Echostar files to move E6 to 61.5W

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
There is still space at 61.5 for them. They were on 61.5 until a few weeks ago when Dish moved them over to 77 to load test the satellite.

Its easy for them to move them back.

I think you mean the Nimiq 5 satellite at 72.7 W not 77 W. If there is room for additional HD programming on 61.5 W right now, when E-6 gets moved over to 61.5 W, I would expect that the WA would then have the limiting capacity for adding more CONUS programming although the E-14 launch and conversion to 8PSK on the WA may change that.

For the Eastern Arc (EA), the E-15 satellite is scheduled to launch in late 2010 (more probably in early 2011) to 61.5 W. It is a CONUS only satellite having no spotbeams. It should be noted that when the E-6 CONUS only satellite moves to 61.5 W, the E-12 satellite at 61.5 W might be able to use more of its spotbeam capacity for the EA. In addition, the QuetzSat-1 satellite is scheduled for launch in August of 2011 to 77 W. Dish will have use of 24 TPs on this satellite for use in the U.S. and it is expected that most of these should be for spotbeams.

Seriously? Are they planning on moving all EA HD local markets to an EA dish? E12 won't last forever (and is already having power problems), and many of us get our HD locals from 61.5. Even if there is a lot of space on Quetzsat-1, we will need repointed.

I was kind of hoping E15 would be a mirror of Ciel-2, with a ton of spots. Guess I've got years to wait now before we even get a chance of CW/PBS/MNTV in HD. While TP 17, 19, 21, and 23 have a spotbeam option, I'm not sure there exists the power or the uplink capacity for Dish to utilize it even with E6 at 61.5.

Seriously? Are they planning on moving all EA HD local markets to an EA dish? E12 won't last forever (and is already having power problems), and many of us get our HD locals from 61.5. Even if there is a lot of space on Quetzsat-1, we will need repointed.

I was kind of hoping E15 would be a mirror of Ciel-2, with a ton of spots. Guess I've got years to wait now before we even get a chance of CW/PBS/MNTV in HD. While TP 17, 19, 21, and 23 have a spotbeam option, I'm not sure there exists the power or the uplink capacity for Dish to utilize it even with E6 at 61.5.

Remember E12 is far from being fully utilized. Some downlink beams can not use all of their transponders due to them strapping multiple downlink beams to one uplink beam. There are also several beams pointed at the west coast that are not turned on at all. So it may have power problems but that would only affect the bird if they needed all the beams running.

I am not aware of any published design details for E15. I would speculate that it will have both spot and Conus capability.

The failed AMC 14 conus satellite was not designed for 61.5W. Dish/Echostar wanted something there fast and leased it near end of construction.

I am not aware of any published design details for E15. I would speculate that it will have both spot and Conus capability.

The failed AMC 14 conus satellite was not designed for 61.5W. Dish/Echostar wanted something there fast and leased it near end of construction.

That's what I thought, too, but rocatman seems to be pretty up on these matters. Should find out for sure in a few months when the schedule s is released.

They definitely are hurting. Looks like southern california will be 0 to marginal at best.

Attachments

• E6 at 61.5W.jpg
    E6 at 61.5W.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 353
E3 has been defective since it launched. They found out that when they went to full power on the TPs it overheated. Then the TPs started to fail at a fast rate. They ran out of spares and have been having to run with unused frequencies since they do not have spare TPs to cover the outages. Dish had a bad run of satellites E3, E4, E5 all did not do well, and started failing early.

But, almost every satellite up there has some problem.

Sorry, my bad, I believe E-15 will have spotbeam capacity as well as CONUS capacity. Ideally, Dish could put all the EA national programming on 72.7 W using all 32 TPs (with MPEG-4) and then use both 61.5 W and 77 W for spotbeams. Then an EA customer would only need a dish to see 61.5/72.7 W or 72.7/77 W.

In regards to AMC-14, Dish originally had a lease with SES for it at 105.5 W, a DBS tweener slot but after the FCC wouldn't allow it to go there it was reconfigured for 61.5 W so it would have done just fine at 61.5 W if there wasn't a launch vehicle failure.

Sorry, my bad, I believe E-15 will have spotbeam capacity as well as CONUS capacity. Ideally, Dish could put all the EA national programming on 72.7 W using all 32 TPs (with MPEG-4) and then use both 61.5 W and 77 W for spotbeams. Then an EA customer would only need a dish to see 61.5/72.7 W or 72.7/77 W.

In regards to AMC-14, Dish originally had a lease with SES for it at 105.5 W, a DBS tweener slot but after the FCC wouldn't allow it to go there it was reconfigured for 61.5 W so it would have done just fine at 61.5 W if there wasn't a launch vehicle failure.

Ahh, very good. But I'm not so sure Dish duplicating all 61.5 spots on 77 is an efficient use of space.

Ahh, very good. But I'm not so sure Dish duplicating all 61.5 spots on 77 is an efficient use of space.

I think you are confused at what I am saying. The spotbeams at 61.5 W wouldn't be duplicated at 77 W. What I was trying to say was that EA customers would have their locals come from either 61.5 W or 77 W so an EA customer wouldn't need to have a dish to pick up all three slots only two, 72.7 W and the one with their locals on it. This would make it easier and cheaper to install the dish. To add on to this concept, I don't see Dish having enough uplinks to use all 32 TPs at 61.5 W for spotbeams so perhaps some of the international programming could stay there as well as perhaps EA distant networks or other speciality programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)