EchoStar boss denies plan to sell company: report

Bulldog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Just to let you guys know (sorry if is was already discused):

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - EchoStar Communications Corp. Chairman and Chief Executive Charlie Ergen denied he was considering selling the No. 2 satellite television provider, according to a report in the Denver Post.
Analysts said this week that AT&T Inc. , the biggest U.S. telephone company, may be weighing a $13 billion bet to expand its television services and stymie competition from cable operators by acquiring EchoStar.
"These rumors are false. I'm happy being the largest shareholder of EchoStar," Ergen said after a news conference at the 2006 International Consumer Electronics Show, the Denver Post reported. "I'm in my dream job. It's my hobby to do satellite."
EchoStar has signed up about 12 million subscribers while AT&T, which was created by the recent purchase of AT&T Corp. by SBC Communications Inc., is starting to enter the video business.
An Echostar spokeswoman could not confirm Ergen's remarks.
EchoStar shares have risen steadily since mid-December and rose another 1.6 percent, or 46 cents, on Friday to $28.96 on Nasdaq. AT&T shares closed up 1.3 percent, or 31 cents, at $24.93 on the New York Stock Exchange.

Copyright 2006 Reuters

It was discussed earlier, but no worries. I think this is a good sign. I just hope that Mr. Ergen takes care of us on the 622.