Ebay Phishing emails

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpickell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
Has anyone else received any of these, I received two yesterday? Of course I knew as soon as I got them they were fake. But I worried that other people might not recognize them as being fake and get screwed.

I see ~10-20 a week at my work sites, ebay provides a page to help address these issues wrt ebay specific phishes [1], you can also report those, and other phishes to http://www.antiphishing.org/ and spam@uce.gov as per FTCs phishing sites instructions [2].

Additionally, "If you believe you've been scammed, file your complaint at http://ftc.gov/, and then visit the FTC's Identity Theft website at http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft"

[1]: http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/stop_spoof_websites.html

[2]: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/phishingalrt.htm

Last edited:
they are rampant. If they make it into my inbox, I forward to the appropriate folks. If they get spamassassinated, I don't bother.

I have an alias (report-phish@lerctr.org) that goes to all the right folks.

people here are welcome to bounce stuff off it.

LER

They look real, don't they?

long_time_DNC said:
I've been getting a lot of Paypal phishing emails lately. I've been forwarding them, along with the header info, to spoof@paypal.com.

I get these all the time, but the one I got regarding Paypal looked real! But I never, ever believe them or click anything in them. I also sent it to spoof@paypal.com, then opened a browser and went and checked my account!! I hope someday these things can be stopped, because you do have a lot of unsuspecting users who actually click on the links!

Heck I must get 30 a week, not just for paypal but a long list of companies I have NEVER done business with.....

twinrocks said:
I get these all the time, but the one I got regarding Paypal looked real! But I never, ever believe them or click anything in them. I also sent it to spoof@paypal.com, then opened a browser and went and checked my account!! I hope someday these things can be stopped, because you do have a lot of unsuspecting users who actually click on the links!

They do a pretty good job of making them look real, and sometimes read real too, but usually there are enough spelling and grammar mistakes in them to tell that they weren't written by a native english speaking person. To me, that's a dead give-away. And of course, when the message says I MUST login and provide them confirmation of my email address and password, well...that's a dead giveaway that they're phishing.

I too checked my account once after I got the first one of those. My account was fine. I forwarded it (with the header info) to spoof@paypal.com and deleted the message. After doing this 5-6 times, the paypal folks must've nailed them because the phishing emails for paypal finally stopped. :)

Well, the paypal scams have not stopped. Got one today. I have forwarded so many of these to ebay/paypal, that I am tired of doing it and have stopped. They obviously are unable to do anything to put a stop to it.

I get some ebay phishing emails but I get a LOT more PayPal phishing emails. I turn them all in. You can tell if it is a phishing email by seeing if it states your name in the email or not. If it does state your name then that means that it is real. If it does not state your name then it is fake.

Stargazer said:
If it does state your name then that means that it is real. If it does not state your name then it is fake.

That is not necessarily true, some phishes have been known to be created after customer databases were breached, also phishers target mailing lists which often the poster uses their first and last name.

I get a lot too. The one a few weeks ago that came toe closest to getting me, inthat it made me pause for a minute and go OH SH*** was made to look like a ligitament Papal receipt. It stated that I had paid ???? some amount of around 700.00 and had all the links inbeded. I never use the links in the emails but I can see where this one would get a few people who would thin I HAVE TO STOP THIS PAYMENT I didn't really make!

I always forward too but aI know it gets olds. I figure I have to though because they keep puping from new loations and hte only way that the Companies can stay even close is if the users report these.

The whole sad thing about all of this is that I do not even trust the emails I get from ebay and paypal that are ligitiment.

Don't get me wrong im good at spotting them out, but even when they look ligit I simply ignore them!

FAYRICH said:
Well, the paypal scams have not stopped. Got one today. I have forwarded so many of these to ebay/paypal, that I am tired of doing it and have stopped. They obviously are unable to do anything to put a stop to it.
I agree, I have also sent them a bunch and still they continue. I do not even hear back as to what they did to the people tha t sent them.

Concidering the emails are sent through wandering proxy servers. There is really no way to trace them back to who sent them originally.

My guess is the only thing they can do is shut down the web sites that the phishing belongs to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)