Echostar 15 Files with FCC for Launch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
There is not much they can do with E12 besides having it be a spare at 61.5. E12 has 4 problems:

1. Loss of power due to deteriorating solar arrays

2. Need for a lot of uplinks

3. Only transmits on 13 TPs, 11 can be CONUS or spots. Covering TP losses for another satellite is limited to the 13 possible ones (out of 32). Example E3 losses are just lost.

4. Spots do not cover the markets well

So, if they want to move it to another slot they can only cover 13 transponders.

E12 is doing its job holding down the fort at 61.5 until they can get a replacement. But, then it will have limited use.

Echostar 15 was placed on public notice on April 2. Initial filing was March 10.

This was really fast action and means that the International Bureau review has been completed and the application meets the Bureau's technical/legal standards.

Last edited:
This will be a good one. Really hope all goes well with launch and the bird.

This will be a good one. Really hope all goes well with launch and the bird.

I'm with you on that. Rain fade issues for me have become minimal since I went to EA, but there's still the occasional outage. A higher powered bird can only help.

It's also nice to know the Int. Bureau is on the ball. Thx for the update, nelson61.

Regards,
Fitzie

According to Satbeams.com website the Launch Date for Echostar 15 is July 17th, 2010.

See this link; SatBeams - Satellite Details - Echostar 15

Now just bring on the Rochester, NY HD Locals and Hopefully a quick resolution to the VOOM litigation so we can get MSG HD, as well as the rest of the Rainbow Media Channels.

John

Even if the VOOM litigation is resolved I don't believe we'll see MSG-HD. That issue is distinct from whatever is holding up AMC-HD, IFC-HD, etc. It's all about the terrestrial loophole which the Dolans are still fighting to hold on to.

As evidence, FIOS has AMC-HD, etc. but doesn't have MSG-HD. If you want those RSNs in HD in the foreseeable future then most likely you'll need to switch to DirecTV or cable.

Even if the VOOM litigation is resolved I don't believe we'll see MSG-HD. That issue is distinct from whatever is holding up AMC-HD, IFC-HD, etc. It's all about the terrestrial loophole which the Dolans are still fighting to hold on to.

As evidence, FIOS has AMC-HD, etc. but doesn't have MSG-HD. If you want those RSNs in HD in the foreseeable future then most likely you'll need to switch to DirecTV or cable.

nlk,

In the last 6 months the FCC ruled the Terrestrial loophole was illegal. DirecTV has MSG HD. The Dolans are also fighting the NHL over Control of the Rangers Website, which is why MSG HD feeds are missing from the Center Ice Package regardless of providers.

John

nlk,

In the last 6 months the FCC ruled the Terrestrial loophole was illegal. DirecTV has MSG HD. The Dolans are also fighting the NHL over Control of the Rangers Website, which is why MSG HD feeds are missing from the Center Ice Package regardless of providers.

John

The FCC may have ruled it, but it is still not clear that they have the authority to do so. The companies are fighting it in court, and it may take years to resolve.

nlk,

John

Yes, but IIRC the Dolans just filed a lawsuit, or brief, or something contending that the FCC did not have the authority to close that loophole. From everything I can gather (and, granted, I'm a layman and you may know more than me) this is going to take a very long time to resolve.

As far as CI yes, from what I read control of the website was what kept MSG-HD off that package, although I think that issue was resolved recently and the games are back on. However, my understanding is that this won't affect Dish viewers as even if the MSG-HD games are available on CI they won't be shown on Dish since Dish doesn't carry MSG-HD locally (again, I believe this is the case).

Now as part of any settlement to the VOOM lawsuit I suppose something creative might be done along the lines of letting Dish have MSG-HD (assuming they want to pay the price of admission) but that is really speculative.

However, again, I'm a layman so feel free to enlighten me (really, no sarcasm intended) if I've gotten anything wrong.

According to Satbeams.com website the Launch Date for Echostar 15 is July 17th, 2010.

See this link; SatBeams - Satellite Details - Echostar 15

Now just bring on the Rochester, NY HD Locals and Hopefully a quick resolution to the VOOM litigation so we can get MSG HD, as well as the rest of the Rainbow Media Channels.

John

Looking at the Proton launch schedule a few months ago it looked like there was a spot in the schedule during the middle of the summer so I was somewhat disappointed when another site was showing E-15 launching in September especially when the Dish financial report had mentioned that E-15 would be ready for launch by the middle of 2010. Since E-15 is a CONUS only satellite, testing should be very quick so if the schedule holds, it should be on-line by September 1. By the way, that other reliable site that has launch schedules is also reporting now a July 2010 launch date for E-15.

Looking at the Proton launch schedule a few months ago it looked like there was a spot in the schedule during the middle of the summer so I was somewhat disappointed when another site was showing E-15 launching in September especially when the Dish financial report had mentioned that E-15 would be ready for launch by the middle of 2010. Since E-15 is a CONUS only satellite, testing should be very quick so if the schedule holds, it should be on-line by September 1. By the way, that other reliable site that has launch schedules is also reporting now a July 2010 launch date for E-15.

E-15 will have no spots? So what sat(s) will carry the HD locals that are at 61.5 now? Are they still banking on E-3 and/or E-12 for that?

E-15 will have no spots? So what sat(s) will carry the HD locals that are at 61.5 now? Are they still banking on E-3 and/or E-12 for that?

E-12 will handle the load. All of the spots and/or tp's within the spots are not lit up in the first place, but it is also handling some of the CONUS TP's. So E-12 shouldn't have any issues doing the job of just spots.

Dish will use the spotbeam capacity of E-12 for HD locals at 61.5 W. E-3 doesn't have spotbeam capability and I don't believe it is carrying any HD locals on it now. When E-15 becomes operational at 61.5 W, Dish might use more of the spotbeam capacity of E-12 since it is currently is providing some CONUS programming that will be picked up by E-15. E-16 will be launched to 61.5 W in 2012 and it is expected to have a large amount of spotbeam capability. As a side note, E-16 may have some "reverse DBS" capability as well although it would be very surprising if it had spotbeams. Before E-16 is launched, QuetzSat-1 will be launched to 77 W in August of 2011. It is also expected to have a large amount of spotbeam capability. Dish will have use of 24 of the 32 TP frequencies for prgramming in the U.S. It has been speculated by some that Dish could re-use the other 8 TPs designated for Mexico for spotbeams in the northern half of the U.S. on QuetzSat-1.

Launch date for E-15 is now listed as July 10, 2010 which could mean that E-15 could be operational by mid August. E-14 definitely looks like it will be operational before D-12 but will E-15 as well? :D

Launch date for E-15 is now listed as July 10, 2010 which could mean that E-15 could be operational by mid August. E-14 definitely looks like it will be operational before D-12 but will E-15 as well? :D

What site do you use to get your launch date info?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)