Echostar 15 Files with FCC for Launch

Just more bandwidth to go around for more HD. And by that time folks will be on pure EA or WA setups so they can move stuff around at the leisure. The hunger for HD isn't going to stop so they need all they can.

But, since they are going to move the the Core HD Channels to 72.7. When they get the sat. at 61.5 going, will they move the HD Channels back to 61.5 or leave them on 72.7?

So if they are going to move the core HD Channels from 61.5 over to 72.7, what are they going do with 61.5 when this new satellite is in place?

Just more bandwidth to go around for more HD. And by that time folks will be on pure EA or WA setups so they can move stuff around at the leisure. The hunger for HD isn't going to stop so they need all they can.

Am I misremembering again, or does E15 have spots? Even if E12 is totally devoted to spots (odd 1-23), that's 12 transponders devoted to LiL, leaving 20 transponders for HD or (X8) 160 HD nationals. Why do we need to move the 9 new HD channels to 72?

I am also next to certain that many folks will not be converted to pure EA by the time E15 makes it on station.

I am also next to certain that many folks will not be converted to pure EA by the time E15 makes it on station.

I drive around a lot for my work and have not seen one ea or wa install in Vermont, everything I have seen is 110/119 or 110/119/61.5. And there are a lot of them. Direct TV is completely slimline up here as they pulled their SD locals off 72 and converted all their customers with a new dish and receiver this past summer/fall.

But, since they are going to move the the Core HD Channels to 72.7. When they get the sat. at 61.5 going, will they move the HD Channels back to 61.5 or leave them on 72.7?

It looks like they will use both for HD in the long run. 61.5 does not have the capacity to work in the long run, it could have 11 TPs for local spots (using 8 of the 11 right now). 72.7 will have all 32 TPs available for national programming. It might be painful now, but in the long run it is better for Dish not to have to commit to which satellite 61.5/72.7 will have the national HD.

Also the same can be said about locals, some locals may move from 61.5 to 77 once the new 77 is up. 61.5 does not have full market coverage for some of the markets they put on it, 77 may have a spot in a better location. Markets may be split between the two also if they have a lot of stations.

Dish is best to insist on full EA install and not commit to having a single satellite solution.

so unless I've missed something here, it appears that Little Rock, AR. HD locals will remain on 77w for the time being? I had always hoped that they would eventually move to be included in the 1000.2 so I could avoid the wing dish but maybe not. Any thought?

so unless I've missed something here, it appears that Little Rock, AR. HD locals will remain on 77w for the time being? I had always hoped that they would eventually move to be included in the 1000.2 so I could avoid the wing dish but maybe not. Any thought?

Unless you have internationals you could just have a single EA dish instead of WA with a 77 wing.

No telling... I bet DishNetwork doesn't even know yet.

Am I misremembering again, or does E15 have spots? Even if E12 is totally devoted to spots (odd 1-23), that's 12 transponders devoted to LiL, leaving 20 transponders for HD or (X8) 160 HD nationals. Why do we need to move the 9 new HD channels to 72?

They said by fall HD will move from 61.5 to 72, so I bet there will not be many pure arc installs left.

E15 will not have spots. Just a one big one called CONUS+ (US+PR)

Is Echo 15 exactly as AMC 14 was or did Dish change the design somewhat to reflect recent needs or advances in technology? And the phrase that was being used by the engineers and Charlie was "steerable spot-beams." Perhaps not technical, but accurate for the non-engineering crowd.

Is Echo 15 exactly as AMC 14 was or did Dish change the design somewhat to reflect recent needs or advances in technology? And the phrase that was being used by the engineers and Charlie was "steerable spot-beams." Perhaps not technical, but accurate for the non-engineering crowd.

There has not been any mention of that. What was more implied is that it has 2 antenna, one for operating in the east one the west in case they move it to WA in the future. AMC was going to be owned by SES and Dish was leasing it. SES wanted the flexibility to move it to other locations as they leased it out to other providers. Perhaps the exact configuration of E15 will come out eventually.

No telling... I bet DishNetwork doesn't even know yet.

They said by fall HD will move from 61.5 to 72, so I bet there will not be many pure arc installs left.

E15 will not have spots. Just a one big one called CONUS+ (US+PR)

But the E-16 satellite which is also going to the 61.5 W slot and be launched in 2011 is expected to be a spotbeam satellite. E-16 could be like either E-10 which is a spotbeam only satellite or Ciel-2 which is a half and half mix of CONUS and spotbeam. I believe E-16 will have mostly spotbeams perhaps using as many as 16 TPs for spotbeams that will compliment the E-12 spotbeams. with Dish eventually getting use of all 32 TPs at 72.7 W, there is not a great need for CONUS TPs at 61.5 W. I expect that eventually Dish will use only a handful of CONUS TPs at 61.5 W for international programming. The rest will be used for spotbeams.

But the E-16 satellite which is also going to the 61.5 W slot and be launched in 2011 is expected to be a spotbeam satellite. E-16 could be like either E-10 which is a spotbeam only satellite or Ciel-2 which is a half and half mix of CONUS and spotbeam. I believe E-16 will have mostly spotbeams perhaps using as many as 16 TPs for spotbeams that will compliment the E-12 spotbeams. with Dish eventually getting use of all 32 TPs at 72.7 W, there is not a great need for CONUS TPs at 61.5 W. I expect that eventually Dish will use only a handful of CONUS TPs at 61.5 W for international programming. The rest will be used for spotbeams.
Given the precarious state of E12 with it's power problems, I would thing E16 would replace it in it's entirety. Plus, by the time E16 gets there, E12 will be 9+ years old.

Given the precarious state of E12 with it's power problems, I would thing E16 would replace it in it's entirety. Plus, by the time E16 gets there, E12 will be 9+ years old.

The planned life of E-12 was 18 years so if Dish were to reduce th load on it, E-12 could probably last until 2016 - 2017. Certainly E-15 will eliminate the need of any CONUS load on E-12. Certainly E-16 will reduce the load on E-12 as well. E-16 could very well be a spotbeam only satellite. If E-16 used 16 TPs for spotbeams and Dish only needed 8 CONUS TPs at 61.5 W from E-15, then E-12 would only need to use 8 TPs in spotbeam mode further reducing its load. I think the real problem with E-12 is the number and associated cost of the uplink sites.

I agree with everything speculated on 61.5, but I think you hit it perfectly on your last comment. I'm sure Dishnetwork would love to get rid of the extended uplink sites required for E12 due to all the costs involved.

I believe E16 will take over as a spotbeam satellite and E12 will used stored as an in orbit spare.

I agree with everything speculated on 61.5, but I think you hit it perfectly on your last comment. I'm sure Dishnetwork would love to get rid of the extended uplink sites required for E12 due to all the costs involved.

I believe E16 will take over as a spotbeam satellite and E12 will used stored as an in orbit spare.

I am wondering if Dish could use a limited number of spotbeams on E-12 from uplink sites that it already uses for other satellites. If this were the case then the uplink site design for both E-15 and E-16 would have to fit in with this plan but it would allow Dish to try to optimize the spotbeam capability at 61.5 W. This plan would also extend the life of E-12.

How about this for some wild speculation. E-16 is designed to use 19 - 24 TPs for spotbeams and once it gets to 61.5 W, Dish moves E-15 to 86.5 W. (note that E-15 would need to be designed to handle the different polarization required at 86.5 W) E-12 then is switched to CONUS only high powered mode to provide the CONUS TPs from 61.5 W and eliminating the need for the large number of uplink sites for spotbeams.

Last edited:
I am wondering if Dish could use a limited number of spotbeams on E-12 from uplink sites that it already uses for other satellites. If this were the case then the uplink site design for both E-15 and E-16 would have to fit in with this plan but it would allow Dish to try to optimize the spotbeam capability at 61.5 W. This plan would also extend the life of E-12.

How about this for some wild speculation. E-16 is designed to use 19 - 24 TPs for spotbeams and once it gets to 61.5 W, Dish moves E-15 to 86.5 W. (note that E-15 would need to be designed to handle the different polarization required at 86.5 W) E-12 then is switched to CONUS only high powered mode to provide the CONUS TPs from 61.5 W and eliminating the need for the large number of uplink sites for spotbeams.

Given the solar array failures on E12, I don't think it belongs next to the words "high powered".

Personally, I think E12 would make a good 148 licence holder.

And given the power of recent Dish sats, maybe E15 can still go to 86.5 or elsewhere, while E16 can handle the spot and CONUS duty at 61.5.

The main difference from the users point of view is the south side of the beam footprint. AMC 14 would have had weak or no reception in Puerto Rico and surrounding area and most of Mexico

Echostar 15 will have a solid signal with a small antenna for Puerto Rico and the USVI. Areas like Jamaica will also have a solid signal. Boat people in the Carribean area and all of Baja California will also receive a very strong signal using a small antenna. The beam will also extends quite deeply into Mexico using reasonably sized antennas

Excepting those areas, not much else is different.

Given the solar array failures on E12, I don't think it belongs next to the words "high powered".

Personally, I think E12 would make a good 148 licence holder.

And given the power of recent Dish sats, maybe E15 can still go to 86.5 or elsewhere, while E16 can handle the spot and CONUS duty at 61.5.

Certainly E-12 will stay at 61.5 W until E-16 is launched and operational. Before that happens, QuetzSat-1 should be launched and operational at 77 W which would free up E-8 for 148 W which I believe was what was mentioned in a recent Dish FCC filing for leaving 148 W unoccupied. E-3 would be another candidate for occupying 148 W, probably better than even E-8 because of its limited capability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts