EHD disappears on hopper

WD Elements 2T drive. When it happens, I unplug the drive. The hopper displays a message that a USB device was disconnected and the name is "". When I plug it back in the name is "External Device 1"

I have two WD EHDs attached to the Hopper in the living room. External Device 1 is 750 Gb and External Device 2 is 1 Tb. The ED2 disappears frequently and power cycling it usually fixes the problem. It is just annoying and I hope Dish will fix the problem with a software upgrade. I used both of these on my 722k with no problem ever. I have a WD 500 Gb EHD attached to the Hopper in bedroom and it never disappears.

It's been five or six days since I lost mine. Hoping it's been fixed.

I was sooo hoping that switching to a more stable Hopper/Joey system from my problematic 922 would make this problem go away but guess what.

From day one with the 922 my two WD EHD's(2tb Element & 1tb Essential) would come and go. I have the same situation with the Hopper. When I turn on the system in the morning I never know if I'll have access to the EHD's or not. Unplugging the USB cable from the back of the Hopper causes a re-boot but that does not always bring them back.

I have been following this issue for almost two years. The consensus has been that the sleep timer mode may be the culprit but I have not read a post from anyone that had the problem, turned off sleep mode and then the problem went away. Has anyone experienced this?? Unfortunately the two drives that I have both have the sleep mode(like all WD drives) but they do not have the built in WD Smartware that offers several user options including disabling sleep mode.

As a side note I have discovered that the Hopper does not like having more than four usb devices plugged in at the same time. Even though the Hopper is supposed to accomadate up to four EHD's with a powered hub since I already had the OTA adapter and WIFI dongle using two of the usb's the hopper would not show a 3rd EHD plugged in to the hub.

As a side note I have discovered that the Hopper does not like having more than four usb devices plugged in at the same time. Even though the Hopper is supposed to accomadate up to four EHD's with a powered hub since I already had the OTA adapter and WIFI dongle using two of the usb's the hopper would not show a 3rd EHD plugged in to the hub.
I believe Hopper will see no more than two EHDs at a time.

I've read that it supports up to four like the 922 but I guess that I don't know for sure. Dish only supports one so you're on your own after that anyway.

Once a WD has been formatted for Dish, is there a way to turn off the sleep mode?

I would really like to know the answer to this question also. My guess is that IF the drive you have came with WD Smartware built in you should be able to load that on your computer when you plug it in. You would then have the option to turn off sleep mode.

This is all guess work though because I don't have a drive I can try it on.

My hopper has had trouble with the external drive since I first got the hopper, a year ago. Sense this last update it loses the external drives all the time I have to reset the hopper or unplug the external drives daily and if you call DISH all they say is that it may be fixed in an update. My 722k never had this type of problem but the hopper has been trouble since the start this is just the latest also ABC recording after prime time is over when it's not set

My Seagate never drops out. It sounds like this issue usually happens with WD, maybe others but WD is the trend I see.

Funny you say that, in the past it's been Seagate mostly. That being said, none of my WD/Samsung/Seagate drives seem to have this issue.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Mine had not gone away for a nearly a week. But this morning, it did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)