EHD issue

TomT127

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Sugar Land, TX
I've had the problem in the past of my EHD not showing up in my menu. I know this is an issue with the HWS. Usually I can restart both and it comes up, but despite doing this reset several times nothing appears to work. I don't think there is anything wrong with my EHD. Seems to be a software issue that started a few months ago. Any ideas before I call tech support and they have me do everything I have previously done?

I've had the problem in the past of my EHD not showing up in my menu. I know this is an issue with the HWS. Usually I can restart both and it comes up, but despite doing this reset several times nothing appears to work. I don't think there is anything wrong with my EHD. Seems to be a software issue that started a few months ago. Any ideas before I call tech support and they have me do everything I have previously done?
This issue has been going on for a good year now for my Hopper 3s. It is known as the EHD does not wake up in the morning. Something to do with the over nite Hopper update. EHD goes missing till a reset is done. Sometimes a red button and remote control reset doesn't work. I have to do a pull the plug reset.

Our Engineering Team are looking at an issue where the External Hard Drives aren't being recognized. Can you tell me a bit about your external hard drive? Does it have a USB 2.0- compatible cable? It is a single hard disk drive, and has it's own power supply?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Our Engineering Team are looking at an issue where the External Hard Drives aren't being recognized. Can you tell me a bit about your external hard drive? Does it have a USB 2.0- compatible cable? It is a single hard disk drive, and has it's own power supply?
It's a WD Elements 1 TB USB 2.0 (WDBAAU0010hBK with it's own power supply that I've been using for almost 8 years without an issue. Yes I know it's old but I only access it probably 6-10 times a year.
This issue has been going on for a good year now for my Hopper 3s. It is known as the EHD does not wake up in the morning. Something to do with the over nite Hopper update. EHD goes missing till a reset is done. Sometimes a red button and remote control reset doesn't work. I have to do a pull the plug reset.
I have pulled the plug. Still nothing.

Last edited:
Thanks for that information! Have you tried unplugging the EHD from the USB port on the Hopper, and from the electrical outlet. Then, unplug all your DISH receivers. Once you have them all unplugged, plug the Hopper back in first. Let if fully start up. If you have a Super Joey, plug it back in next, if not, plug back in any Joey's you have and let them all start back up. Then, plug the EHD back in.

This is considered a Whole Home Reset, which has been reported to fix the issue with some of our members.

Thanks for that information! Have you tried unplugging the EHD from the USB port on the Hopper, and from the electrical outlet. Then, unplug all your DISH receivers. Once you have them all unplugged, plug the Hopper back in first. Let if fully start up. If you have a Super Joey, plug it back in next, if not, plug back in any Joey's you have and let them all start back up. Then, plug the EHD back in.

This is considered a Whole Home Reset, which has been reported to fix the issue with some of our members.

This does not FIX the issue. It is a work around.

That did absolutely nothing.
( I have one HWS, no Joey's)

Last edited:
Oh well. The only reason I have kept Dish is because I have a lot of memorable recordings on my EHD. Since I cannot access it any longer I am free to look at alternatives.

Bumping this up because I'm hoping to get a response from Dish Support or someone else in the know without having to be on the phone forever.
I was on the phone yesterday with Dish tech. They tried to tell me my EHD was just bad. Today I plugged it into my computer. The EHD is recognized under Disk Management. Of course nothing comes up in Windows Explorer because it's not formatted for Windows. The fact that it does show up as a drive though tells me it's working, right?

You could also have a bad USB port. I had to have the Hopper replaced. Try it on the other ports. Do you have an OTA adapter? Try it in the same ports to see if it is recognized.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: allargon
You could also have a bad USB port. I had to have the Hopper replaced. Try it on the other ports. Do you have an OTA adapter? Try it in the same ports to see if it is recognized.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I've tried it in 3 different ports, including the front port which I have never even used before, so I don't think that's it. A moment ago I attached a WD EHD backup from my computer to the front port and it did recognize it and asked to format the device, which I cancelled because it has my computer backups. But at least I know the USB port works. Strange though that it reads that but not the original EHD. Now I'm even more confused.

Now I'm even more confused.

I would speculate that the disk is healthy, but the file system (Linux ext3) has been corrupted. Since there are some number of 500GB partitions depending upon the size of the disk, it may be possible to recover the programs on the remaining good filesystems. If I were you, I'd pop a Linux live DVD into your computer and boot that up, put your EHD on it, and see if you can do some repairs such as an fsck.

I would speculate that the disk is healthy, but the file system (Linux ext3) has been corrupted. Since there are some number of 500GB partitions depending upon the size of the disk, it may be possible to recover the programs on the remaining good filesystems. If I were you, I'd pop a Linux live DVD into your computer and boot that up, put your EHD on it, and see if you can do some repairs such as an fsck.
It's a 1 GB disk. I've never done that but I will give it a try.

It's a 1 GB disk. I've never done that but I will give it a try.

I had a 1.5TB disk and it had one (also ext3) small partition that held stuff I didn't recognize (encryption keys? account info? index?) but no actual programs. The rest of the partitions were 3 approximately 500GB partitions and the last one went bad. But I had nothing on it at the time, so I didn't lose anything after moving the contents of the 1st 3 partitions onto a new disk. :D WD replaced it for free since it failed under warranty.

I think that I figured this out. When the Hopper 3 resets, it spins the drives up and then checks them. The Hopper is too fast. It checks the drives before they have time to fully spin up and they are not recognized. I tried going over this with Dish on the computer. Unfortunately there was a problem and it was mine. Dish wanted me to reset the Hopper but I could not do this since my wife's Soap Opera was about to record. If I reset the Hopper then, I would wind up in deep trouble. I will try to contact them again when nobody's watching TV and nothings due to record. All I think they have to do is put a 10 or 15 second pause in the Startup software.
The way I have to get my Hopper to recognize my EHDs is to reset the Hopper when nobody is using it or recording anything. Then I reset it again before the EHDs can spin down. That usually works.

Bumping this up because I'm hoping to get a response from Dish Support or someone else in the know without having to be on the phone forever.
I was on the phone yesterday with Dish tech. They tried to tell me my EHD was just bad. Today I plugged it into my computer. The EHD is recognized under Disk Management. Of course nothing comes up in Windows Explorer because it's not formatted for Windows. The fact that it does show up as a drive though tells me it's working, right?

Most assuredly wrong.

I had an issue with a bad partition that rendered the drive useless - even though other partitions were accessible.

Western digital replaced the drive under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts