eastern arc migration confusion

porkyluck

Original poster
May 20, 2008
spoke with dish tech support last night and they said all my channels are on the 72 and 77 satellites, but by reading online that doesn't seem to be the case. i have the everything pack with hd package and locals.

i am currently using a dish 1000 pointing to 110, 119, 129 combined with and a single dish pointing to 61.5.

i want to make sure before i go messing with alignment what i need to point to.

thanks for any help.

currently they are on 61.5 but dish told me i wouldn't need 61.5 any longer....i live in central north carolina.

I think the CSR's message is garbled a bit. If your HD locals are on 61.5, as most all Eastern Arc customers' are, then you most certainly still need 61.5. But it comes automatically with the eastern arc dish. So, you don't need an extra dish for 61.5, since it's already on the 1000.4.

i dont have a 1000.4...i think it is 1000.2.

so it sounds like i just need to keep my single dish on 61.5 then point my 1000 towards 72 and 77?

i dont have a 1000.4...i think it is 1000.2.

so it sounds like i just need to keep my single dish on 61.5 then point my 1000 towards 72 and 77?

Your 1000.2 will not work with 72 & 77. You would need a 1000.4. Different spacing of sats and lnbs. But as already said. You do not need to change anything. You are not missing any channels.

currently they are on 61.5 but dish told me i wouldn't need 61.5 any longer....i live in central north carolina.

If Dish initiated the call, they are offering to upgrade your service to Eastern Arc. Let them come out and install the correct dish (and switches if necessary). I think what the tech was saying is that you would no longer need a separate dish for 61.5 because the new Eastern Arc dish will look at all 3 satellites. Don't let folks here talk you out of an appropriate upgrade. If locals are on 61.5 you should be good to go. The only issue remaining would be a problem with line of sight.

i think we are all confused a tad...lol

the csr told me i was not getting and will not get the new hd channels available if i don't do the switch. i'd rather handle it myself rather than have dish come out, but i def. want to get all the channels i am paying for.

i think we are all confused a tad...lol

the csr told me i was not getting and will not get the new hd channels available if i don't do the switch. i'd rather handle it myself rather than have dish come out, but i def. want to get all the channels i am paying for.
You are currently getting all the channels with your present set-up. You are what is described as a mixed arc set-up. E* is trying to reduce the number of mixed arc set-ups by offering to switch you to the EA.

Yes, what Voyager 6 said. In your case, here is the potential problem: at some point Dish may move your LIL's OFF of 61.5 and onto one of the other EA sats. That means you will lose your LIL's and may have to pay for the reflector upgrade to get them.

Dish is trying to get as many subs on one arc or the other so that they can move ANY of the channels among any of the EA or WA arc sats so they can use the arc most efficiently and subs won't lose their services. Given the history or Dish, on Monday, the LIL's will be at 61.5; then on Tuesday, Dish decides they will be at 77 instead :). Or it may even be a partial transponder failure on 61.5, but all they need to do is squeeze the few channels from that failed transponder onto another EA arc sat, and you still get your channels and you never know of the change because you would be looking at all 3 EA sats. I hope that makes sense.

Your upgrade is probably free. TAKE IT! You will need it when Dish starts to shuffle channels among the EA birds for efficiency, etc. Don't box yourself into a corner that you may have to pay to get out of.

DishSubLA says it like it is. In order for Dishnetwork to have pure continuity they need everyone, and I mean everyone, have either an Eastern or Western Arc setup. In this case it ain't broke today but could very well be broke tomorrow.

clears things up a bit for sure....i appreciate all the info.

one last question.....if i leave my single dish pointed at 61.5 can i simply move my 1000.2 towards 72 and 77? i thought i read somewhere that a 1000.2 could get 72 and 77.

clears things up a bit for sure....i appreciate all the info.

one last question.....if i leave my single dish pointed at 61.5 can i simply move my 1000.2 towards 72 and 77? i thought i read somewhere that a 1000.2 could get 72 and 77.

No. You need a 1000.4 to get 72 & 77.

What locals in North Carolina do you get?

Good move, to follow DishSubLA's advice.

Be aware, the dish 1000.2 will be phased out, and the 1000.4 will be used for both arcs, just with different LNB sets. You might get 72.7 & 77 with a dish 500, but you would be better off if they replaced it now, for free.

i get the greensboro locals wfmy, wghp, wxii, etc

According The List SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Subscription List your locals are on both the 61.5 and 110 satellites. Dish is trying to have everyone on either a pure western arc 110,119,129 or pure eastern arc 61.5,72.7, 77. Dish also plans to move a lot of HD from 61.5 to 72.7 next year.
Perhaps Scott can comment on how this might affect you.

HD Migration

DNS is currently in the process of moving HD channels from the 61.5. If you are currently using a WA Dish (ie. Dish 500/1000/1000.2) and required a 500 dish at the 61.5 to get your locals and HD dur to N Line of Sight, then DN is requiring all current setups like this to either get repointed to the 129 with the 500 Wing dish, or convert the entire system to the EA 1000.4 for free. If you leave the setup as is, you continue to loose your HD channels as they are moved.

Just to show how Dish wants everyone on one arc, but still offers mixed arcs, I had a customer today getting a 612 receiver. Was subbing to Greek programming, work order called for 110, 119 and 61.5?? why would they want a mixed arc now? The Greek programming comes off 61.5, I ended up just doing a 1000.4. So bottom line, Dish DOES still do mixed arcs!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)