EchoStar/Dish raises doubts about 'ability to continue as a going concern'

I think they were asking about the Celero 5G+, not Boost Infinite. Boost Infinite for me has been very good.

The reviews for the Celero 5G+ have been a bit mixed. Underpowered, but it isn't as expensive as the top tier phones. I decided to go with the Samsung A23, as I was anxious about getting a first gen cell phone from a first gen cell phone company.

Reactions: charlesrshell
. I decided to go with the Samsung A23, as I was anxious about getting a first gen cell phone from a first gen cell phone company.
I have the Samsung A54 5G phone from tracfone (now verizon), total cost was $209, which included unlimited talk and text for a year, 8G of Data ( which I never use).

So for a year, cost averages to $17.42 a month, hard to beat that.

That is one of the reasons Dish cannot compete, the big boys will just offer better deals and snuff them out.

When there is a difference of more then 100 Million subscribers between #3 (t-mobile) and #4 Dish/Boost, shows it is impossible to make a substantial gain in sub numbers.

If Dish Wireless does start gaining a lot, the top 3 will then offer better deals again.

Looks like T-Mobile is going to auction the Spectrum, that Dish can no longer afford-

And that sums up their wireless problem. The provider market is saturated with each providing similar service and trying to poach the competitors customers.
Since you seem extremely knowledgeable ( advanced degree?) about this and the fact, I have never worked for a company that needed to go into a Chapter 7/11 (ha) .

What odds do you give Dish, considering the loss of subscribers from all of it’s businesses, every quarter the last few years, plus the $36 Billion in debt, cannot sell the spectrum per the FCC ( and they seem not too fond of Charlie Ergen), the bond/debt payments due this year and next.

Do you believe they can get a loan/investor, based on the debt payments due the next two years, finish the build out for the 5G money pit, plus just needing cash to run the company until they can monetize the spectrum, I estimate they need about $15-20 Billion, what do you think?

Or just do the bankruptcy, but that has it’s own risk for the shareholders, first dibs goes to the secured creditors, then 2nd to the bondholders (unsecured), then everyone else, usually shareholders get hardly anything, Charle Ergen is now just a stock/shareholder, he has the voting shares, but he still only has a smaller percentage of the total.

Echostar (NASDAQ: SATS) is owned by 16.06% institutional shareholders, 9.60% Echostar insiders, and 74.35% retail investors. Charles W. Ergen is the largest individual Echostar shareholder, owning 12.17M shares representing 4.48% of the company.

You know it's not just iPhone right? You can bring over any phone you want.
Nowbif you do want the smart network then iPhone 15 is your best option for the moment, but will be adding more devices. The manufacturer has to make a phone that supports the smart switching.
It's the activating the phone part..not the type of phone. His text messages were still going to his old phone for a couple days

If they go chapter 11 before the hounds are biting, at a minimum, the judge will likely protect the satellite and internet businesses by giving them rights to customer income, paying their expenses, and preventing creditors from claiming the assets.

The wireless business is grayer since it likely needs a cash infusion of large amounts of "new money" to survive and build out the network.

Probably depends if the bondholders want a quick haircut or want to take ownership and hang in for the long haul.

From the government's point of view, they will bend a lot to keep any and all parts of it a going business since they want more not less competition.

If they go chapter 11 before the hounds are biting, at a minimum, the judge will likely protect the satellite and internet businesses by giving them rights to customer income, paying their expenses, and preventing creditors from claiming the assets.

The wireless business is grayer since it likely needs a cash infusion of large amounts of "new money" to survive and build out the network.

Probably depends if the bondholders want a quick haircut or want to take ownership and hang in for the long haul.
What about a loan/investor, or does Dish need too much for that to be logical.

They tried for a $4 Billion loan to buy the T-Mobile Spectrum, were turned down, have no idea who they were asking, bank, investors, Sugar Daddy?

I would venture that there is a lot of hand-wringing over something that may not be the dark cloud it appears to be.
When I searched for more info, I did;t see this on Forbes or any well-regarded business sites.
I only see links like Fiercewirless.com, tvanswserman.com, thestreet.com, advanced-television.com, and so on.

If I could get a link to the SEC call with the shareholders, I'd be very interested to see what was really in there

I would venture that there is a lot of hand-wringing over something that may not be the dark cloud it appears to be.
When I searched for more info, I did;t see this on Forbes or any well-regarded business sites.
I only see links like Fiercewirless.com, tvanswserman.com, thestreet.com, advanced-television.com, and so on.

If I could get a link to the SEC call with the shareholders, I'd be very interested to see what was really in there
Look for the 10k

Boost Infinite is not Boost Mobile.
I hate they use the Boost name in this service.

Boost Infinite is Dish's contracted Wireless plan and the phone they offer are the iPhone 15, 15 Plus, 15 Pro, 15 Pro Max and the Galaxy S24+ and 24 Ultra and the assorted older, lower end phones like the iPhone SE, the Galax S23 5G, the iPhone 14 series, Motorola Razor, etc

The name is definitely a problem. It’s confusing and I see it mixed up constantly on their social media and in online forums. It should really have been branded as something else, ie: Dish Wireless.

With that said, I’ve read too many bad things about ports gone wrong and a lack of customer support. It has scared me away for now. I already lost one phone number thanks to a Verizon port gone bad a few years ago, and I won’t chance it again. (VZW has the WORST customer service, btw)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“… The net loss in 2023 was primarily attributable to a noncash impairment to goodwill totaling approximately $758 million, …”

I don’t think so.
Also said this-

• EchoStar reported 2023 total revenue of $17.02 billion, compared to $18.63 billion in 2022. The net decrease in revenue primarily resulted from subscriber declines, most significantly in its Pay-TV segment.
I always try to avoid the press releases, since they try and make things read better then they are, read what they file instead, quite boring, but you get
truth out of it.

Last edited:
He is posting that if you want accurate info, that is the best option.

Also this is the press release from Echostar/Dish themselves, pretty much confirms everything-

I still don't know what 10K is.

What I do know is that they have the cash on hand for the first payment and that one of the things that put Hamid Akhavan in the CEO chair is his connection to Wall Street and ability to make financial connections

The name is definitely a problem. It’s confusing and I see it mixed up constantly on their social media and in online forums. It should really have been branded as something else, ie: Dish Wireless.

With that said, I’ve read too many bad things about ports gone wrong and a lack of customer support. It has scared me away for now. I already lost one phone number thanks to a Verizon port gone bad a few years ago, and I won’t chance it again. (VZW has the WORST customer service, btw)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're right about VZW. Getting my number ported to T-Mobile was a PITA! I now have 2 of my techs who switched to Boost Infinite and are both giving positive reviews