Echostar issues statement regarding Tivo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
mike123abc said:
Maybe it is 192,708 Dish Players? It seems like a way low number to me too, I would expect at least 2-3 million DVRs by now (i.e. 20-30% of Dish customers).

I suspect that there are 192,708 model 7100 and 7200 units still in service. Those are probably covered by licensing agreements with Microsoft.

RVD420 said:
D* does not own Hughes. But Hughes does own some of D*.

Rupe only owns 34% of D*. Rupe is the largest shareholder. But it would be possible for someone to get more D* stock than Rupe has and effectively takeover D* from Rupe.

John Malone comes to mind.

I believe, this is all direct tv doing. DTV is paired with tivo and if dishnetwork dvr is shut down, subscribers will move over to dtv for the dvr features. I have a old ultimate tv dvr by microsoft, with two tuners for dtv. That box was released at least a year before a single tuner tivo was released and many years before tivo paired with dtv. So how did tivo get a patent on technology that was created before they even existed.

This is the same thing tivo has done to have sonicblue replaytv shut down. Shame on you, tivo.

I was told recently by a friend that does DirecTv installations that they will be having new two and four tuner receivers coming out soon but I do not know if that is the truth. I wonder if the four tuner receivers would have the DVR functionality or would be part of the home media center type of deal that I heard about. I know that they already have dual tuner DVR's but they only have one tv output. I am thinking that these new ones would have two and four tv outputs. Anybody else hear anything such as this coming out?

Heavie said:
I have a old ultimate tv dvr by microsoft, with two tuners for dtv. That box was released at least a year before a single tuner tivo was released and many years before tivo paired with dtv.
What box is that? Never heard of it.

UltimateTV was announced in June 2000, and shipped in early 2001. The launch went badly, with Microsoft announcing product availability around the Consumer Electronics Show, then retracting the statement at the end of the month, and stating that public availability wouldn't happen until March or later.

UltimateTV offered Microsoft's WebTV service as well as the ability to record DirecTV with dual tuners.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2000/Jun00/DirecTVpr.mspx

Screenshots of UltimateTV can be found here:

http://www.pvrcompare.com/utvimages.html

In September 2001, it was upgraded to add a "keep until" feature and manual (time-based) recording of programmes.

In January 2002, Microsoft announced that 1/3 of the jobs in its UltimateTV group were to be eliminated, and at the same time the service was upgraded to add the ability to schedule programme recording through the web, movie recommendations, and auto recording of content that matches user preferences.

In late 2002, UltimateTV units stopped being manufactured. In Spring 2003 it was updated to add caller ID display, and a few other small features. Finally, in late 2003 support for the devices was basically stopped.

UltimateTV failed because - as you might expect of Microsoft - it was overpriced. The base unit initially cost hundreds of dollars, and the monthly subscription fees could top $100 as well. The existing boxes can still be used, and there seem to be a reasonable number of users still around, but they're completely unsupported.

Heavie said:
I have a old ultimate tv dvr by microsoft, with two tuners for dtv. That box was released at least a year before a single tuner tivo was released and many years before tivo paired with dtv. So how did tivo get a patent on technology that was created before they even existed.
I haven't posted for awhile, but this post made me! This is the biggest misinformation I have read in a while. The first Tivo box was released for public availability in April 1999. I had one myself since June 1999. It was a Tivo box and made by Philips Electronics, who build the first boxes for Tivo and it was a cobranded product. UlitmateTV was not announced till September 2000. Based on your post, I think you don't like Tivo (not sure why, because Tivo's interface is far superior to any DVR and I have had Tivo, Dishplayer, my cable DVR and EyeTV (mac based DVR software)). All are very useable, but the Tivo interface is far more elegant.
And Tivo is not owned by Hughes either. In fact, D* is planning to use an News Corp inhouse solution that will be build by NDS. (NDS is owned by Hughes) and I am sure D* is watching this case because of their NDS interest, but that's really all there is.

