Echostar files to move E6 to 61.5W

that good news for the New HD at 61.5W

Supertv,

According to previous posts, its highly likely Dish will not move or launch more HD content from 61.5.

If you want the additional HD channels that were just added or access to additional HD in the future, I suggest you look into moving to Eastern Arc or putting up a 129 Dish.

John

Good news, because my locals are on that sick bird!

Bgothard,

Actually your Locals on not on the "Sick Bird". 61.5 has two satellites resided in that orbital slot. E*3 which is the sick satellite and Echostar 12 (which used to be called Rainbow 1 before Dish Network acquired it from Rainbow media after they sold off all of their Uplink facilities and Satellite). Echostar 12 is very healthy, and carries the entire load of Locals for 61.5 as it is a Spotbeam satellite.

Echostar 12 is not able to use its spotbeams as well as operate enough conus transponders to fill the entire 32 transponder license Dish has for 61.5. Echostar 3 is being used to fill in the rest of the transponder load. The problem is that Echostar is VERY sick, it has been struck with numerous failures over the years. Over the last couple of weeks Echostar 3 has lost more transponders.

With the FCC approving the move of Echostar 6 from 77 to 61.5, but not to use it at 61.5 (yet), Echostar 6 will allow Dish to use all 32 transponders they have license for at 61.5.

John

Supertv,

According to previous posts, its highly likely Dish will not move or launch more HD content from 61.5.

If you want the additional HD channels that were just added or access to additional HD in the future, I suggest you look into moving to Eastern Arc or putting up a 129 Dish.

John
Scott also swore up and down that all new HD would be availble on 61.5..time will tell

On Monday afternoon I would have told you that the new Hd would be on 61.5.

After the Scotty chat I got an email saying it would launch at 72.7 but the email indicated they were going to move it to 61.5 when they could.

Then on Wednesday I got another email saying they wouldn't be moving them and all new HD would be on 72.7.

How quickly things change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's sad that .....

It's really sad that a company the size of dish has put thousands of people in the present situation w/o revealing a "roadmap" for the future. Speculation, etc. just doesn't cut it.
Most people with 110/119 and 61.5 setups are long time customers and probably are for the most part high paying subs (like me). Do they think that secrecy is going to instill future confidence in subs! I think not :mad:. I know my feeling for the company has been greatly reduced since the start of this situation.
They absolutely need to put out a plan for the future- otherwise they can deal with the loss of subs.
P*ss Poor way of doing business :rant::rant::rant::rant:
Gerry

After the Scotty chat I got an email saying it would launch at 72.7 but the email indicated they were going to move it to 61.5 when they could.

Then on Wednesday I got another email saying they wouldn't be moving them and all new HD would be on 72.7.

We all know Charlie is cheap..Based on that premise I bet he moves new HD to E6 (to save on truck rolls and receiver upgrades) and just forces the people in the fringe areas to switch (for now) there are a lot of older sd (301,311,etc) receivers that would be easier to replace as they fail rather than all at 1 time .

This will make a great DirectTV ad.

When Dish releases new national HD, they appear to hold a lottery to see which of the customers who are paying for it will actually get it, do YOU feel lucky today? Then a map entitle Dish provides national HD in these areas - forward projection in time, with one county falling off the map after another, until a man with a Tennessee accent knocks into the board, dislodging all the counties.

This will make a great DirectTV ad.

When Dish releases new national HD, they appear to hold a lottery to see which of the customers who are paying for it will actually get it, do YOU feel lucky today? Then a map entitle Dish provides national HD in these areas - forward projection in time, with one county falling off the map after another, until a man with a Tennessee accent knocks into the board, dislodging all the counties.

I love the lottery idea (or Dirty Charlie pointing a sat dish at subscribers' heads and asking "do you feel lucky today"?).

Yea, if DirecTV doesn't jump on this then there's GOT to be a good reason.

!

Bgothard,

Actually your Locals on not on the "Sick Bird". 61.5 has two satellites resided in that orbital slot. E*3 which is the sick satellite and Echostar 12 (which used to be called Rainbow 1 before Dish Network acquired it from Rainbow media after they sold off all of their Uplink facilities and Satellite). Echostar 12 is very healthy, and carries the entire load of Locals for 61.5 as it is a Spotbeam satellite.

Echostar 12 is not able to use its spotbeams as well as operate enough conus transponders to fill the entire 32 transponder license Dish has for 61.5. Echostar 3 is being used to fill in the rest of the transponder load. The problem is that Echostar is VERY sick, it has been struck with numerous failures over the years. Over the last couple of weeks Echostar 3 has lost more transponders.

With the FCC approving the move of Echostar 6 from 77 to 61.5, but not to use it at 61.5 (yet), Echostar 6 will allow Dish to use all 32 transponders they have license for at 61.5.

John

Thanks for the info. I did not know this!

Planning?

I just can't get my arms around this one. I was told that 119/110/61.5 was pretty much "future proof' and that EA was not necessary. Now they back away from that.

This household is one of their premium subscribers and the bill increases each year.

And now they want to be paid yet again for the 1000.4 conversion?

Amazing!!! Does this reflect any thought or planning at all?

Do these people have any understanding of the term, "Business Management?" :rant:

Sats fail, and transponders die. Nothing stays the same. I am sure that if DISH had their way they would put all hd on 61.5, but that didn't happen as one of the sats at 61.5 is having problems. DISH should just go ahead and upgrade all customers with mixed arc dishes like 110/119/61.5. If your locals are off of eastern arc they should install a 1000.4 and if off of western arc a 1000.2 dish. These are now going to be the only two dishes besides the international dish: 500 or 1000 plus. Scott said that even internationals will be repeated in the future off of 72.7 so no more need for a side sat for 118 . I think that allowing all these different dish combinations to exist up to now, has caused a lot of confusion and problems when ever there is a need to move channels to different sats when there are failures on the satellites. DISH should just upgrade their HD subs to one of the two types of dishes and be done with it.

I have paid to upgrade myself each time I wanted to do , whether it was receivers or dishes. I have installed all my dishes since about 2000. I have installed a new dish 500 with dish pro plus twin when they came out and then a dish 1000 , then a dish 1000.2 and a side sat for 61.5 and then a dish 1000.4 sat dish. It wasn't hard to do because the dishes came with instructions and I had bought a cheap sat meter for like $20.00 off of an online retailer like dishstore.net. And of course this website has helped me learn all I need to about DISH satellite and installing it , the different dishes ,etc. Without it I would never be as good at it as I am today.

I also installed my own poles in the ground using quick-crete after Hurricane Rita ripped my old prime star pole down I was using for my DISH 500 +side sat for 61.5. Having dishes on poles makes it easy to change out lnbs , re-aim to other sats or re-peak as needed. Of course to me this is a hobby. One that I have really loved for over 13 years now. I love the fact that when my neighbors had no cable for 30 days after Rita hit back 5 years ago , I had satellite the same day the lights came on . All I had to do was put up another dish 500 I had saved in what was left of my shed , and I was watching tv . As a precaution I now take down my dishes and put them in the house when a hurricane is coming now. Saves me the money to replace them.

Last edited:
We all know Charlie is cheap..Based on that premise I bet he moves new HD to E6 (to save on truck rolls and receiver upgrades) and just forces the people in the fringe areas to switch (for now) there are a lot of older sd (301,311,etc) receivers that would be easier to replace as they fail rather than all at 1 time .

Well true, but at the same time, seems like the majority of the people who have had to upgrade have had to pay something. Most have had to pay a $15 charge and had to sign up for the $6 a month service plan which there's a $25 cancellation fee. And some of us who have receivers that dont work with EA, we have had to pay between $50-$100 to upgrade. So in a way, it hasnt been a total loss for Dish. Charlie has found a way to piss off customers and still make some money back in the process.:mad:

Well true, but at the same time, seems like the majority of the people who have had to upgrade have had to pay something. Most have had to pay a $15 charge and had to sign up for the $6 a month service plan which there's a $25 cancellation fee. And some of us who have receivers that dont work with EA, we have had to pay between $50-$100 to upgrade. So in a way, it hasnt been a total loss for Dish. Charlie has found a way to piss off customers and still make some money back in the process.:mad:
I have to upgrade 3 SD(to mpeg 4) receivers so Its a bit more than $15

I just can't get my arms around this one. I was told that 119/110/61.5 was pretty much "future proof' and that EA was not necessary. Now they back away from that.

This household is one of their premium subscribers and the bill increases each year.

And now they want to be paid yet again for the 1000.4 conversion?

Amazing!!! Does this reflect any thought or planning at all?

Do these people have any understanding of the term, "Business Management?" :rant:

Just because the information from Scott's connections seemed to go up and down doesn't mean that's the way it played out internally. It seems unlikely that Charlie just woke up one morning and decided that he was going to move all national HD off of 61.5. Dish knew in advance what they were planning and decided not to let people who would be affected know and also not to put the new channels up at least temporarily where they would be accessible to all. Certainly it's possible 61.5 suffered additional failures recently but it's been known for a while that 61.5 was having serious problems. Of course this is speculation (like most everything else on these boards pertaining to this) but it is consistent with what's happened; anyone who claims there is hard evidence pointing in one direction or the other is simply ill-informed.

I wouldn't say it's speculation look at all we announced here this year alone all of it on the money.

I see lots of internal conversations and documents that I am sure dish does not want me to see.

From what I am hearing now is it's costing a lit for them to upgrade people they don't want to pay all this money for hardware upgrades to just apply a band aid for a month thus the reason are not moving the channels back to 61.5 when a healthy bird is there.

For someone who is ill informed I am awfully damn accurate. :)

With that said I am just passing along what I hear. :)

I wouldn't say it's speculation look at all we announced here this year alone all of it on the money.

I see lots of internal conversations and documents that I am sure dish does not want me to see.

From what I am hearing now is it's costing a lit for them to upgrade people they don't want to pay all this money for hardware upgrades to just apply a band aid for a month thus the reason are not moving the channels back to 61.5 when a healthy bird is there.

For someone who is ill informed I am awfully damn accurate. :)

With that said I am just passing along what I hear. :)

Thank you, Scott! I'm so glad I'm a member of Satellite Guys!! Don't stop what you are doing!

In my opinion this is all Dish's fault.

If they would have just come clean in the very beginning and told us that they were rolling out new HD, but because of hardware issues they would be doing it in two phases. That most of their customer base would see the new channels in February and that the "few" 61.5 users would see them a month later, I don't think you would have had the rush of people demanding upgrades.

Even if they had to give the 61.5 people a couple of bucks off on their bills for a month or two, it would have been cheaper then how they actually handled it.

They, in effect, forced the people to call for upgrades by announcing the new HD would be on one of the other Eastern arc birds and marginalizing the 61.5 people as a "few" with no remedy in sight except to upgrade.

Now you have Dish wasting money, customers wasting money, and a bunch of unhappy people.

Way to go Dish.

In my opinion this is all Dish's fault.

If they would have just come clean in the very beginning and told us that they were rolling out new HD, but because of hardware issues they would be doing it in two phases. That most of their customer base would see the new channels in February and that the "few" 61.5 users would see them a month later, I don't think you would have had the rush of people demanding upgrades.

Even if they had to give the 61.5 people a couple of bucks off on their bills for a month or two, it would have been cheaper then how they actually handled it.

They, in effect, forced the people to call for upgrades by announcing the new HD would be on one of the other Eastern arc birds and marginalizing the 61.5 people as a "few" with no remedy in sight except to upgrade.

Now you have Dish wasting money, customers wasting money, and a bunch of unhappy people.
Way to go Dish.

And as per usual, totally uneducated as to the matter. No one at Dish Planned on the failure of current 61.5. Sh*t happened.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)