eastern arc migration confusion

I believe DISH only contacts customers in markets that they CHANGE to EA. I live in Albany, NY market and within the last year DISH changed us from a hybrid market to an EA market. They also put a lot of new HD on 72. I was recently contacted by DISH to get the free upgrade. You're closer to the Boston market which has been EA for a while now. You may have to do what Dwarren2 did and call and request.

Thanks for you reply.I have been a Dish customer since long before they came up with the EA and WA set ups. I am in the Boston Market and we definitely are on the Eastern Arc, this is not a change. A few years back dish came out and added the 61.5 wing because some programing was being moved to 61.5, not sure what it was but it was before HD.
The reason I post is not because Dish put HD's up that I can't receive (I'm over that)but as has been reported here Dish is eliminating the hybrid set ups and is migrating all existing subs to either one of the 2 Arcs as appropriate. If I understand what has been reported on this forum, Dish is moving to a single dish that can be configured to receive either the Western Arc or Eastern Arc sats, thus a big cost savings in equipment. Also if all subs are on one Arc or another Dish can then move programing around from sat to sat as they need to what ever technical reason may require it. As it stands now with some subs on an Arc and some on hybrid set ups, I do believe there is a lot of mirrored programing.....which eats up sat space....yes?????
So I just don't feel that I should have to call Dish and beg or cajole them into switching out my Hybrid setup for EA, it should just be done. If in fact the goal is to have all subs on one arc or the other then it only makes sense that they should have been concentrating on the cold weather (snow belt) states during the summer and fall and then move south during the winter.

Ross

in South Bend our locals are on the 61.5 in HD what I have heard is as long as you have either the 72 or 129 some where in the set up your fine so if you go upgrade a customer to hd or take out a meg2 recievcer that 2 dishes are fine. Now yes we should all remove the second dish and add the one but trying to remove mast in 20 degree weather or talk a customer to getting the 3rd mast up makes it easier to use the 1k.2 and 61.5 setup

Thanks for you reply.I have been a Dish customer since long before they came up with the EA and WA set ups. I am in the Boston Market and we definitely are on the Eastern Arc, this is not a change. A few years back dish came out and added the 61.5 wing because some programing was being moved to 61.5, not sure what it was but it was before HD.
The reason I post is not because Dish put HD's up that I can't receive (I'm over that)but as has been reported here Dish is eliminating the hybrid set ups and is migrating all existing subs to either one of the 2 Arcs as appropriate. If I understand what has been reported on this forum, Dish is moving to a single dish that can be configured to receive either the Western Arc or Eastern Arc sats, thus a big cost savings in equipment. Also if all subs are on one Arc or another Dish can then move programing around from sat to sat as they need to what ever technical reason may require it. As it stands now with some subs on an Arc and some on hybrid set ups, I do believe there is a lot of mirrored programing.....which eats up sat space....yes?????
So I just don't feel that I should have to call Dish and beg or cajole them into switching out my Hybrid setup for EA, it should just be done. If in fact the goal is to have all subs on one arc or the other then it only makes sense that they should have been concentrating on the cold weather (snow belt) states during the summer and fall and then move south during the winter.

Ross

Ross I can only speculate why Dish does what they do. They came up with the concept of EA and WA and then they targeted markets that all new installs would be EA or WA. This worked well for EA because new customers in those markets would not have any MPEG2 equipment to deal with. Most national and local HD were on 61.5 and 129. Then they started putting new EA HD on 72 purportedly due to problems with sat or sats at 61.5. Hybrid markets in the east couldn't get the new HD and many people called to get upgraded to EA. Then they decided to dispense with "hybrid" setups and change markets to EA and set a timetable to upgrade existing hybrid setups in those markets to EA and all MPEG4 equipment. I don't know what their timetable or strategy is. I agree with you that it should just get done, but I also understand it would not be possible for Dish to upgrade all hybrid setups at once only because there is no doubt quite a volume (14 million total customers) of legacy equipment out there in those hybrid markets which would have to be replaced at Dish's expense. So they go with their timetable. Also when they get complaints from folks not on their timetable, they sometimes agree to upgrade them for free. Sometimes the upgrade costs $95 or less with protection plan. I have read numerous stories of people calling and making enough noise about not getting the new HD to get the upgrade for free. I suppose it would depend on how long a person has been a customer, what equipment they have and are they willing to reup on the 24 month commitment. I didn't call even though I knew I was not getting the new HD and I just waited. It took over 6 months but they called me and I got upgraded for free. In your situation I would consider calling because your market was desigated EA long ago and will probably be one of the last on their timetable for free upgrades.

So dish called me today and wanted to send a tech to reaim my 61.5 to 72.7 . That led me to this thread. I have a self installed hybrid 61.5/110/119 system on bangor, ME locals. After reading this thread I think I ned to go buy a 1000.4 and convert to EA, but there's snow on the roof and I'm not excited about that.

Why would I be aiming my wing at 72.7? She said that it'd lose my HD? Are they shutting off 61?

You would gain some channels, but lose many more (including your HD locals) if you re-aim that 61.5 dish at this time.

I also forgot to mention I am a mover so I don't want dish coming to my"house"
Interesting. I didn't notice this before, but Bangor, ME HD (and one SD) locals are on conus transponder 32 on 61.5. You could have "moved" to most anywhere in the country. ;)

What Dish is doing makes sense once you understand the satellite/transponder (TP) situation. Dish is moving CONUS HD porgramming to 72.7 W because the slot is a Canadian slot and they lease TPs on the CONUS only satellite there. Dish will be gaining use of more TPs at 72.7 W as DirecTV vacates them as they move some locals from their CONUS satellite there. So for Dish to maximize use of the TPs at 72.7 W, they need to put CONUS programming there. In the second half of 2011, QuetzSat-1 will be launched to 77 W which is a Mexican slot. Dish has use of 24 of 32 TPs on this satellite and because of interference issues with the 82 W Canadian slot, it probably can only be used for spotbeams. In addition, in 2012, Dish will be launching the Echostar-16 satellite to 61.5 W (on a SeaLaunch Zenit launch vehicle by the way), that has a large amount of spotbeams similar to the spotbeam satellite at 110 W. It needs to be recognized that Dish needs large amounts of TP space for HD locals as compared to CONUS porgramming. If Dish were to use the 32 TPs it will eventually have use of at 72.7 W for HD programming, they could provide 224 HD channels at 7 channels per TP.

splat10 said:
So dish called me today and wanted to send a tech to reaim my 61.5 to 72.7 . That led me to this thread. I have a self installed hybrid 61.5/110/119 system on bangor, ME locals. After reading this thread I think I ned to go buy a 1000.4 and convert to EA, but there's snow on the roof and I'm not excited about that.

Why would I be aiming my wing at 72.7? She said that it'd lose my HD? Are they shutting off 61?

Sounds like the best thing for mgr to do is to put up a 1000.2 and go western arc and leave my wing and point it where ever I need to to get my locals? My location is really saratoga, ny.

I also forgot to mention I am a mover so I don't want dish coming to my"house"

I just recently "moved" from Rochester to Pittsburgh and got the call today about changing my 2 dish 110/119/61.5 setup to EA. I was planning to get a 129 repoint kit for my aging 121 superdish in the spring, but I'd rather not wait if I'll actually lose programming before then (not counting the HD programming I'm already not receiving).

Is there any way to get Dish to send the tech to the billing address rather than the service address? I don't really want to "move" back to Rochester until football & hockey season are over... :)

Sounds like the best thing for mgr to do is to put up a 1000.2 and go western arc and leave my wing and point it where ever I need to to get my locals? My location is really saratoga, ny.

Your best bet may be to go with a 1000.4 with the WA LNB intended for the 1000.4. That way, if you ever shift to EA you will have the dish, just needing to replace the LNB. The 1000.2 is being phased out, Dish wants to use the 1000.4 everywhere possible, with two different LNB arrangements.

Howdy ! Please, DN just called me April 19, 2011 to advise this same "move" to the Eastern Arc. I have received NO mails, no emails no prior notice whatsoever. I look with 2 dishes at 61.5 and then 110/119. Do I need to be concerned ab

:eek:
If Dish initiated the call, they are offering to upgrade your service to Eastern Arc. Let them come out and install the correct dish (and switches if necessary). I think what the tech was saying is that you would no longer need a separate dish for 61.5 because the new Eastern Arc dish will look at all 3 satellites. Don't let folks here talk you out of an appropriate upgrade. If locals are on 61.5 you should be good to go. The only issue remaining would be a problem with line of sight.

Hi, splat10......... I am of the very same mind...... in that, I do not want them @my house either ! How did this work out for you ??? I JUST got a call from DN about this EA move. They said that 2 satellites were being consolidated into 1 in about 30-days time. I received NO notice whatsoever. I DO get all the HD channels I am paying for. No worries so far. Kindly write me and tell me your experience and advice ! THANKS ! KenMan

Howdy ! Please, DN just called me April 19, 2011 to advise this same "move" to the Eastern Arc. I have received NO mails, no emails no prior notice whatsoever. I look with 2 dishes at 61.5 and then 110/119. Do I need to be concerned ab

:

Yes. You are missing HD content. Depending on what package you have, some of the HD content is not on 110/119. Also, the EARC requires VIP receivers since the signal is in mpeg4 format. Take them up on it.

To KenMan: Yes, you need to be migrated to a full EA or WA setup. This will make it so you are not effected when we move channels between the different satellites in the future. As of now, there are a couple HD channels that only come off satellite 129, or 72.7, so you ARE missing a couple channels.

If you PM a phone number, or account number, I can give you the details, or set up the install for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)