EHD - Not "Out of the Box" Ready - Who Dropped the Ball?

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
I am extremely frustrated. After a delay in shipping, I finally got the WD My Book 1TB EHD directly from the WD Online Store - via the link in the EHD section of DISH's website. I have discovered that only one end of the provided cable works - the end that goes into the EHD. The other end is not a standard USB which inserts in the back of my VIP 211k. This cable has the same connector on both ends, only one of which fits inside the EHD. So, is it supposed to be common knowledge that the correct cable does NOT come with this (or maybe other) EHDs? Did the manufacturer drop the ball on this or did DISH? Is the correct cable available at Staples or other office supply/electronics store?

Eric

I have never heard of one that was not a standared USB on one side. This is the cable that normally comes with it;

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...T&cid=262075&lid=4742361&acd=1230980794501410

And it would seem obvious to me, if the wrong cable came, and you ordered directly from WD, where right on their site it says it is for DISH, it isn't the fault of DISH. I know people try to find ways to blame DISH, but this would be above and beyond finding a way.

That cable is extemely common and yes, should be available at a Staples or Best Buy, etc... Would be great if you posted a pic of the end that is not correct.

Okay...WD has determined the problem. WD shipped the wrong EHD. Never having dealt with this before, I was completely ignorant on everything technical about this, except I know what a standard USB looks like. The tech support stated that several of these EHDs look the same, and the warehouse simply shipped the wrong one. The back of the EHD had plastic cover just above the power supply connector where the correct mini-USB connector should be. The tech support had me read off the P/N number on the back of the EHD and once I got 5th or 6th digit he stopped me and indicated it was the wrong unit. Anyway, a return has been arranged and he gave me a 25% discount code to use on the purchase of the correct one.

Frustrated, but a happy ending because I realized I was not losing my mind.

Eric

I just bought the exact same thing on Ebay. The pictures clearly show that one end of the cable is supposed to be the standard USB to insert into your Dish Receiver. I would call WD support and ask them to send you the correct cable.

This EHD came with a different-looking USB cable - in fact, it may not specifically be a USB. It has a wider blade - thus it will not insert into the back of the DISH receiver. The back of the EHD has "eSATA" stamped above its connection.

Yeah, the Hopper has an eSATA port but it's not active and I wouldn't hold my breath on it ever being active.

I knew it! Same cable at each end (to me) means eSATA. They sent you their eSATA version instead of USB3 version.

Yeah, the Hopper has an eSATA port but it's not active and I wouldn't hold my breath on it ever being active.
Now you wanna talk about dropping the ball...they should have gotten eSATA to work from the get-go...eSATA is awesome. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)