Ebay question. Would I be right to not finish the transaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

herdfan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 22, 2004
Cottonwood, AZ
I bought an X-Box 360 this morning from a seller with a good rating on e-bay. The one thing that made me a little hesitant was that they didn't use Paypal. And it wasn't because of the security, but of the timing. The seller indicated that this was a top gift for X-mas and offers overnight shipping. This was a one-day auction.

I have tried repeatedly to contact the seller by e-bay, by e-mail and by phone to see where to overnight the payment so the seller can overnight the unit back to me. In a little less than an hour, I will no longer be able to get the seller money tomorrow, and therefore, they won't be able to overnight the unit for X-mas.

Would I be right to back out of this transaction? Or require the seller get a Paypal account so I can pay immediately. As much as they sell, they should have one anyway.

I just think if you are going to run a 1-day auction and advertise it as the number one gift for X-mas, that the least you can do is check to see what you sold it for.

Any thoughts.

Thanks.

What is the sellers ID. I would like to see it before commenting. I sell a bucn and a bidder that does not complete the transactions is the WORST KIND OF BIDDER. Not a lot of them but they are a pain. There may be times whe it is OK based on lasck of follow up but it would depend on how the action was stated and what you did to meet the terms. Buyers remorse does not cut it. You need to be comfortable Before you bid. Ask yourself, If the auction was complete and the seller decided to not complete the transaction would you be pleased?

With the little information provided I would send a message to the seller ASKING to get out of the auction since you thought there was a chance of getting the item prior to Xmas and since it looks like that will not be the case W/O Paypal you would like to mutually cancle the buy. See what happens.

Maybe he is in the same boat as me at this time i have sold 16,000 in sales in the last 2 weeks and paypal has got me in a credit review to make sure that all is being shiped and everyone gets there items before they will lift the limits again heck i even had to refund almost 3,000 dollars just because the shipments didnt go out buy the time they took limits off of my account so all of the rest of my auctions that are up have to be money orders or cashiers checks till payypal re opens the limits on my account .
i have been a seller since 2001 and have 100% feedback and ship everything i sell within 24hrs and still was not good enough for paypal i had to fax proof of all tranactions and a list of supplyers also just so i can pass the review to get my account back but i still can receive payments just cant do anything with the cash it will stay locked in the account till review passes

Have the seller fedex/ups it COD. He gets guaranteed payment (albeit slightly longer) and you still have the possiblity of getting your package. Offer to cover the COD charges as well as chip in a few bucks to make it worth his while.

Nebugeater said:
Buyers remorse does not cut it. You need to be comfortable Before you bid. Ask yourself, If the auction was complete and the seller decided to not complete the transaction would you be pleased?
No remorse whatsoever. And yes I would be unhappy of the seller decided to not complete the transaction.

The seller finally contacted me this evening explaining that a family emergency casued her to not be available to answer the inquiries.

cdru,

Great idea about the COD. I will suggest that to her.

Thanks.

If the COD thing works out, I may have 2 of these things Friday.:eek:

I think that UPS has either stated that tuesday was the cut off day for ontime christmas delivery or it has to do with the change in pricing or both. If the seller has stated wich shipper he would use be sure to contact the shipper to see what theyr cut off is for ontime shipping for christmas.

Last year I had an issue with a package that did not get delivered by Christmas. UPS told me that they do NOT guarantee delivery within a certain time period before Christmas and that all the locations that ship are supposed to have those signs up and its not their responsibility but those locations to make sure the consumers are aware of that.

The only holiday exception for UPS is for Ground shipments - 2nd & Next Day (I think 90 minutes buffer added to "Time of Day" guarantees) deliveries should not be affected.

I won't buy anything that I can't use paypal for...This is how every "I got scammed" post starts, "The buyer didn't like paypal for some reason...I couldn't get in touch for some reason..."

If she won't use paypal or COD, get out of there...Don't believe her just because a woman couldn't possibly be trying to scam you...that woman is probably a 35 year old man...Xbox 360 is the biggest scam going right now, don't be a victim...

Angiodan is selling one. I bought one from him, and I received it already. The ebay id # is 8245141064. I paid via paypal and he sent it overnight.

Hope this makes someone's Christmas brighter!

I will say that I hear the " family emergency" statement alot when it comes to complaints on sellers and or buyers on ebay.

There's a post office, UPS and Fedex dropoffs and such between me and every hospital...

If you're not 100% convinced that this is on the up and up, do NOT do it...

I offered her the C.O.D. option and she responded that only took M.O/Cashier Checks. I responded that you can make the C.O.D. be M.O./Cashier Check only. She reponded that if I were to send her a check, she would overnight the unit.

I am going to wait and see what happens. If she files a non-payment claim against me with ebay, I will file a negative feedback, otherwise I will let it drop.

Dude, she's TOTALLY scamming you. What reasonable person wouldn't do COD? Honestly? Report "her" to ebay FIRST. Can you link us to the auction so we can see what the terms of sale were before advising you any further?

Update: I talked to her today and she is going to do the C.O.D. thing. So it may all work out in the end.

OTOH, I may have an extra Xbox 360 (Core). I guess I can always re-ebay it.

Question: When UPS or FedEx or whoever delivers a COD, they won't let you open the package to confirm what's in the box, will they ??

COD is perfectly fine with reputable, known companies, but private sellers on eBay ?? I might be hesitant... I'd at least ask very, very politely of the driver if they could wait 30 seconds while you open the package. A FedEx driver probably will, but good luck with a UPS driver. They're always running !

Status
Not open for further replies.