EHD Larger Than 2TB

toricred

SatelliteGuys Guru
Feb 6, 2004
New Mexico
I'm moving from D* to Dish tomorrow. I have an external 3TB drive I've been using on my Genie. Is there any way I can use it with the Hopper? Maybe if I partition it into two separate partitions that are both less than 2TB?

It will probably work just fine the way it is. You will lose anything that is on that EHD because the Hopper is going to format it....

Can you use all 3TB or are you only able to use 2TB with the rest inaccessible?
What is the comparative response time?
I've noticed as you get above say half of a 2TB drive that listing or loading it gets slower.
Lots of files, not enough buffer/memory, perhaps?
-Ken

Is there an ETA on when 4 TB drives will be supported? Hopefully in the near future. Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I'm surprised you asked that. Who knows if Dish has ANY plans to support larger disks.

My guess is Jupiter 40th.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Can you use all 3TB or are you only able to use 2TB with the rest inaccessible? What is the comparative response time? I've noticed as you get above say half of a 2TB drive that listing or loading it gets slower. Lots of files, not enough buffer/memory, perhaps? -Ken
All 3TB are accessible. I posted in a similar thread a year ago with a screen capture of my transfer screen demonstrating that the entire EHD was recognized. (This is with a Hopper/Hopper with Sling, I can't speak for the older receivers).

Larger HDDs slow things down and you lose a great deal more WHEN they fail.

Seems to me that it really depend on the failure rate for each disk model--very hard to find.

A large disk will lose more in a failure but twice as many disks will likely have twice the failure rate for some part.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts