EHD Questions

Mr!Phil

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
Hi. I've been told that an external hard drive has to be formatted for Dish. And, on top of that, the formatting is specific to receivers. So, when my customer upgraded from a 622 to Hopper he lost bunches of DVR's. Dude was annoyed to say the least.

Is there any workaround at all? Third party conversion software? Praying to the idols of Bill and Steve? An emulator maybe?

The EHD's from the 622 should not have been formatted by the Hopper. They are supposed to be interchangeable. The exception to that is an EHD used with a 211/211K to make them into DVRs'.

My apologies. The Hopper didn't format the EHD. It recognized it as a drive but showed no content even though the guy had about a zillion hours on it. Called DASH to talk to an expert and I was told that each receiver model had its' own proprietary format. I was thinking that it really sucked to be the customer. And, it added another item in my personal "don't upgrade to the hopper just yet" list.

My apologies. The Hopper didn't format the EHD. It recognized it as a drive but showed no content even though the guy had about a zillion hours on it. Called DASH to talk to an expert and I was told that each receiver model had its' own proprietary format. I was thinking that it really sucked to be the customer. And, it added another item in my personal "don't upgrade to the hopper just yet" list.

That is not correct. CS needs to send a 'hit' to the Hopper to get it to recognize the drive.

That is not correct. CS needs to send a 'hit' to the Hopper to get it to recognize the drive.

That's good to know. Is the CS hit any different than the one I can send from my tablet? If not, I will just incorporate it into my installation routine.

A hit is a hit if you have the ability to send one. This will sometimes work (most of the time, not) but there is a known issue with some Hoppers not recognizing the EHD from a 622 family receiver. The last software updates was suppose to correct this issue but I have some customers still saying they are getting error 866.

The Hopper may not recognize some external hard drive devices when connected.Some external hard drives will still work. If the one being used is not recognized, this will be corrected in the next software release.

I have my EHD that I originally used on a 722, a 922, and now my Hopper. The engineers are still working on this issue. Thanks.

That's good to know. Is the CS hit any different than the one I can send from my tablet? If not, I will just incorporate it into my installation routine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)