EchoStar/Dish raises doubts about 'ability to continue as a going concern'

The smart decision is declare Chapter 11, reduce a lot of that debt, get it handled now, before it is too late.
Been there, done that. Ran a company under direction of a federal bankruptcy trustee. He taught me a lot.

His rule #1 was to file early on . The judge will let you keep more of the operation intact (and the money). Those that wait end up watching the scanvangers fight over their assets and have little $ or control left when it is all over.

Which had many increases and decreases in the last 20 years, since Dish started hoarding spectrum, from 2004-2024, todays rates are not a phenomenon.
Yeah, talk to Sinclair about that. Debt got more expensive quite quickly. That impacted the calculus.
A extremely distant 4th, these numbers are all in just the United States, look at the difference between #3 T-Mobile and #4 Dish.
And their cellular rank was what in 2016?
I have been posting that for years here, the only responses I keep getting is Charlie knows what he is doing.
Based on Dish's cellular ranking change between 2016 and 2024, I'd say he does have at least some idea what he is doing.

And I typically wait for Scott to light his hair on fire, before I light mine when it comes to Dish.

did a google search.
The number of Boost compatable phones is still limited.

• iPhone 15 family
  • Samsung A23 5G
  • Motorola edge+ 2022 and 2023
  • Moto G Stylus 2022 and 2023
  • Moto G 5G 2022 and 2023
  • Motorola Razr
  • The Celero 5G+, which is made by Dish and is exclusive to Boost

Cool, I have one of the only ones. :D... if they ever do something with the Network.

It is odd that the A23 is, but the high end Samsung that they'll give you the latest model every year, isn't. Part of me wonders whether that list is a little bit old.

Personally, I'm not certain why Boost Infinite isn't working well. $60 a month for unlimited and they give you the latest iPhone when it comes out? $25 for the cheapo people like me.

Reactions: charlesrshell
And their cellular rank was what in 2016?

Based on Dish's cellular ranking change between 2016 and 2024, I'd say he does have at least some idea what he is doing.
Dish did not take over Boost until 2020.

It was purchased by Nextel in 2003 and, as a result of the merger between Sprint Corporation and Nextel, then became owned by Sprint in 2004. It was then purchased by Dish Wireless on July 1, 2020, as a result of the merger between Sprint and T-Mobile.

Dish did not take over Boost until 2020.

It was purchased by Nextel in 2003 and, as a result of the merger between Sprint Corporation and Nextel, then became owned by Sprint in 2004. It was then purchased by Dish Wireless on July 1, 2020, as a result of the merger between Sprint and T-Mobile.

Yes Bruce, that was my point. Thanks for making it for me... again. I'll do it one more time.

Dish went from no mobile company to 4th largest mobile company quite suddenly.

Yes Bruce, that was my point. Thanks for making it for me... again. I'll do it one more time.

Dish went from no mobile company to 4th largest mobile company quite suddenly.
And you are missing my point, they took over a company that was already at number 4, then lost 1.5 million subscribers, so no, I do not believe they know what they are doing with it.

You know it's funny, I had Dish for more than 10 years. Loved the Hopper 3 and the fact that I could run the Joeys over Ethernet and not need Coax. Lots of carriage disputes. Price increases every year. But I lived with it, it wasn't that big of a deal. Until they took away my ability to watch Giants games. I put up with it for one season then gave them the middle finger and switched to YTTV which ended up being more than 50.00 a month less. And I was happy. Until YTTV dropped MLB Network that is.

So I'd been looking around at other options and there's not a whole lot. DirecTV Stream is like 110 a month. Figured I'd come here and see if there's any more chatter about RSNs and this is the first thread I see. Heh.

It's interesting that awhile back most were thinking Dish was going to buy DirecTV.
I didn't think they would. Satellite TV is dying a quick death. Add to that the Boost 5g money pit and you can see why DISH can't pay it's debt. Bankruptcy is the only option. The question will it be restructured Bankruptcy or a total liquidation going out of business sale. :rolleyes:

I am willing to bet that one year from now DISH will still be here.

With that said I don't get Charlie's 5G system. It is built up over much of the USA... and its just sitting there. My understanding is it has not been optimized and for a pure 5G system is slower then all other 5G systems in use today. Not sure if he is not just paying for the bandwidth needed to make it a fast 5G network... or ultimately if there is something wrong with 5G, as lets face it all the promises from everyone about 5G have fallen way below what the claims have been.

Could DISH eventually file for bankruptcy? Sure. But lets be honest Bankruptcy isn't a bad thing. Many companies have filed for bankruptcy and are now doing much better today because of it.

Like I said I believe DISH will be here next year at this time. It may be a leaner DISH, but services will continue... and may even expland.
That's what I told the guys who work for me who've approached me about this.
The company we work for also is not going to just say, "Oh well, Dish is gone, let's just close shop"

And I was happy. Until YTTV dropped MLB Network that is.
I thoroughly enjoyed the mlb.tv app on Roku the last couple of seasons, being able to watch the out-of-market team I follow, every single game, with the ability to skip through between-inning commercials, etc. Could watch live or delayed, but did not have to wait until the game was over to start watching delayed. $150 per year. If a game was blacked out due to home area broadcast restrictions, you can watch it in full after the game ends.

I thoroughly enjoyed the mlb.tv app on Roku the last couple of seasons, being able to watch the out-of-market team I follow, every single game, with the ability to skip through between-inning commercials, etc. Could watch live or delayed, but did not have to wait until the game was over to start watching delayed. $150 per year. If a game was blacked out due to home area broadcast restrictions, you can watch it in full after the game ends.

Unfortunately MLB.tv doesn't include MLB network which is asinine.

did a google search.
The number of Boost compatable phones is still limited.

• iPhone 15 family
  • Samsung A23 5G
  • Motorola edge+ 2022 and 2023
  • Moto G Stylus 2022 and 2023
  • Moto G 5G 2022 and 2023
  • Motorola Razr
  • The Celero 5G+, which is made by Dish and is exclusive to Boost
Boost Infinite is not Boost Mobile.
I hate they use the Boost name in this service.

Boost Infinite is Dish's contracted Wireless plan and the phone they offer are the iPhone 15, 15 Plus, 15 Pro, 15 Pro Max and the Galaxy S24+ and 24 Ultra and the assorted older, lower end phones like the iPhone SE, the Galax S23 5G, the iPhone 14 series, Motorola Razor, etc

Cool, I have one of the only ones. :D... if they ever do something with the Network.

It is odd that the A23 is, but the high end Samsung that they'll give you the latest model every year, isn't. Part of me wonders whether that list is a little bit old.

Personally, I'm not certain why Boost Infinite isn't working well. $60 a month for unlimited and they give you the latest iPhone when it comes out? $25 for the cheapo people like me.
And now the latest Galaxy S24 and S24 Ultra. It's hopefully picking up steam. T-Mobile was a niche carrier for a long time and look at them now

You know it's funny, I had Dish for more than 10 years. Loved the Hopper 3 and the fact that I could run the Joeys over Ethernet and not need Coax. Lots of carriage disputes. Price increases every year. But I lived with it, it wasn't that big of a deal. Until they took away my ability to watch Giants games.
Dish did not take that away from you. The company that provides Giants games took that away from you, whoever it was, Sinclair, Bally sports, etc..

Unfortunately MLB.tv doesn't include MLB network which is asinine.
They say this
7. Can I access the MLB Network authenticated stream via MLB.TV?
Access to the MLB Network live stream is available in the United States via MLB.TV, MLB app and MLBNetwork.com.
here:

Last edited:
So you actually can get a DiSH phone. Anyone have one?
One of the guys who works for me switched to Boost infinite. He had T-Mobile before that and he also switched from an android to the iPhone 15 Pro Max. I’ve asked him several times how he likes it. He says it’s great. He says he has better signal in places where he didn’t have any signal with T-Mobile.

The hardest part was going from android to iPhone, hoarding everything over, took a couple of days. Meaning, some of his text messages were still going to his old phone, for example