EchoStar launching Sling Modem ?

Yes it is real, its a cable modem with built in Slingbox...

I was able to take a few pictures of it last night. :D

Attachments

• CIMG0584.jpg
    CIMG0584.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 193
  • CIMG0586.jpg
    CIMG0586.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 169
  • CIMG0587.jpg
    CIMG0587.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 184
this thing is realy cool. My brother used to spend a lot of time in Japan and singapore. He spoke none of the languages so in his off time he used it to watch TV from US on his laptop in the hotel. Had to have his hockey.

I also understand that there are a number of inovations on the shelves which have not been released. I think that this tech has great promise and dish and slingbox will do some good things.

I'm still not getting it; what do you do with this box? Do you send or receive programming with it over cable ? Is this the SlingCatcher where you hook it up to your Dish receiver at home and can then watch your programs on another TV located remotely ?

Let's recap. So far what we have is:

It WILL be released .
Pictures of it from Scott.
Mike thinks it's "realy cool"
Ron is mad that there's no HDMI
Sean is sure Dish will want an activation fee.

NOW CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THE HELL IT DOES!!!!! :)

it allows you to hook it up to your dvr or stb and then watch the same programming on dvr or stb from anywhere as long as you have an internet connection.

Let's recap. So far what we have is:

It WILL be released .
Pictures of it from Scott.
Mike thinks it's "realy cool"
Ron is mad that there's no HDMI
Sean is sure Dish will want an activation fee.

NOW CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THE HELL IT DOES!!!!! :)

And Charlie would like a five or more satellite switch. Go DPP64!!!

it allows you to hook it up to your dvr or stb and then watch the same programming on dvr or stb from anywhere as long as you have an internet connection.

THANKS Sean! So I guess you'll need a box on each end? I'm hoping you can watch on another TV and not just a computer . It does sound like SlingCatcher.

Ok I went ahead an read the link:

With this, you'll be able to use the same box for your cable internet to surf and stream video to your portable devices. We're always happy when we can make two gadgets into one.

My guess that they want you to replace your cable modem with this one. But I do not know how feasible this will be. I thought that the serial number of each cable modem is linked to your account. I do not know if this is going to be useful unless they worked directly with the cable companies to make sure it is compatible.

MAybe they should just call it the SlingConfusion .

If this works well as a cable modem it has potential but the problem is that no cable company will give you support for it if you call with problems. They will tell you to contact Echostart/Sling and Echostart/Sling will tell you to contact the cable company. I will wait very long before I change my cable modem for this one. No way in hell I will put myself in those type of headaches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)