MarcelV said:
I think you don't like Tivo (not sure why, because Tivo's interface is far superior to any DVR and I have had Tivo, Dishplayer, my cable DVR and EyeTV (mac based DVR software)). All are very useable, but the Tivo interface is far more elegant.

You forgot to mention the superior speed of the Tivo!:rolleyes:

Greetings to all. I am a former employee of dishnetwork that has left his position almost a week ago. I can tell you that company uses lies and deciet not only to their customers but their employees. For them to be the only ones to post on their OWN website that they are winning the TIVO case is very suspect. I can tell you from my own experience that I feel that TIVO will win any appeal against dish.

Greetings. I understand that you are probably pretty pi$$ed off at E* right now, but I'd like to advise you not to say anything more out of bitterness. I used to do things like that, when I wasn't happy with my departure from ex-employers. It really doesn't do anybody any good whether it's true or not. Including yourself.

ChetK said:
Greetings. I understand that you are probably pretty pi$$ed off at E* right now, but I'd like to advise you not to say anything more out of bitterness. I used to do things like that, when I wasn't happy with my departure from ex-employers. It really doesn't do anybody any good whether it's true or not. Including yourself.

I'm going to back up ChetK..... Hold it in... Especially on this forum..

ChetK said:

Really? If what he says is true, why wouldn't it do any of us any good?

When your "ex-employer" is Dish Network and this IS a Dish Network forum and Dish HAS on occassion used lies and deceit, I for one wouldn't mind hearing what the guy has to say and can probably decide for myself whether it's credable or just bitter employee retoric.

Roll on Superman

IMHO
Like Tivo would never lie nor do anything to stay in business.
All corporations are in it for money and right now Tivo is fighting to stay alive.
Personaly I have always felt Tivo to be an over priced, over intrusive product.
(not unlike AOL)
Of course some customers like that sort of BS in their hardware and software.
(Maybe they are naive or maybe they are lazy , I really don't know)
Me, I don't. Stay the *%#$@ out of my way when use my "stuff", I tell it what I want it to do. And I don't like being "kept track of..." , "for whatever reason...".
Anyway, it is clear to me that you don't wait "this long" to bring a lawsuit unless it's because it's a last resort.

MarcelV said:
I haven't posted for awhile, but this post made me! This is the biggest misinformation I have read in a while. The first Tivo box was released for public availability in April 1999. I had one myself since June 1999. It was a Tivo box and made by Philips Electronics, who build the first boxes for Tivo and it was a cobranded product. UlitmateTV was not announced till September 2000.

a) Relying on Wikipedia for your references isn't always advisable. Yes, Wikipedia says that UltimateTV wasn't announced until September 2000. Wikipedia is wrong. UltimateTV was announced in June 2000, as I already stated in this thread. (I have a copy of that press release).

b) You misread his post, and hence completely misunderstood it. He said (emphasis mine): "That box was released at least a year before a single tuner tivo was released and many years before tivo paired with dtv."

Yes, there were earlier Tivos, such as you had - but they didn't have tuners in them. They piggybacked off your existing devices' tuners.

goaliebob99 said:
You just saw this too!!!! Makes you go hummm... I bet Tivo's stock price goes way down today!
It's interesting. When Tivo won the judgement against Dish it's stock jumped like a half buck to about $8.50. I am a Dish stockholder, but decided to take a look at Tivo. I concluded it was overvalued at $8+ and have only continued to follow it (and the ruling.) I see it continues a steady decline since the Court decision and is off a little to $6.07

ChetK said:
Good advice - don't burn any bridges.... even anonymously.

waltinvt said:
Really? If what he says is true, why wouldn't it do any of us any good? ...
Do you think he is a disgruntled ex VP or a disgruntled ex Janitor? If a CSR or a Tech, for example, do you value his.her opinion as to the Patent dispute> Gimme a break. lol :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)