EHD question

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I currently have 1 Wally with a 2TB EHD. Are EHD’s married to their receiver? Thinking about getting a 2nd Wally and copying the contents of the existing EHD to another additional EHD and use it on the 2nd Wally. Is this possible?

The wally/211 drive contains both the OS for recording and the programming recorded.

IIRC there is a folder on the drive that contains all the recordings, but off the top of my head right now I can't remember the name if the folder and honestly I don't remember if this pertains to the wally/211 or the VIP DVRs (two very different and incompatible animals).

I would format the drive and get it set up then copy the programs form the other drive to it.

The Wally/211 system is more complicated because both data and OS are on the drive.

Best of luck

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I seem to remember a thread somewhere about how to mirror EHD’s but for the life of me I can’t find it

At the end of the day, I’d like to have the content on both drives. I know there’s a way to do this on a Hopper but not sure about the Wally.

My PC’s have never recognized Dish EHD’s once they’ve been formatted by the receiver, IIRC

If you ran Linux as you mentioned above, they would. :D

I know for a fact that the EHDs for the DVRs partition the disk in some number of ext3 file systems. I do not know what the 211's do, but I thought I read somewhere on this forum that they were formatted ext3 as well.