EchoStar/Dish raises doubts about 'ability to continue as a going concern'

I'm not counting him out, but he needs to get more income and that means putting the 5G to work.
But to work as what?

Use it for Cell Phones, or Home Internet ( which will cost even more, have to build a lot of boxes for people’s homes) or is it to be used to connect to Appliances that have internet, or cars on the road.

None of us know, the question is, does Dish know?

But based on the debt coming due, they will need about $8 Billion to cover the payments due this year and next, then even more in 2026-2028.

He needs money. He has 5G, he needs to make money using it. It is the only way it works. Dish is about 20,000% further along with the 5G network and mobile cell service than anyone thought possible 10 yrs ago. His problem however was he didn't include a pandemic and the supply chain hiccups turn inflation in the gameplan.

I'm not counting him out, but he needs to get more income and that means putting the 5G to work.
The push to sign customers up to Boost Infinite is ramping up

The push to sign customers up to Boost Infinite is ramping up
If they had 10 million new Boost subscribers, they all paid $50 each monthly for a year, that would be $6 Billion, then they would still need another $30 Billion more.

He needs money. He has 5G, he needs to make money using it. It is the only way it works. Dish is about 20,000% further along with the 5G network and mobile cell service than anyone thought possible 10 yrs ago. His problem however was he didn't include a pandemic and the supply chain hiccups turn inflation in the gameplan.

He's 70+...time is not on his side

His problem however was he didn't include a pandemic and the supply chain hiccups turn inflation in the gameplan.
I do not believe the pandemic or what came after it did not have that big of a impact.

They have been hoarding spectrum since 2004, 16 years before COVID, if they did not have a plan figured out then, should never of purchased it.

Not one person in this thread (myself included) can answer this, what is Dish’s plan to monetize the spectrum?

Now, based on their own report, they will not even to be able to finish the build out, then the possibility is the FCC will yank it all away.

Once again, look at the dates-

His "idea" in grabbing the spectrum was that it would skyrocket in value and he could monetize it in whatever ways may present, in either using it in some comms project, or selling it off. Can he not transfer his spectrum stakes to others?

I am willing to bet that one year from now DISH will still be here.

With that said I don't get Charlie's 5G system. It is built up over much of the USA... and its just sitting there. My understanding is it has not been optimized and for a pure 5G system is slower then all other 5G systems in use today. Not sure if he is not just paying for the bandwidth needed to make it a fast 5G network... or ultimately if there is something wrong with 5G, as lets face it all the promises from everyone about 5G have fallen way below what the claims have been.

Could DISH eventually file for bankruptcy? Sure. But lets be honest Bankruptcy isn't a bad thing. Many companies have filed for bankruptcy and are now doing much better today because of it.

Like I said I believe DISH will be here next year at this time. It may be a leaner DISH, but services will continue... and may even expland.

Can he not transfer his spectrum stakes to others?
No, he can’t. There is a timeline for when he can sell any, and even then only with FCC permission.

Again, I believe, and hints have been given, that his plan was for mobile and business use. Comms with cars, trucks, trains. Maybe some video service. Ahead of the game, maybe, idea wise. But the 5G equipment was delayed, yes there was COVID, and economic slowdown including a tightened loans market.

His "idea" in grabbing the spectrum was that it would skyrocket in value and he could monetize it in whatever ways may present, in either using it in some comms project, or selling it off. Can he not transfer his spectrum stakes to others?
It was bargain basement spectrum nobody wanted

Reactions: charlesrshell

With that said I don't get Charlie's 5G system. It is built up over much of the USA... and its just sitting there. My understanding is it has not been optimized and for a pure 5G system is slower then all other 5G systems in use today. Not sure if he is not just paying for the bandwidth needed to make it a fast 5G network... or ultimately if there is something wrong with 5G, as lets face it all the promises from everyone about 5G have fallen way below what the claims have been.

Could DISH eventually file for bankruptcy? Sure. But lets be honest Bankruptcy isn't a bad thing. Many companies have filed for bankruptcy and are now doing much better today because of it.

Like I said I believe DISH will be here next year at this time. It may be a leaner DISH, but services will continue... and may even expland.
5g sucks everywhere..its not worth the hype....Charlie only bought one 10 gig circuit for his towers..everyone else buys 2 10 gig circuits...I would say that would make him slower

Isn't there an issue regarding the number of devices that can actually use the netwotk? Or was that a former problem?

I do not believe the pandemic or what came after it did not have that big of a impact.
One word, interest rates. Wait, two words!
They have been hoarding spectrum since 2004, 16 years before COVID, if they did not have a plan figured out then, should never of purchased it.
Dish is the third or fourth largest mobile company at the moment. Clearly hr had some idea of his plan. I'm with Scott regarding the lack of monetizing of the 5G. And while 5G didn't get us cold fusion, I wouldn't say it hasn't had an impact on mobile communications.

Dish is the third or fourth largest mobile company at the moment. Clearly hr had some idea of his plan. I'm with Scott regarding the lack of monetizing of the 5G. And while 5G didn't get us cold fusion, I wouldn't say it hasn't had an impact on mobile communications.
There are only 4 mobile companies that own facilities nationwide

Reactions: charlesrshell
Not a bad idea Scott Greczkowski. We can help support that.
I have already decided that I am not going to go. I know others who will be there and if there is news I will know about it instantly. The only thing I will miss is meeting one on one with Charlie and everyone else. That is normally my favorite part of going to Team Summit.

Just don't have the money or time right now to go, and after the last Team Summit dud I don't feel like asking for you guys to help send me. I still to this day feel bad about the last one, it was so bad.

Which had many increases and decreases in the last 20 years, since Dish started hoarding spectrum, from 2004-2024, todays rates are not a phenomenon.
Dish is the third or fourth largest mobile company at the moment.
A extremely distant 4th, these numbers are all in just the United States, look at the difference between #3 T-Mobile and #4 Dish.

Largest American wireless providers
CompanySubscribersDateRef
AT&T Mobility
Increase
241.5 million
Q4 2023[2]
Verizon
Increase
144.8 million
Q4 2023[3]
T-Mobile US
Increase
119.7 million
Q4 2023[4]
Dish Wireless
Decrease
7.4 million
Q4 2023[5]
UScellular
Decrease
4.6 million
Q4 2023[6]

Clearly hr had some idea of his plan.
If true, must be so incredible, that they are risking tanking the company, just to keep it secret.

I'm with Scott regarding the lack of monetizing of the 5G.
I have been posting that for years here, the only responses I keep getting is Charlie knows what he is doing.

And while 5G didn't get us cold fusion, I wouldn't say it hasn't had an impact on mobile communications.
Never posted anything different, just what Dish is doing with it is baffling.

Not as bad as you will if Charlie pulls another rabbit out of his hat! :devilish
;)
The only rabbit he has left, is getting a loan somehow ( will need about $8 Billion at least), which is not a smart business decision with the high rates and $36 Billion in debt he already has.

The smart decision is declare Chapter 11, reduce a lot of that debt, get it handled now, before it is too late.