Echostar 15 launch update

E 15 Launch Time

Anik has added the E15 launch time.

July 10

18:40 Universal

12:40 PM Mountain Daylight

A midday launch that should be complete by about 10PM.

What do you mean by "complete"?

About 9 hours after launch, the Breze propulsion unit will separate from the satellite and the satellite will start using it's own fuel and communications system to move into the final orbital position. ILS will have completed their launch duties and Echostar/Loral will have accepted delivery of the satellite.

About 9 hours after launch, the Breze propulsion unit will separate from the satellite and the satellite will start using it's own fuel and communications system to move into the final orbital position. ILS will have completed their launch duties and Echostar/Loral will have accepted delivery of the satellite.
That makes sense as long as everyone understands that Echostar 15 won't begin sending CONUS programming within the day (another perspective of what represents a "completed" or "successful" satellite launch).

The rocket for the E15 launch was just delivered to the launch processing facility. So far, it looks like E15 is on schedule for the 7/10/10 launch date. E15 will probably be tested at another slot before moving to 61.5. It usually takes E* around 50 to 60 days to get a sat operational after launch. I would expect to see signals from E15 starting in Sept. providing everything goes well with the launch.

More info on E15 here.

Holy S*IT! Thats on my birthday! As much as I want fireworks, Maybe if this thing goes up successfully, Charlie can give me a real birthday fireworks of HDRSN's!

Effect of satellite weight on insertion orbit.

Echostar 14 : 6379 kg : 35786 km x 3120 km insertion orbit

Echostar 15 : 5520 kg: 35786 km x 6030 km insertion orbit

This is not really surprising because not only is E-14 a spotbeam satellite but it also was loaded with a huge amount of fuel. This should allow Dish to put E-15 in a geostationary orbit much quicker than E-14 although because E-15 is going directly to 61.5 W where Dish has 3 other satellites, it might take additional time to drift E-15 into the right place in the slot. It will be interesting to see how long it takes and the specific tracking of E-15. The testing at 61.5 W should keep things in the uplink report pretty busy.

I think ILS offers 2 delta v options: 1200 m/s or 1500 m/s to GEO. I imagine only the latter was available to the heavier E14.

As for putting it into place beside 3 other sats, maybe they should just transfer the E3 load to E6, and get E3 out of the way (or at least start a long drift to 148 if it has enough fuel to make that worthwhile)?

As Charlie pointed out in the chat, E14 took 60 days and E15 is projected to take 60 days.

So much for the direct to slot launch.

They asked for 60 days. That doesn't mean it won't take less time.

Of course, since they can only test unused TPs, it will take some time. They have to test, move programming, then test the newly freed TPs. It will probably take a number of iterations. But I would think we begin seeing some programming very quickly.

They asked for 60 days. That doesn't mean it won't take less time.
Don't confuse the FCC filing with the date certain that Charlie offered.
Of course, since they can only test unused TPs, it will take some time. They have to test, move programming, then test the newly freed TPs. It will probably take a number of iterations. But I would think we begin seeing some programming very quickly.
This is the same kind of silliness that has been going on over in D* land regarding the "restorative procedure". They seem to be celebrating channels being transferred back and forth. In terms of net programming, it represents very little net change until it is all done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts