Ebay recievers ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Twineg

Original poster
Mar 18, 2006
SoCal ,Santa Clarita
I have two recievers and want to order 2 more from ebay. I have a 501 and a 3900 (which I want to swap for the dish it up dual dvr reciever.). What standard recievers should I look out for ? Any? When I get the dual dvr reciever will I get upgraded for DPP LNBF? What else should I order?

or buy from someone here (in the classifieds section) is much safer in general than ebay IMO. I have bought and sold numerous items here without worry.

Terrific help Mr. Smith!

Before buying a receiver on E-Bay, you'll want to ask the seller to provide the smart card number and the receiver number. When you have obtained these numbers, call Dish network to ask if the receiver has been released from the sellers account and has no outstanding balance. You'll also want some kind of promise from the seller that the card itself has a 0 balance (no PPVs waiting to be sent to Dish). The best receivers to buy are the 508 or 721. Both have adequate storage space and no PVR fee. If you're concerned about buying a leased unit, again, ask the seller to provide some guarantee that they are selling you a unit. Dish, again, can verify if the unit is a lease or not.

Using PayPal gives you some benefit should you be sold something that was mis-represented. I've bought and sold plenty of receivers on E-Bay and have never had a problem.

I recently got screwed trying to activate a receiver purchased from Ebay, and found something rather interesting. If you want to know if a receiver really, really really is clear to activate on another account, you have to all the audit team (888-371-9077). Standard CSR's may not read all the notes on an account, and tell you the receiver can be activated when it really cant. Be sure to get the name and operator ID of the person you talk to, and make note of the time and date you called in case you do get screwed later.

Also, if you do buy something on Ebay, when you get it, be sure to plug it in and check for PPV's left on it BEFORE you activate it on your account. If there are any, plug in a phone line, connect it to your dish (do a switch check of course) and go to the diagnostics menu (menu-6-3) and select phone connection. Then let is sit turned on for 24 hours, and check it again. If you activate it on your account with PPV charges still on the card, you will be responsible for paying for them.

mikew said:
The best receivers to buy are the 508 or 721. Both have adequate storage space and no PVR fee.

This is what I don't understand. Why is the 508 and 721 excluded from a PVR fee?

I want to add another PVR (I have a 510 which has a fee) but I don't really understand why they charge for each receiver but you can have a house full of 508's and there's no PVR fee.

Charade said:
This is what I don't understand. Why is the 508 and 721 excluded from a PVR fee?

I want to add another PVR (I have a 510 which has a fee) but I don't really understand why they charge for each receiver but you can have a house full of 508's and there's no PVR fee.
I might be wrong but I think at first they didn't charge a DRV fee on receivers so when they started charging the existing receivers were "grandfathered" in and all the newer DVR's you were charged the fee.