Echostar 15 launch update

Today's Russian Federal Space Agency Update

Baikonur: Proton-M/Echostar-15 Prelaunch Processing

non.gif

:: 24.06.2010

Proton-M/Breeze-M/EchoStar-15 prelaunch processing continues at Baikonur. The satellite built by US Space Systems Loral (???) will be operated by EchoStar Orbital Corporation.
SSL engineers perform EchoStar-15 autonomous tests today. Khrunichev experts go on with Proton verifications.
Proton is to loft EchoStar-15 in July, marking the 7th launch of Proton this year. Proton has already orbited Echostar payload in March, 2010. 6.3t-Echostar-14 became the heaviest satellite launched by Proton.
Proton launch services are contracted by International Launch Services Inc. (www.ilslaunch.com).
Khrunichev, which is one of the cornerstones of the Russian space industry, holds the majority interest in ILS. Khrunichev manufactures the Proton system and is developing the Angara launch system.

Roscosmos and Khrunichev Space Center PAO

Just got an email from SatelliteToday.COM with an update on the launch of Echostar XV.

The Echostar XV satellite will launch from Pad 39 at the Blikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan at 2:40PM Eastern Time on July 10th.

A live webcast will be available starting at 2:10PM.

I am sure we will hear more as we get closer.

Just got an email from SatelliteToday.COM with an update on the launch of Echostar XV.

The Echostar XV satellite will launch from Pad 39 at the Blikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan at 2:40PM Eastern Time on July 10th.

A live webcast will be available starting at 2:10PM.

I am sure we will hear more as we get closer.

Birthday Launch WoooHoo! :) Go E* 15

Can anyone summarize what benefits we will get from this bird vs. the others? Is it merely replacing lost transponders and improving reliability, or is there any other benefits that this bird will enable us to receive?

Next summer. The CONUS locals on 77 will go to spotbeams.

Nothing happening on WA though. Everything is fresh there. Only thing there would be the mpeg4 and/or 8psk migration.

Next summer. The CONUS locals on 77 will go to spotbeams.

Nothing happening on WA though. Everything is fresh there. Only thing there would be the mpeg4 and/or 8psk migration.

If you are refering to QuetzSat-1, its launch date has slipped to November of 2011. In regards to E-15 at 61.5 W, correct me if I'm wrong but Dish is not using 9 TPs there. There are 4 TPs that E-12 can provide spotbeams for (17, 19, 21 & 23) but is not so even if Dish uses all 4 TPs, there are still 5 CONUS TPs that Dish should use when E-15 is operational. My best guess is Dish will not use TP 23 for spotbeams since they only have temporary authority on it so E-15 should add at least 6 CONUS TPs to the EA. Dish may also add more CONUS TPs on the EA in the near future at 72.7 W as DirecTV relinquishes their leasing on some TPs there as they move more of the locals off there to perhaps D-10 if the spotbeam capacity is truly fixed.

Perhaps the unused spotbeam capacity on E12 is not suited for EA use. The unused ConUS TPs should not be considered in the additional capacity as they have all been used at one time or another.

If you are refering to QuetzSat-1, its launch date has slipped to November of 2011. In regards to E-15 at 61.5 W, correct me if I'm wrong but Dish is not using 9 TPs there. There are 4 TPs that E-12 can provide spotbeams for (17, 19, 21 & 23) but is not so even if Dish uses all 4 TPs, there are still 5 CONUS TPs that Dish should use when E-15 is operational. My best guess is Dish will not use TP 23 for spotbeams since they only have temporary authority on it so E-15 should add at least 6 CONUS TPs to the EA. Dish may also add more CONUS TPs on the EA in the near future at 72.7 W as DirecTV relinquishes their leasing on some TPs there as they move more of the locals off there to perhaps D-10 if the spotbeam capacity is truly fixed.

Thanks for the update on QuetzSat-1. I didn't mention the extra transponders that would be available at 61.5 since those were already mentioned. EA will definitely have lots of breathing room with the E15 addition and more TP's being released from DirecTV on 72. But the downside to that is, what you put up nationally on EA you must do the same on WA.

Perhaps the unused spotbeam capacity on E12 is not suited for EA use. The unused ConUS TPs should not be considered in the additional capacity as they have all been used at one time or another.

Quite interesting how you have defined "additional capacity". Perhaps the term "restored capacity" would be more appropriate. In regards to the unused spotbeam capacity of E-12, there is the possibility that it would be unsuitable for EA use because of uplink limitations. Other than that, there are many EA markets that could have their non-big four network HD channels added. Dish could also utilize these additional spotbeam TPs to alleviate the need for mixed arc setups. With the four TPs on E-12 that are capable of being used as spotbeams that are not i.e., 17, 19, 21 and 23, Dish could add 32 spotbeam TPs to the spots that they are already using. Even if Dish does not want to use TP 23 for spotbeams because of their temporary authority there, Dish would still be able to add 23 spotbeam TPs to the spots they are already using. At 7 HD channels per TP, this would allow them to add as many as 161 HD locals to EA or even a greater number of SD locals.

So, how much of E12 is fixed on points west of the Rockies?

Dish has not turned on the E-12 spots west of the Rockies. E-12 was designed with 22 spots of which 5 are for west of the Rockies. There is also a spot pointing at Maine that Dish does not use, I assume because they don't want to build an uplink site up there for a limited number of locals. So Dish uses 16 spots from E-12. So the numbers I quoted of 32 spotbeam TPs or 23 spotbeam TPs (without TP 23) is for these 16 spots that they currently use. Since there are power limitations on E-12 due to failures, I would assume that E-15 would provide all the CONUS TPs from 61.5 W. I believe E-12 currently is providing 3 CONUS TPs so this power could be used for spotbeams but there still could be power limitations that will not allow Dish to use all of these spotbeam TPs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts