Echostar patents putting a weather station on subscriber roofs

Dish has already assembled a weather station integrity department. They will be looking for their subs that have installed an unauthorized weather station - one that isn't Dish's. :D

If you pay Dish for their service and equipment to watch tv, Dish should pay you for the use your roof, or where ever their weather station is located. And they should pay you because the information gathered has to be sent back to Dish, so you should be paid for landline or broadband used to send the weather information.

More information data like Nielson. I think the weather station idea is a good one though. There are plenty enough Dish subscribers out there to get results from all over the place. They can make the lnb's in bulk enough to make it standard not adding much to the cost. The data could be sent over and powered over the coax. Makes me wonder what other things they could implement at the lnb/dish with power and data being sent over the coax.

I just don't see how Charlie can even try to Celsius this to us. It might be nice were it a free-zing night to know when the LNB is going South. I know when it's cold I like the warmer climes. But seriously it sounds like it could be a good thing. I have a weather station I need to install once I figure out where I can mount it.

This probably would be a good idea for local weather. I doubt they'd put it on every dish... rather they'd select random locations within a particular area.

Having the weather station mounted on the roof is one thing, what if the weather station is mounted on the side of a building? If my station is mounted on the wall on the north side of my house, and the rain is coming from the south, how accurate will the rain gauge readings be? Or the wind is out of the east, what affects will the wind going around the house have on the weather station and how accurate will the wind speeds be? Temp readings may be off because the location is shaded or the heat is being reflected off the wall. Temp readings may say XX degrees when it is really YY degrees.

I think itll eventually be used to get rid of weather channel. They can call it hopper doppler. The info will be collected and mapped and then sold to google. :D No way will I be payin for that. Thge buyer of the info should and then there is charlies new revenue stream.

I seriously doubt there will be a charge. I think they'll gather the data to produce the "hyperlocal" reports.

"Revenue generating" doesn't necessarily mean from the subscriber.

After reading it again, I've changed my mind. I think they'll try to charge the subscriber, use the data themselves, and sell it to other organizations as well.

I don't think I need a weather station on my roof. A neighbor has one, and I can access it online. If only I remember how. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)