EchoStar 1 148 West On A Dish 500?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTABman0

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2006
Lat 39.2°N WV Lo 81.5°W
This question may been asked before so sorry to bring it up again! I did try to search the forums today for it but the OS I am on now is not the normal one I use for the site and it was giving me fits today, I am stuck here in the office today and the computer in here is not too friendly on the forums! Bear with me please!

Is it even possible to get EchoStar 148 W on a Dish 500? I have seen threads on it working on subscriber boxes in the DN forum, want to use one to point there for the ITC stray things over there from time to time FTA.

I have a Dish 500 with a PLUS LNB on it on the backside of my house that was given to me a couple days ago so let’s put it to use if it can be done!

It is mounted on a wooden crate on top of my utility trailer by my office.

I used to get it on the 80CM but there are tree growths now that is limiting the LOS to the bird. Going to set the 500 back a bit (Clear LOS) for a possible try!

One thing I did notice is I need 9.5 degrees elevation for this and the dish only goes to 10 degrees but I think I can work around that with some rigging.

Anyone done this with any results and can it be done with a 500? Can the PLUS DP LNB be used on it for FTA?

If it can be possible I will start to try this in the afternoon tomorrow weather permitting!

Possible great, not worth using the 500 and use another type, that is OK too! I just don’t want to waste time trying!

Thanks for any suggestions!

From Dish Pointer.Com
Location Satellite Data Dish Setup Data
Address: 26150
Latitude: 39.1583°
Longitude: -81.5377°
Satellite Name: 148.0W EchosStar 1
Distance: 40644km Motor Latitude: 39.2°
Declination Angle: 6.2°
Elevation: 9.5°
Azimuth (true): 254.6°
Azimuth (magn.): 262.3°
LNB Skew:48.4° Dish Skew: 90.0°
arrow-r.png

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Attachments

• S6308924.JPG
    S6308924.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 219
  • S6308925.JPG
    S6308925.JPG
    534.3 KB · Views: 178
All I can offer is that the F/D match will make reliable reception with this an easy Hit.

Other than the fact that the DPP will give trouble, by showing 119-side Right-Hand Circular always, but who knows what the bandstacked (L.O. 14350) part will give? :(

I was just scoping a shot of my LOS out this morning too for 148. ;)
I loved trees until I got into satellite dishes....

Use the middle LNB which is for 119 and you should be fine. Set the skew to 90 and drop the elevation all the way down. You might have to change the mast to not be plumb to achieve the low elevation

meinename...148 only has vertical or right handed signals only so he just needs to set the LNB LO to 11250. THere were 2 sats there at one time. Echo 1 has vertical and Echo 2 has Horizontal. E2 died so its just verticals there :)

Use the middle LNB which is for 119 and you should be fine. Set the skew to 90 and drop the elevation all the way down. You might have to change the mast to not be plumb to achieve the low elevation

meinename...148 only has vertical or right handed signals only so he just needs to set the LNB LO to 11250. THere were 2 sats there at one time. Echo 1 has vertical and Echo 2 has Horizontal. E2 died so its just verticals there :)

Thanks guys!

I will give it a go tomorrow weather permitting. Ice, the thread I found in the DN forum was the one where it mentioned tin-foil to cover the 110 side but was for DN IRD’s, for some reason my PC out here in the shop would not let me access the search part of the site hardly at all!

It is running an old version of IE that came with Vista about 2 years old! Not too may updates have seen this machine yet just the essentials!

I did not know that all the transponders were Vertical! I tried this bird the other day prior to the tree growth discovery and nothing on the 80 CM, thought maybe it was gone for I thought I read that they were moving them around up there a couple weeks ago!

Anyways,
I will give it a try; I figured I would have to jerry the elevation a bit! Thanks again for the advice guys! Have a great evening!

K E V I N

thoughts:

- "middle LNB"?

- if it's convenient, tilt your mast in the direction of the satellite (10 or 20 degrees), then use the elevation scale

- I wouldn't dial in any skew either, just swing the dish 4..5 degrees off the bird to get your signal

- that big LNB head has a lot of power-sucking electronics.
Make sure you can power it reliably. :rolleyes:

- the DishProPlus also has built-in diseqc switching.
Don't let that cause you any problems.

- yes, it -can- work. Wouldn't be my first choice - but if you have it, try it. :up
If you run into any troubles with the above, the fall-back is to equip the dish with any circular LNB.

- "middle LNB"?

I think Tony meant that the middle connector inside the PLUS.
It has Port 1 - Port 2 - Extra or Second Dish LNB In ports. He meant the middle connector.

I do believe both ports have the 110 & 119 locations though.

Anole, I have a Dish Legacy LNB separate Y yoke off another 500, better to use that instead of the PLUS Head?

If OK or a better way what side of the yoke to use the LNB on?

At the Skew set to 90 Degrees would it make a difference?

K E V I N

Attachments

• Dish.jpg
    Dish.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
ah crap I was thinking something else...thinking of the 110/119/129 LNB

you would use the LEFT (from the pic above) eye...that is what is normally 119

If you have a dual LNB (about 1/2 the size of what you have now) those work the best because of no switches

ah crap I was thinking something else...thinking of the 110/119/129 LNB

you would use the LEFT (from the pic above) eye...that is what is normally 119

If you have a dual LNB (about 1/2 the size of what you have now) those work the best because of no switches

:D That is OK!

Yes I do have the Dish Legacy LNB separate LNBs off another 500! (Bottom Right Of Picture Above)

Ice, at 90 would it make too much difference which port to use?

Do they send down both 110 & 119 on each port or is it like the Dish DP’S where one is 110 and the other is 119 or am I totally wrong about that?

Maybe I need a crash course on how these babies’s receive each bird all over again!

If the PLUS is used, it has switches inside, what are the settings on it in the receiver or will some playing around in order to find out?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, setting up for subscriber stuff I know how but this migration to FTA I admit I know nothing on how too do since this dish was not made for FTA and what I am going to use it for!

Thanks again as always guys for the suggestions!

K E V I N

An 18" dish should even work for 148W. The first picture is of such a dish, and as you can see it was partially obscured by trees (I took that during a solar outage, which you might be able to deduce from the LNB's shadow). That dish worked fine last summer, but this year after the leaves came back the transponders I wanted were right at threshold. I think about 40 percent of the dish was obscured. I took the dish off the pole and put a Dish 500 there instead, with a single "legacy" LNB in one of the ports of the dual yoke, and the signal quality was better than ever. I'm always surprised at how well they work, even with the offset LNB.

However, it's probably all a moot point. EchoStar 5 is being moved to 148W, and is expected to replace EchoStar 1. I'd rather see it moved to the bottom of the ocean where it belongs. :D It remains to be seen how it will perform at 148W, but when it was at 129W a lot of people needed 75cm or larger dishes to get a reliable signal from it.

I happened to have a spare Fortec 90cm, so I decided to get ahead of the game and put it where the Dish 500 was. The Fortec's pole wouldn't fit on the DirecTV roof bracket, so I had to improvise a little with the existing pole. You can probably guess what I put around the LNB's neck to make it fit in the holder. :eek:

Attachments

• img_0880_small.jpg
    img_0880_small.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 192
  • img_2978_small.jpg
    img_2978_small.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 1,010
  • img_2984_small.jpg
    img_2984_small.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 188
  • img_2987_small.jpg
    img_2987_small.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 172
:D That is OK!

Yes I do have the Dish Legacy LNB separate LNBs off another 500! (Bottom Right Of Picture Above)

Do they send down both 110 & 119 on each port or is it like the Dish DP’S where one is 110 and the other is 119 or am I totally wrong about that?

Maybe I need a crash course on how these babies’s receive each bird all over again!

If the PLUS is used, it has switches inside, what are the settings on it in the receiver or will some playing around in order to find out?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, setting up for subscriber stuff I know how but this migration to FTA I admit I know nothing on how too do since this dish was not made for FTA and what I am going to use it for!

Thanks again as always guys for the suggestions!

K E V I N
if you have a legacy lnb trying to tie into a dpp twin it will not work

An 18" dish should even work for 148W.

Machman,
I have a Skyangel dish that is 18” still pointed at 61.5 but the drawback is it has a D-PRO LNB duel on it! I thought about that too getting into this after my first post but we are getting into some changes here on the 300 dish that will not be any easier than just cutting down the darn trees that is blocking my 80 CM dish! ;)

I just had the 500 PLUS given to me the other day by my brother and you know, I have 2 other 500s up already on the back of my out building (into trees worse than the 80 CM) and just a test project for the 148 side or a temporary fix until I do something about the trees!

It also gives me something to tinker and try! So shhh,, don't tell the wife! :D

If I had another standard LNB to replace the D-PRO on the 18” that would be something to try, so great suggestion, I really forget that dish is up since it is not used anymore for Skyangel!

HIFI1260:if you have a legacy lnb trying to tie into a dpp twin it will not work

We are talking still FTA use here and not a DN setup right? Too much talk like this is going to confuse the fart out of me here guys! I always thought the Legacy LNB’s like the ones in the picture above bottom left can be used for FTA use Circular? Wrong to think that?

K E V I N

Attachments

• S63085542.JPG
    S63085542.JPG
    377.9 KB · Views: 216
no. But the left one seems to work better from what I've tried.

there is a switch built into the Twin LNB's...that is why an old dual LNB works better

Machman,
I have a Skyangel dish that is 18” still pointed at 61.5 but the drawback is it has a D-PRO LNB duel on it! I thought about that too getting into this after my first post but we are getting into some changes here on the 300 dish that will not be any easier than just cutting down the darn trees that is blocking my 80 CM dish! ;)
why not use that? It would be much easier since that has no switch involved
It also gives me something to tinker and try! So shhh,, don't tell the wife! :D
;)

If I had another standard LNB to replace the D-PRO on the 18” that would be something to try, so great suggestion, I really forget that dish is up since it is not used anymore for Skyangel!
that LNB will work fine. DishPro just uses different frequencies for H polarity. Since there is no H at 148 that point is moot

We are talking still FTA use here and not a DN setup right? Too much talk like this is going to confuse the fart out of me here guys! I always thought the Legacy LNB’s like the ones in the picture above bottom left can be used for FTA use Circular? Wrong to think that?

he's thinking Dish setups which is true. You cant mix Legacy & DishPro together.

so lemme just throw this out....you're trying for 148 due to line of site issues right? If so, then reaim that 61.5 dish to 148 and you're all set :)

why not use that? It would be much easier since that has no switch involved

;)

that LNB will work fine. DishPro just uses different frequencies for H polarity. Since there is no H at 148 that point is moot

he's thinking Dish setups which is true. You cant mix Legacy & DishPro together.

so lemme just throw this out....you're trying for 148 due to line of site issues right? If so, then reaim that 61.5 dish to 148 and you're all set :)

Confusion cleared up, thought the D-Pro single had some kinda switch in it too! Thought what HIFI1260 was talking about was DN setups.

OK, simplified and I understand it too, thanks Ice, I will try the old 300 Skyangel for a re-point and no trees in the LOS where it is up at!

I will try that in the morning and see if the old 300 works for what I am trying to accomplish! It will be better anyway for that to work since where the 300 is to the FTA setup is, short run of coax, and I have an empty port number 3 on the switch so OK, got it!

Thanks Tony! ;)

K E V I N

no. But the left one seems to work better from what I've tried.

I think the key is to use whichever one makes you aim the dish higher. On a dish skewed 90 degrees that would be the topmost socket. That should minimize ground noise.

I will try the old 300 Skyangel for a re-point and no trees in the LOS where it is up at!

I hope you won't be disappointed when EchoStar 5 takes over that orbital slot. At least you'll know whether you've got good LOS. You can always upgrade the dish later on like I did. :)

I will keep you posted on what transpires, Dish 300 or the 500 with the power hungry head, with the 300 it might be close with the LOS and the trees, it is not much further back than the Fortec Star but will try that first!

Got to remember BEES! :eek:

Blog006A.jpg

I got stung many times when I put that 300 up years ago and had to re-adjust it after a storm!

It is the only dish here in the fleet that is not Bee proof! Leaned a long time ago to plug up all holes against them dive bombers!

Thanks again for all the help!

Anole, was waiting for one of your famous thread links on DN LNB’s! If you got one post the link to it please for me to familiar myself with them. ;)

K E V I N

I think the key is to use whichever one makes you aim the dish higher. On a dish skewed 90 degrees that would be the topmost socket. That should minimize ground noise.

The Skyangel 300 is much higher!

Originally Posted by Machman; I hope you won't be disappointed when EchoStar 5 takes over that orbital slot. At least you'll know whether you've got good LOS. You can always upgrade the dish later on like I did. :)

I had 148 on my Motorized before the trees grew out! :mad:

Right now that makes the third bird I can’t get in the entire arc! I just tried it a couple months ago and had to trick the motor to move that far, my far west stopped at 129. I manually drove it over and saved it then all was good will the green started to grow!

When are they scheduled to change the birds around? I sub to DN but don't have any packages that point to the 148 slot. I just recently seen some good ITC stuff there and wanted to try to hit it again!

It kills me that I lost another bird though since I had them all but 2 then now it is three! :)

I almost have the perfect LOS for them all!

Thanks Machman, for your help as well, I really appreciate your input!

K E V I N

When are they scheduled to change the birds around? I sub to DN but don't have any packages that point to the 148 slot. I just recently seen some good ITC stuff there and wanted to try to hit it again!
even after the satellites do the swap you should still be able to get it :)

You can even hook the 148 dish into your existing Dish Network setup (maybe...depending on the LNB type on your main dish)...once in a while they have some International channels that are "freeview" that only the subbed Dish box can get.

Euronews was on there in "freeview" for a couple months a while back :)

Seemed like you had all the info you needed, and were proceeding in a logical direction.

If you want a link, how 'bout to one of our under-appreciated (for FTA) advertizers: DishStore.Net
The Dish Store - Powered by Metro25
Those are some Dish 500 variations.

Note the I-adapter accessory, to put a single LNB on a Dish 500
Around my area, you see a lot of Dish 500's with a single LNB mounted into the traditional "Y" adapter.
Guess that's all the installer had.... or all the hacker had... :confused:

edit: Sadoun also carries some of the DN dishes, if you're just looking for reference pictures.

I was a little sidetracked with the 5.0 Earthquake here in LA tonight! :eek:
Scared the crap outta me, then when I went to see if any of the TV stations had anything on it... they didn't!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts