Eastern Arc Dish Info & Install Guide

How old is your 722? It needs to have the new security card to tune into the EA content.
Scott,

What do you mean when you say "EA content?" I was just looking at The List and it looks as if 61.5 only has MPEG4 content at this time and I currently get many of my channels from 61.5 - does that mean that I'm receiving an MPEG4 signal?

I'm currently getting 61.5 with a wing dish but would like to switch to a 1000.4 for future compatibility and to solve a problem with LOS due to tree growth. Are you saying that I won't continue to receive my existing channels if I change dishes? I currently have the HD only package.

Mario

You should call Dish now. When you need the new G3 card they won't be sending it to you since as far as they are concerned you already have it.

Report the installer as he stole from you.

The current 119/110/129 dish is located at about where the plumbing vent pipe is (garage side) and I think is pointed at about 10 o'clock as you face the garage. Very close to the edge. Probably to avoid the rest of the roof. I'm thinking that it wasn't placed at the top ridge because of ladder height restrictions.

I'm pretty sure that the most recent tech said that the 61.5 separate dish would need to point to the left as you face the garage side, that it could be placed by the existing dish, but a tree blocked LOS at that location. He couldn't get to the other side of the roof high enough because of his only ladder was one of those folding types, which I believe is 16 ft fully opened.

With all of the ridges on the roof, I'll be surprised if there are no locations where a 61.5 dish will work.

The utilities are actually on the opposite side from the garage. The tech ran his wires down the roof facia, down the gutter, through a vent, and through the crawl space to get to the distribution box for the pre-existing cable wires.

Works fine except for my inability to get HD locals and probably some other channels that are not availiable on the current 119/110/129 dish.
Okay Here's the deal. After taking the afternoon off from work and meeting the 4th installer, I'm now told that my best bet would be to have a 1000.4 dish installed and to upgrade to the 722 receiver. He said that I could potentially get the 61.5 bird but that there are some LOS problems even with a 2nd dish pointed just to that sat. Unfortunately, I am just a few miles from where Dish Net has approved the 1000.4. The installer said that it is an administrative problem, not a technical one. I didn't totally understand and tried to talk him into negotiating a 1000.4/722 installation for me and he said that wasn't possible. He said that if I wait about a month and recontact Dish they will be able to approve the 1000.4/722 installation. I decided to wait rather than do an iffy install on a 61.5 dish that may or may not have adequate LOS.

Apparently the 1000.4 has a higher look and trees will not be a problem. The installer said that it is designed with HD in mind. Is there part of the scenario that I am not being told or is the installer right in recommending the wait?

Okay Here's the deal. After taking the afternoon off from work and meeting the 4th installer, I'm now told that my best bet would be to have a 1000.4 dish installed and to upgrade to the 722 receiver. He said that I could potentially get the 61.5 bird but that there are some LOS problems even with a 2nd dish pointed just to that sat. Unfortunately, I am just a few miles from where Dish Net has approved the 1000.4. The installer said that it is an administrative problem, not a technical one. I didn't totally understand and tried to talk him into negotiating a 1000.4/722 installation for me and he said that wasn't possible. He said that if I wait about a month and recontact Dish they will be able to approve the 1000.4/722 installation. I decided to wait rather than do an iffy install on a 61.5 dish that may or may not have adequate LOS.

Apparently the 1000.4 has a higher look and trees will not be a problem. The installer said that it is designed with HD in mind. Is there part of the scenario that I am not being told or is the installer right in recommending the wait?

That is possible.

My area doesn't have the 1000.4 yet. But there is a chance when we do get, it will only be approved for part of it at first since we serve local channels for 2 different cities. The 1st city will be approved and then the 2nd later on.

P.S. - I forgot to mention that I also wonder how a 1000.4 will help your situation if LOS to the 61.5 is a problem. I feel like I'm missing something concerning your problem.

Last edited:
There is no way an installer can say a 1000.4 will work when a 61.5 will not work.
Actually, there is a way that he can say it. To that I can testify with absolute certainty. Whether or not he is correct is open to question.

To be more accurate, he said that he probably could get a weak signal from 61.5 but he recommends that I cut the top off of a nearby tree to get more signal strength. He said that 1000.4 has better LOS for my install, and that's what he recommends. I agreed and he called to get permission and they said that they couldn't approve it at this time. The tech said to call back in about a month since the line where approved installs stops is just doen the road.

Now the thing that confuses me is that I questioned the technician and found that it is an administrative problem, not a technical one. I discussed this with him briefly but found that he couldn't or wouldn't go against the Dish admin folks.

I just got off the phone with Dish support and they confirmed what the tech said. They said that the 1000.4 is for people who cannot get a good signal with the conventional dish. I said - That's me. They tried to contact the "hub" but said that they are not corrently available and to call back tomorrow during their regular hours, which he didn't know. He said to try at about 9:30 EST.

I'll call tomorrow as they suggest, but it seems like a very inefficient system. All of this could have been determined on visit one rather than visit 5. Is there some incentive for an installer to make a call but not install a dish? I'm thinking that I must be the victim of a system where there is no real incentive to fix my problems without continual revisits.

EA Content is meant to be content off of 72.7.

So if a person installed a 1000.4 dish as their only dish and they don't have the new security card they would not have access to programming off the 72.7 satellite. That would mean SciFi, HDNet, HDNet Movies, TNT and HD Theater would not be available in the HD only package. Is that correct?

Mario

no, i didnt report it becouse the hd turbo is working.how would it work if the box needed the card. i will call tomorrow, i dont want to be responsible.
he told me that 2 days after it was out, the hackers decoded it and they were told to remove the cards. i never thought twice about it.

So if a person installed a 1000.4 dish as their only dish and they don't have the new security card they would not have access to programming off the 72.7 satellite. That would mean SciFi, HDNet, HDNet Movies, TNT and HD Theater would not be available in the HD only package. Is that correct?

Mario

Yes. That's true. I did it and that's what happened. I went and bought a new 722 and the issue was solved. My exisiting 722 (that I kept) only gets the 61.5 stuff, but I had the pleasure of dismantling and junking my Dish 500 and the original 61.5 dish and associated DP34.

The way the woods had surrounded my house, the 110 and 119 were pretty much useless anyway.

no, i didnt report it becouse the hd turbo is working.how would it work if the box needed the card. i will call tomorrow, i dont want to be responsible.

Report it as fast as you can. Working or not, ask Dish about it. You aren't responsible for it, but the longer you wait, the more difficult it will be if there is an issue.

told me that 2 days after it was out, the hackers decoded it and they were told to remove the cards. i never thought twice about it.

That sounds really dodgy to me. When I go back to work Wednesday I'll ask if that's something they will be having us do. If it is, I'll report back, but I'm about 99% sure that's not right. To the best of my knowledge, we've never done anything like that.

Yes. That's true. I did it and that's what happened. I went and bought a new 722 and the issue was solved. My exisiting 722 (that I kept) only gets the 61.5 stuff, but I had the pleasure of dismantling and junking my Dish 500 and the original 61.5 dish and associated DP34.

The way the woods had surrounded my house, the 110 and 119 were pretty much useless anyway.

Thanks for confirming this for me.

I know what you mean. I'm also having tree problems with my current dish location so I need to do something to fix it. I suppose I could temporarily add a wing dish to 110 or 119 along with the 1000.4, whichever one has the channels I want.

-- Question deleted because info was available in an earlier post... --

Mario

Last edited:
Actually, there is a way that he can say it. To that I can testify with absolute certainty. Whether or not he is correct is open to question.

To be more accurate, he said that he probably could get a weak signal from 61.5 but he recommends that I cut the top off of a nearby tree to get more signal strength. He said that 1000.4 has better LOS for my install, and that's what he recommends. I agreed and he called to get permission and they said that they couldn't approve it at this time. The tech said to call back in about a month since the line where approved installs stops is just doen the road.

Now the thing that confuses me is that I questioned the technician and found that it is an administrative problem, not a technical one. I discussed this with him briefly but found that he couldn't or wouldn't go against the Dish admin folks.

I just got off the phone with Dish support and they confirmed what the tech said. They said that the 1000.4 is for people who cannot get a good signal with the conventional dish. I said - That's me. They tried to contact the "hub" but said that they are not corrently available and to call back tomorrow during their regular hours, which he didn't know. He said to try at about 9:30 EST.

I'll call tomorrow as they suggest, but it seems like a very inefficient system. All of this could have been determined on visit one rather than visit 5. Is there some incentive for an installer to make a call but not install a dish? I'm thinking that I must be the victim of a system where there is no real incentive to fix my problems without continual revisits.
Well, the term in question may be "installer". ;)

If LOS to 61.5 is an issue, 1k.4 is useless to you. However. You should have a look to see if you have a shot at 110/119 and a seperate shot at 61.5. This would allow a two dish solution. Thats is if your HD locals are coming from 61.5..If not all of this is pointless. Unless of course you can receive your HD locals OTA.

Speaking of cards, I got the ViP 612 DVR installed with the second dish (for 61.5) installed Friday, and the 612 doesn't have a card in it. When the installer took my original 301 receiver with the new G3 card in it, he didn't even open the flap to take it out, and I didn't think to ask if I was to keep it at the time. Hrm.

he told me that 2 days after it was out, the hackers decoded it and they were told to remove the cards. i never thought twice about it.

AS long as you aren't on the Eastern Arc you do not need the G3 card yet.

Once the encryption starts to change over in the near future you will slowly lose channels until you do get the G3 card.

This is the same thing that happened during the last card swap.

Think about it this way. Even if the hackers had broken the new card, they've already broken the old card so why pull the new card?

I have a feeling it will end up on Ebay or he has a friend that want to go Eastern Arc.

Speaking of cards, I got the ViP 612 DVR installed with the second dish (for 61.5) installed Friday, and the 612 doesn't have a card in it. When the installer took my original 301 receiver with the new G3 card in it, he didn't even open the flap to take it out, and I didn't think to ask if I was to keep it at the time. Hrm.

No, you're okay. Once the new smart card was activated in your 301, it became identified with that 301 receiver. It basically became a part of that receiver. So it had to go back with the receiver.

I called dishnet today & let them know the installer took the smart card. They said the 722 dvr box doesnt need the card & that i will be getting a card in the mail later. At least i know im not responsible for it.