EchoStar/Dish raises doubts about 'ability to continue as a going concern'

They already lost a spectrum deal because no one will loan them the money, they have until November to raise $4 Billion.

A lot of the News stories I have read, no one will help them because they do not like or trust Charlie Ergen , their two aborted attempts at swapping out their debt/bonds did not help.

I have no idea what he is like in the business world, just what I read.

Also does not help they have now lost about half of their Satellite subscribers in 7 years, 1.5 Million Phone subscribers in less then 2 years, Hughes is down to 1 million subs, my guess because of availability to broadband in rural areas, 5G and Star Link, now have entered into unprofitability, 2 quarters in a row.
Hughes is probably going to start climbing with Jupiter 3. My company did over 30 new installs in February. Prior to J3 it was a third of that, typically, per month

Hopper+ was supposed to be the marriage of cable/DVR and Streaming. The best of both worlds.
Coming out 3-5 years too late and not working very well wasn't the best plan

Maybe if it was better executed it could have been a winner. NOW- is an improved version under development? A new clean sheet design? A super duper Hopper 4? Or has the towel has been thrown in?

I’d like Dish to survive, and keep me subscribed. But it’ll have to get more content back. Questionable.

I don’t hear a fat lady singing, but is that a swan singing?

• Love
Reactions: charlesrshell
Hughes is probably going to start climbing with Jupiter 3. My company did over 30 new installs in February. Prior to J3 it was a third of that, typically, per month
Except Hughes has been losing subs in every quarter , for example, 57,000 in Q3, 59,000 in Q4, no different then when you have a new install for Dish TV, one new but 2 left.

As competition increases in those under served areas, more and more will leave.

As I have pointed out, I live in a rural area, they did not get Broadband until 2018, 2 years before we moved here, while back in Michigan, lived in Metro areas, had broadband since 1996 ( a mighty 3 down/1 up then).

Last edited:
Maybe if it was better executed it could have been a winner. NOW- is an improved version under development? A new clean sheet design? A super duper Hopper 4? Or has the towel has been thrown in?
Why invest in new equipment, since the Hopper 3 came out, they have lost 6.5 Million subscribers, a Hopper 4 would not change that, yet in that same time period, YouTube TV has grown to 8 Million, it does not even have a box.
I’d like Dish to survive, and keep me subscribed. But it’ll have to get more content back. Questionable.
Content is not coming back and will continue to leave for streaming.

In the next two years, we will see a number of cable channels shut down, how many cable channels are producing new content ( not counting cheap programming like reality, documentary, kid stuff).

I believe it is just FX, AMC and Paramount Channel.

I remember when AMC was riding high, in the Breaking Bad, early days of The Walking Dead timeframe, they had 4-5 series’ a week, that were airing at the time, today 1-2 new episodes a week.
I don’t hear a fat lady singing, but is that a swan singing?
Again, how do you stop the churn.

I left and cut the cord after 22 years because (in order of importance):
1. I got StarLink for internet instead of cellular hotspot w/ limited data. And so got Dis+ and Hulu. (I live in very rural area.)
2. Fox News cancelled Tucker
3. Most of what I watched was OTA and most of those channels were missing guide data from the satellite even though two days of guide data was being broadcast for free.

Now, I am using Channels DVR to record OTA and free streaming channels like Pluto TV. Never looked back. Hulu has new Futurama, Family Guy, Rick & Morty episodes. I’m not missing anything. In fact, it’s better because I can record Real America’s Voice stream in HD. It is what Fox News would be if the Murdoch’s didn’t screw it up. RAV only offered in SD on Dish on a higher plan.

It was wise of them to make NewsMax cancel their free stream in their carriage agreement. But Real America’s Voice is better and cares more about reaching their audience than getting lucrative carriage agreement.

When you all are ready, there are some great solutions waiting for you.

I don't know what the attraction is with satellite internet. Years ago I had something called WildBlue satellite internet, and it was pretty crappy and expensive (for the time) but it was the only internet available. Since then I've progressed to DSL and finally fiber. That said, when anyone asks my opinion of satellite internet I respond: It's better than dial up, but that's it. Since satellite internet is still around, I can only assume its gotten better, but it does seem to be expensive.

I don't know what the attraction is with satellite internet. Years ago I had something called WildBlue satellite internet, and it was pretty crappy and expensive (for the time) but it was the only internet available. Since then I've progressed to DSL and finally fiber. That said, when anyone asks my opinion of satellite internet I respond: It's better than dial up, but that's it. Since satellite internet is still around, I can only assume its gotten better, but it does seem to be expensive.

StarLink.