Echostar files to move E6 to 61.5W

I am surprised Dish waited this long to apply for this move. I would expect quick approval by the FCC. The downlink coverage map for E-6 at 61.5 W looks very good except for a good portion of Maine and the southern part of Texas. The Florida Keys may also have some problems. I guess the question is whether Dish waits until E-6 is moved to add more HD programming or just puts it on Nimiq 5 at 72.7 W until E-6 gets to 61.5 W. I know it will piss off the 61.5/110/119 W folks but it may only be for about a month or so.

Sorry my speculation came true about the new HD programming going to 72.7 W and not to 61.5 W.

Sorry my speculation came true about the new HD programming going to 72.7 W and not to 61.5 W.

That's OK. Not your fault. :)

Actually, I hope your other speculation; i.e. that Dish will actually succeed in moving the satellite to 61.5 within a reasonable period of time and intends to put the new HD up on it, comes true as well.

That's the $64,000 question!

That's OK. Not your fault. :)

Actually, I hope your other speculation; i.e. that Dish will actually succeed in moving the satellite to 61.5 within a reasonable period of time and intends to put the new HD up on it, comes true as well.

That's the $64,000 question!

I have no doubt that Dish will get to move the E-6 satellite to 61.5 W quite quickly. I really question whether Dish will move the new HD programming from 72.7 W to 61.5 W. I believe Dish's long range plan for the Eastern Arc (EA) is to have have as much of the national programming on 72.7 W as possible since Nimiq 5 is a CONUS only satellite and use 61.5 W and 77 W primarily for locals. See my previous posts in this thread. To add on to my previous speculation, one option would to put all the SD channels that have duplicate HD channels on the 61.5 W and/or 77 W CONUS TPs as well as some international programming.

I have no doubt that Dish will get to move the E-6 satellite to 61.5 W quite quickly. I really question whether Dish will move the new HD programming from 72.7 W to 61.5 W. I believe Dish's long range plan for the Eastern Arc (EA) is to have have as much of the national programming on 72.7 W as possible since Nimiq 5 is a CONUS only satellite and use 61.5 W and 77 W primarily for locals. See my previous posts in this thread. To add on to my previous speculation, one option would to put all the SD channels that have duplicate HD channels on the 61.5 W and/or 77 W CONUS TPs as well as some international programming.

Oh, OK, sorry I mistakenly attributed that second piece of speculation to you.

If you're correct, of course, then those of us non-EAers with 61.5s are going to have to upgrade to 1000.2 or 1000.4 dishes. I'm not even sure I can; given the FIOS triple-play bundle (and the way Charlie's handled this) it might be time to re-evaluate my TV provider. :)

Thanks for the correction.

Moved my 110/119 to 61.5 / 72.7 around 3am. That wasn't too hard to align. Getting a piece of 77 here isn't so easy though since 82 is close enough to blast the heck out of my meter. Managed to get about 50/50 on 61.5 and 72.7 without a lot of work.

I'll be going back to my 110/119 / 61.5 setup because of my locals, but hopefully they'll get this sorted out or I'll be buying a DPP44 and doing 72.7 / 61.5 / 110 / 119 I guess. :)

This ball is in Charlie's court.

Oh, OK, sorry I mistakenly attributed that second piece of speculation to you.

If you're correct, of course, then those of us non-EAers with 61.5s are going to have to upgrade to 1000.2 or 1000.4 dishes. I'm not even sure I can; given the FIOS triple-play bundle (and the way Charlie's handled this) it might be time to re-evaluate my TV provider. :)

Thanks for the correction.

Yup. If Charlie & Co. will bring the new channels up on 61.5 in a few weeks, I can wait. If I have to have a new dish and I have to pay them to install it, then I too will be into re-evaluation mode (FIOS). Big time. This ball is in Charlie's court. :up

Yup. If Charlie & Co. will bring the new channels up on 61.5 in a few weeks, I can wait. If I have to have a new dish and I have to pay them to install it, then I too will be into re-evaluation mode (FIOS). Big time. This ball is in Charlie's court. :up
not to mention replaceing non-mpeg 4 receivers

not to mention replaceing non-mpeg 4 receivers

Juan: The 622 & 722 can handle mpeg4, that's not the issue. We are among Charlie's best customers and have been all along (check out my signature). My bill takes a boost evey year and this time is no exception.

Let me get this straight - my bill just went up and I must pay them more to get the new channels???

FIOS is available here - we have the internet & telephone package only - we wanted to keep Dish because we like Dish in general and we love the DVRs. A new dish at no cost to us is ok and/or put the new channels up on 61.5 in a few weeks is ok, but

If Charlie doesn't do right by us...

I think that Dish will not turn on E6 at 61.5 unless they have to do so. I think they will just move it over there in case the rest of E3 goes belly up. It is better to take care of the customers that have the 61.5 problem now and get them settled on either EA or WA and remove the hybrids. But, I think they are now worried that E3 could bite the dust at any time.

I think that Dish will not turn on E6 at 61.5 unless they have to do so. I think they will just move it over there in case the rest of E3 goes belly up. It is better to take care of the customers that have the 61.5 problem now and get them settled on either EA or WA and remove the hybrids. But, I think they are now worried that E3 could bite the dust at any time.

In my case I'll still be a Hybrid really. My locals are on 110/119 so basically I'll end up being 61.5 72.7 110 119 probably. If they'd launch my HD locals, I'd probably be in a good place but I haven't had any success latching onto 77. 82 is so hot here (62-67 on my Acutrac III+ that it is damned hard to find 77.

I have discussion going back and forth with Dish on Twitter. We'll see what they say. It might just end up that I will be buying an additional Dish500 and a DPP44 from DishStore. 61.5 and 72.7 are probably better off having separate dishes, though I was able to peak a signal strength of 48 using a single Dish500. I could probably work it and get better, but it was cold around 3am.

Dish on Twitter replied and basically said I'm out of luck right now and they're 'working on a fix'.

Yeah, me too, it sounds like another Dish and a DPP44. I'm familiar with how long it takes for Dish to 'fix' things.. :)

I really question whether Dish will move the new HD programming from 72.7 W to 61.5 W. I believe Dish's long range plan for the Eastern Arc (EA) is to have have as much of the national programming on 72.7 W as possible since Nimiq 5 is a CONUS only satellite and use 61.5 W and 77 W primarily for locals.
Say what? E6 is also a CONUS-only satellite, so I don't understand your logic. E3 is missing, what? 5 transponders right now today that E6 could give us? And you pointed out earlier in this very thread that E15 is also going to be CONUS only.

Last edited:
In my case I'll still be a Hybrid really. My locals are on 110/119 so basically I'll end up being 61.5 72.7 110 119 probably. If they'd launch my HD locals, I'd probably be in a good place but I haven't had any success latching onto 77. 82 is so hot here (62-67 on my Acutrac III+ that it is damned hard to find 77.

I have discussion going back and forth with Dish on Twitter. We'll see what they say. It might just end up that I will be buying an additional Dish500 and a DPP44 from DishStore. 61.5 and 72.7 are probably better off having separate dishes, though I was able to peak a signal strength of 48 using a single Dish500. I could probably work it and get better, but it was cold around 3am.

What is odd is that E12 has a spot right over Maine. I wonder why they have not put the locals on it yet. Only reason I can think of is that perhaps they do not have enough spot transponders to use for ME because of channel load in adjacent spots. Perhaps when they get E15 up they will move some conus TPs to E15 to let E12 use them for spots.

What is odd is that E12 has a spot right over Maine. I wonder why they have not put the locals on it yet. Only reason I can think of is that perhaps they do not have enough spot transponders to use for ME because of channel load in adjacent spots. Perhaps when they get E15 up they will move some conus TPs to E15 to let E12 use them for spots.

I was under the impression they're loaded to capacity. Guess that may not be the case by what you're saying.

Dish is using a digital OTA antenna to pick up our locals and inject it into their network at the moment. The problem with this is that the CW and FOX stations are in Standard Def. DirecTV, at the very least, has FOX in HD, as does the cable company. Admittedly, DirecTV may be doing the same thing (antenna on the roof), but since they're co-located at FOX/ABC, they are getting those feeds off the equipment at the site.

Dish co-locates at the NBC affiliate here and has had SD locals for several years before DirecTV did. As it sits, Dish could be waiting/hoping for FOX to go HD OTA before rolling out or locals, or they've not been interested in re-visiting carriage deals.

The heck of it is, that FOX received DFC permission in Sept to switch to digital. They still haven't and continue to operate as a subchannel on our ABC affiliate (which is owned by the same company as the FOX affiliate).

soundl like local problem

I was under the impression they're loaded to capacity. Guess that may not be the case by what you're saying.

Dish is using a digital OTA antenna to pick up our locals and inject it into their network at the moment. The problem with this is that the CW and FOX stations are in Standard Def. DirecTV, at the very least, has FOX in HD, as does the cable company. Admittedly, DirecTV may be doing the same thing (antenna on the roof), but since they're co-located at FOX/ABC, they are getting those feeds off the equipment at the site.

Dish co-locates at the NBC affiliate here and has had SD locals for several years before DirecTV did. As it sits, Dish could be waiting/hoping for FOX to go HD OTA before rolling out or locals, or they've not been interested in re-visiting carriage deals.

The heck of it is, that FOX received DFC permission in Sept to switch to digital. They still haven't and continue to operate as a subchannel on our ABC affiliate (which is owned by the same company as the FOX affiliate).

Sounds like your local affiliates are having the problem which is holding back providers from launching sat HD. It's not unusual for either E* or D8 to pull the signals off air. BTW very few markets have CW in HD.

Sounds like your local affiliates are having the problem which is holding back providers from launching sat HD. It's not unusual for either E* or D8 to pull the signals off air. BTW very few markets have CW in HD.

I think it's more likely that Dish is stalling.

We have NBC CBS ABC and PBS in HD OTA (We did when Dish launched SD here too). Dish just added our CW a few months ago in SD (Subchannel on CBS) and Dish carries FOX (and those 4 other channels) in SD as of Dec 2005 (I believe, maybe it was 2006).

I don't see why Dish would hold off just for FOX. Admittedly they seem to have the most popular programming (Sports and in Primetime) but I figure they'd just carry the others.

Say what? E6 is also a CONUS-only satellite, so I don't understand your logic. E3 is missing, what? 5 transponders right now today that E6 could give us? And you pointed out earlier in this very thread that E15 is also going to be CONUS only.

I also had a later post, #36 that stated that I was wrong about the E-15 satellite, that I believe it will have spotbeam capacity. I also posted in another later thread, #39 that I thought Dish would use the 72.7 W slot for most if not all CONUS programming for the Eastern Arc and 61.5 W and 77 W for primarily locals on spotbeams. Please read all the postings in a thread, otherwise your postings look foolish.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)