Echostar 10K Filing Has Been Posted

wow that's pretty long...

It's basically everything you ever wanted to know about Dish Network

10 Ks are long guys. They are annual reports. Lots of required data.

I haven't read the above link, but I have read some summaries elsewhere.

What caught my eye was the line saying SBC customers had accounted for a large number of subscribers. If E* is counting them, and I'm sure SBC is counting them, does that not artificially inflate satellite viewer numbers?

Now if the above 'double counting' is true, do you think E* is keeping a running count of sign-ups, and using that number for 'Total Subscribers' and not deducting the losses caused by churn?

It's probably like doing your taxes. You can pay twice or half what someone may figure and still feel 'OK' about it.

In past earnings calls Charlie has said that SBC actually owns the customers NOT ECHOSTAR. But Dish is counting the subscribers.

How, I don't understand.

mwgiii said:
According to the 10-k. Dish is having problems with ALL their satellites.

There was no mention of Echostar-9 having any problems. Failures do occur on satellites, that is why redunandcy is built into these satellites. Certainly some of these failures are of more of a concern than others but most would probably result in reducing the long term life of the satellite by a year or two. The space environment is very harsh especially from a radiation standpoint. Solar flares/storms are a major cause of satellite component failures. I am sure that DirecTV satellites have had their share of failures as well. It also needs to be recognized that cable companies rely on satellites for the downlink of their programming as well. These satellites typically are not owned by the cable companies but a major satellite failure could result in loss of programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)