Echostar 14 119W transition information

EchoStar14 119W TP 01 Spotbeam B2 20000 QPSK 7/8 added - Eugene, OR(1 CH) Medford, OR SD locals (from E7-TP 5) 5/27

EchoStar14 119W TP 05 Spotbeam A4 20000 QPSK 7/8 added - Reno, NV SD locals (from E7-TP 5) 5/27

EchoStar14 119W TP 04 Spotbeam A2 21500 8PSK 2/3 added - San Francisco, CA HD locals (from E7-TP 7) 5/19

I just noticed that currently Medford, OR and Reno, NV SD locals are on the same E*7 SB4 beam as San Francisco HD Locals (for those not on the West Coast, Medford and Reno are both just outside of the California border).

The new E*14 San Francisco beam A2 does not reach Medford or Reno, so it looks like Dish is going to move those to Oregon and Nevada beams.

In other words, the beam configuration looks significantly different from E*7, requiring a lot of juggling, hence the several week transition.

Digiblur - The E*14 spotbeam maps look somewhat changed from what Nelson posted a few months ago - is there new information ?

Last edited:
I could not get a reading of the signal strengths on my local channels at 119. I live in the SF bay area. I was able to get reading on the signal strengths on national channels at 110, and 129.

I just noticed that currently Medford, OR and Reno, NV SD locals are on the same E*7 SB4 beam as San Francisco HD Locals (for those not on the West Coast, Medford and Reno are both just outside of the California border).

The new E*14 San Francisco beam A2 does not reach Medford or Reno, so it looks like Dish is going to move those to Oregon and Nevada beams.

In other words, the beam configuration looks significantly different from E*7, requiring a lot of juggling, hence the several week transition.

Digiblur - The E*14 spotbeam maps look somewhat changed from what Nelson posted a few months ago - is there new information ?

Not a lot of shuffling... just going from big beams to smaller beams. Shuffling that might get a bit crazy is the stuff we don't see as the channels will be uplinked from different uplink centers.

Nothing new on the maps....same ones I made a while back off the data nelson61 provided.

On another note... tonight is the scheduled night. 3am eastern. Curious to see if the schedule is still on track.

I have not received any updates, but can assume its a go.

BTW last week I moved the uplink PC (laptop) and raised the laptop and now have a fan blowing air under it, and also moved the USB tuner card as well and it is also being cooled by the air flow. Since doing this the computer has not locked up once. :)

Sounds great... if the schedule is still a go, last day to write down your 119 values. I know they had planned to switch some CONUS tonight too. I'm sure the Puerto Rico folks will be the best way to tell which CONUS transponders on E14 are lit up each night. In the US will we see an increase but nothing as night and day like the PR folks will see.

Channels that are scheduled to move on 5/19 show "OFF LINE" at 3am ET in Onscreen Guide (including all the original 1990s single 18 inch dish SD channels like CNN and ESPN).

S.F. Bay Area people may miss some of Leno and other late night programming... I wonder if there will be a scroll, or if they will just rely on the Off Air guide information ?

Last edited:
I could not get a reading of the signal strengths on my local channels at 119. I live in the SF bay area. I was able to get reading on the signal strengths on national channels at 110, and 129.

This is a known problem that has never been acknowledged by Dish.

If it is due to EchoStar 7 itself, then it will go away tomorrow.

PS There is a trick that works.... switch from Tuner 1 to Tuner 2 and then you will see the signal strength for a brief fraction of a second...

PS There is a trick that works.... switch from Tuner 1 to Tuner 2 and then you will see the signal strength for a brief fraction of a second...

In the past, it used to take some time to show the signal strength but it showed. I tried it a couple of days ago and nothing showed for TP 7. I left it there for 10 minutes and got nothing.

Not a lot of shuffling... just going from big beams to smaller beams. Shuffling that might get a bit crazy is the stuff we don't see as the channels will be uplinked from different uplink centers.

Nothing new on the maps....same ones I made a while back off the data nelson61 provided.

On another note... tonight is the scheduled night. 3am eastern. Curious to see if the schedule is still on track.

Yes, nothing new on the digital data. And, got to remember that the FCC data is the maximum strengths for a beam. They can dial the power down to cover a smaller area if they so choose.

Channels that are scheduled to move on 5/19 show "OFF LINE" at 3am ET in Onscreen Guide (including all the original 1990s single 18 inch dish SD channels like CNN and ESPN).

S.F. Bay Area people may miss some of Leno and other late night programming... I wonder if there will be a scroll, or if they will just rely on the Off Air guide information ?

Thanks for the update. Looks like we are "go" for tonight then. Very cool!!

Probably due to that TP running 8PSK 5/6. It will be running 8PSK 2/3 after the conversion.

I tried your "trick" with tuner change on numerous tps and it would give a momentary 53 signal strength, then go back to the original strength.
What is your strength on tp 5 spot?
Dan

...I'm sure the Puerto Rico folks will be the best way to tell which CONUS transponders on E14 are lit up each night. In the US will we see an increase but nothing as night and day like the PR folks will see.

From PR, a little bit cloudy, May 18 5:51 PM:

Tp Signal
1- 0
2- 46
3- 0
4- 52
5- 0
6- 57
7- 0
8- 56
9- 0
10-57
11-57
12-60
13-57
14-55
15-56
16-60
17-54
18-56
19-54
20-57
21-56

We'll see tomorrow. Can't wait.

Hi

These are my reedings from the city of Caguas, Puerto Rico.

TP / Strength

1 - 0
2 - 16
3 - 0
4 - 18
5 - 0
6 - 32
7 - 0
8 - 26
9 - 0
10 - 27
11 - 45
12 - 45
13 - 45
14 - 24
15 - 45
16 - 45
17 - 45
18 - 43
19 - 36
20 - 32
21 - 38

Last edited:
Hi

These are my reedings from the city of Caguas, Puerto Rico.

TP / Strength

1 - 0
2 - 16
3 - 0
4 - 18
5 - 0
6 - 32
7 - 0
8 - 26
9 - 0
10 - 27
11 - 45
12 - 45
13 - 45
14 - 24
15 - 45
16 - 45
17 - 45
18 - 43
19 - 36
20 - 32
21 - 38

Your readings are a little better then mine, and I recently had dish moved from tree to pole, which upped my strengths about 10 or 12 points on most transponders.
Dan

Hi Ljdonato

My dish size is 5'. And right now I am having rain fade issues on some TP's. Specialy on TP 2 wish is right at this moment at 11 Strength.

119 TP 2 does not have any standard customer services on it.

You guys with a big dish on 119 will be blowing the doors off the signal meters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts