Echostar issues statement regarding Tivo

They would probably be forced into making a forced update that is not optional to all of the DVR's. I wonder if they can even have the capability of shutting the DVR functions off. Would they have to shut the receiver off completely?

The wall street journal had an article
...The two companies also issued dueling statements Wednesday in reaction to a preliminary rejection by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office of some of TiVo's patent claims...

In court papers filed Monday, TiVo sought to disable DVR functionality in all but 192,708 EchoStar DVR units already placed with customers....

Interesting 192,708 DVRs...

Scott Greczkowski said:
Tivo has now issued a statement in this matter.

"The level of misleading spin that EchoStar is putting out with respect to
our patent case against them is quite extraordinary. We are pleased to
state that the USPTO issued its first Office Action in the reexamination.
The USPTO reexamined all 61 claims set forth in the Barton patent
confirming the validity of most of the claims, including two of the claims
that EchoStar has been found to have willfully infringed. In the Office
Action, the USPTO expressly rejected the invalidity arguments put forward
by EchoStar. While certain of the patent claims were rejected by the
patent office, this should in no way impact the jury verdict. We will now
be given an opportunity with the patent office to discuss our claims which
we believe should result in a reaffirmed and strengthened patent. We will
provide a real understanding of how this process works on our earnings
call after close of market today."

Tivo cries almost as much as the NAB does. Consumers have spoken Tivo, WE DON'T WANT YOU. Move along and come up with something useful and don't waste your time in court. Lawsuit lovin Charlie will bleed your financially struggling company dry in court.

riffjim4069 said:
Hey, they sound just like the folks from the Lifetime Channel...:rolleyes:

I wonder if old Louise is at Tivo now? :D "SEXIST COMPANIES SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO DVR! DISH DOESN'T CARE ABOUT BREAST CANCER!!"

goaliebob99 said:
Thats what im looking for.... It looks like alot of the patenets are also owned by huges net.. Geee.. who owns huges... D*

When does D* own Hughes?

www.hughes.com

Hughes Network Systems, LLC (HUGHES) is the global leader in providing broadband satellite networks and services for large enterprises, governments, small businesses, and consumers. HughesNet™ encompasses all broadband solutions and managed services from Hughes, bridging the best of satellite and terrestrial technologies. Hughes has shipped more than 1,000,000 systems to customers in over 100 countries. Its broadband satellite products are based on the IPoS (IP over Satellite) global standard, approved by the TIA, ETSI, and ITU standards organizations.

Headquartered outside Washington, D.C., in Germantown, Maryland, USA, Hughes maintains sales and support offices worldwide. Hughes is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hughes Communications, Inc. (OTCBB:HGCM).

blueaurora said:
192,708 refunds coming back down the pike or perhaps 192,708 people in one good sized class action lawsuit!

Here We Go again Weeeeeeeeeeee~!
It read 'all but 192,708' which means all except those would be turned off. Sounds like 'no new DVR installs' to me.

So, how many DVRs does dish have out there? I'd think more than 200k but maybe not. I wouldn't be quaking in my boots if I were a dish DVR owner.... not yet.

Last edited:
Maybe it is 192,708 Dish Players? It seems like a way low number to me too, I would expect at least 2-3 million DVRs by now (i.e. 20-30% of Dish customers).

The Tate said:
When does D* own Hughes?

www.hughes.com

Hughes Network Systems, LLC (HUGHES) is the global leader in providing broadband satellite networks and services for large enterprises, governments, small businesses, and consumers. HughesNet™ encompasses all broadband solutions and managed services from Hughes, bridging the best of satellite and terrestrial technologies. Hughes has shipped more than 1,000,000 systems to customers in over 100 countries. Its broadband satellite products are based on the IPoS (IP over Satellite) global standard, approved by the TIA, ETSI, and ITU standards organizations.

Headquartered outside Washington, D.C., in Germantown, Maryland, USA, Hughes maintains sales and support offices worldwide. Hughes is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hughes Communications, Inc. (OTCBB:HGCM).

D* does not own Hughes. But Hughes does own some of D*.

Rupe only owns 34% of D*. Rupe is the largest shareholder. But it would be possible for someone to get more D* stock than Rupe has and effectively takeover D* from Rupe.

DirecTV was created by the General Motors owned Hughes Electronics. General Motors sold controlling interest in Hughes Electronics to NewsCorp in 2003.

David_Levin said:
Sure, unless you want to PVR you new mpeg4 HD Locals.

thankfully i'm blessed and live near a big city with plenty of ota so locals via satellite are a non issue. And until sci fi and other goodies go HD, i have no need for mpeg4 recording.

RVD420 said:
Rupe only owns 34% of D*. Rupe is the largest shareholder. But it would be possible for someone to get more D* stock than Rupe has and effectively takeover D* from Rupe.
We could only hope.:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts