EFF Fights Echostar

I will be honest, I have a coolsat 5000... it s currently on the shelf in my closet as it would not move the motor correctly on my dish.

Never loaded anything on it, still factory default.

Does owning a legal satellite recever make me a criminal?

*** RANT MODE ON ***

Hell if they are going to go after everyone who has a free to air box, then the should go after everyone who has electricity as well, because you need power to power the FTA box and satellite dish that would then make it possible for you to hack Dish Networks signal.

Lets not forget that Echostar is one of the largest maker and sellers of FTA receivers in Europe. And those receivers are used all over Europe to steal signals. (or so I am told)

Hello Mr Pot... meet Mr Kettle!

If Dish just worked on FIXING their encryption problem instead of trying to go after folks with LEGAL FTA equipment, then there would not be an issue with people owning legal FTA boxes.

I dont know about you but I am getting sick of big corporations using our government as a collection agency for their own faults.

*** Rant mode off. :D ***

Don't worry Scott - they'll settle the case with you for $5000 ( I guess you have the box for two years, right ?). :p

BTW, I did ask you about Mobile Dish Antenna (MOB-41 and MOB-21) - any info about it ?

Actually the Coolsat 5000 think is 3 or 4 years old now. I now use the Fortec box, it dosent have the nice menus like the Coolsat but it works.

I dont know anything about those antennas, sorry.

I will be honest, I have a coolsat 5000... it s currently on the shelf in my closet as it would not move the motor correctly on my dish.

*** RANT MODE ON ***

Hell if they are going to go after everyone who has a free to air box, then the should go after everyone who has electricity as well, because you need power to power the FTA box and satellite dish that would then make it possible for you to hack Dish Networks signal.

Lets not forget that Echostar is one of the largest maker and sellers of FTA receivers in Europe. And those receivers are used all over Europe to steal signals. (or so I am told)

If Dish just worked on FIXING their encryption problem instead of trying to go after folks with LEGAL FTA equipment, then there would not be an issue with people owning legal FTA boxes.

I dont know about you but I am getting sick of big corporations using our government as a collection agency for their own faults.

You ought to save this post for the next time someone accuses you of being Dish's "bitch" (so to speak).

Boy Dish would have a field day with me then

lets see
Coolsat 5000....running version 1.00 on it...there is a legal 1.01 firmware but I didnt like it
Pansat 1500.....running 3 year old software in it (no upgrade)
Quali-TV....no new software for over a year and was built in the Netherlands...yeah they're gonna figure a way to hack that
Coolsat 8000....factory software..newest factory
Visionsat..factory software. hell when there is a new factory software we post it here as SatelliteAV works with them
Fortec Merc II...just got a month ago and has the factory in it. Trying to get ahold of the Glorystar firmware for it
Viacast 1500....cant even load software into it its so old

So come on Dish....When you come to my house you'll see a bunch of Primestar dishes and C-Band dishes. I have a LNB for 119 and thats to use your 811 box for OTA

Why dont you secure the signal first instead of going after the TRUE FTA'ers? That would be funny to have Charlie show up. I'll even show him some cool stuff out there :)

What about the churches and schools that use fta boxes for religious and educational programming ? Charlie is going to look like a real jerk dragging them into court. I'm sure some of them bought coolsat boxes.

What about the churches and schools that use fta boxes for religious and educational programming ? Charlie is going to look like a real jerk dragging them into court. I'm sure some of them bought coolsat boxes.
Yep, most of the FTA users in my community seem to be either churches, schools, retired Christians, or those of ethnic descent - sounds like a good group to target. Go sick em Charlie!

Iceberg, we did discuss the idea a while ago - re-flashing the Cool/Pan/etc sats is matter of 5 minutes and no one could tell you it was illegal receiver 10 min ago. :p

Ridiculous. So say I want to get a FTA receiver so that I can get HD NASA programming (or anything else exciting up there that's completely legal). And then Dish tries to sue me saying I'm stealing their stuff? Pathetic. That's what they're reducing themselves to. Pathetic.

And I'm laughing at the guy that took pictures of the FTA dish. Wouldn't one use an E* dish to see the E* sats? The big dish should be an indication that it's legal.

Go for it EFF

Hope this is the 1st volley from EFF on this stuff. They need to do it a step at a time. What I'm referring to is the whole DRM crap that is behind it. As previously mentioned MPAA, & RIAA went after the little guys to bully them. Some of it they have gotten away with some of it they haven't. Actually this started way back in the C-band days w/ the chipping. Back then the bully boys were the FBI keeping tabs on all C-Band dealers ; legit or not. They would probably knock on my door because I use a larger than normal dish on 129.

*** RANT MODE ON ***

not to mention how our tax money is going to waste over these stupid lawsuits!

:):(:confused::eek::D:cool::eek::up:eureka:music::hatsoff:
Maybe nutso fusta gotta to listen to our ruller or we gonna getua e picha ea understand

Es Scott watch whata you say or big tuna will be madda

(the above is sponsered by Dish Mofia):hungry:

Iceberg, we did discuss the idea a while ago - re-flashing the Cool/Pan/etc sats is matter of 5 minutes and no one could tell you it was illegal receiver 10 min ago. :p

oh there are ways. Getting numerous boxes off Ebay with (as the auction says) "the most recent factory firmware" only to turn the box on and see the 1st 4 sats all Dish or Bell and all channels logged in as Dish...in numerical order

oh, and flashing it back to "legal" status doesnt remove the channels or settings ;)