ year old tv's. I know that we have two of them that we use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts