EHD trouble and a reboot proposal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
External Hard Drive or the world of hurt. I have a lot of EHDs from 750GB to 2TB with up to 1000 shows each.
I have little problem transferring one or multiple shows to the internal drive (IHD).
These same shows often give problems when being move to another EHD.
Even moving them one at a time results in this message.

“An error occurred while transferring events to your “External Device 1”.

I have moved 100’s of shows with minimal problems before S328 thru S335.
Now I will get an error, usually near the end of the transfer, i.e., in the last 6 seconds.
Any further attempts result in the above message as soon as it has finished
“Calculating Estimated Time Remaining…”.
It never gets out of this state unless you reboot, which kills all recordings in progress, transfers, and viewing.

As it seems they cannot get this fixed,
I propose Dish engineers give us a way to reset the EHD path without a full reboot !!!

(For that matter why must the Hopper reboot when it initializes a new drive???)

It used to mostly come back up after reboot with the EHD attached. Now it is off-line.

-Ken

The last update was supposed to fix most of this kind of problem.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The last update was supposed to fix most of this kind of problem.

I've never had the "last 6 second hang" problem BUT I am having the issue where I transfer recordings from EHD #1 to Hopper but when I try to transfer them to EHD#2 from my Hopper I get the "An error has occurred" A reboot of the Hopper fixes this problem until I use EHD #1 to transfer more recordings to my Hopper.

It's a strange problem I might bust out my camera and do the best that I can to demonstrate. I have a Hopper 2k on S424.

External Hard Drive or the world of hurt. I have a lot of EHDs from 750GB to 2TB with up to 1000 shows each.
I have little problem transferring one or multiple shows to the internal drive (IHD).
These same shows often give problems when being move to another EHD.
Even moving them one at a time results in this message.

“An error occurred while transferring events to your “External Device 1”.

I have moved 100’s of shows with minimal problems before S328 thru S335.
Now I will get an error, usually near the end of the transfer, i.e., in the last 6 seconds.
Any further attempts result in the above message as soon as it has finished
“Calculating Estimated Time Remaining…”.
It never gets out of this state unless you reboot, which kills all recordings in progress, transfers, and viewing.

As it seems they cannot get this fixed,
I propose Dish engineers give us a way to reset the EHD path without a full reboot !!!

(For that matter why must the Hopper reboot when it initializes a new drive???)

It used to mostly come back up after reboot with the EHD attached. Now it is off-line.

-Ken

I posted earlier this week about Hopper Frustration/Known Issues....more and more problems are cropping up and now DIRT Team is asking for a survey of members with some of the problems.....they keep avoiding the EHD issues...what a shame!

I have had an assortment of problems with EHD since July of 2012.
I finally got so frustrated with the transfer process from my old H2Ks that I gave up and sent them back.
Now as my new HWS is filling up I am about to jump in again and discover that "everything has been fixed" in spite of what Ken says.

New reality show on a pay TV channel that shows commercials:

Hoarding TV Shows on HardDrives buried Alive.

First episode featuring avid Dish user KKlare:
"How one can have more hours of recorded programs than the hours one has left to live."

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Sad isn't it.

Equally sad is spending the time left trying to move shows from one EHD to another with Dish not helping.

-Ken

New reality show on a pay TV channel that shows commercials: Hoarding TV Shows on HardDrives buried Alive. First episode featuring avid Dish user KKlare: "How one can have more hours of recorded programs than the hours one has left to live." Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Fingers crossed. I have a long run on the 3rd leg of transfers with too little space left.
That's IHD > EHD, EHD > IHD, IHD > EHD. Perhaps using only one and well getting some new recordings is working.
A long run is 5 to 10 movies for this purpose or 10 to 20 GB or 20 to 40 minutes--actually more time, hours it seems.
The best run I've seen in days. If I knew it was going to be this good, I would have slept.
-Ken

Updated: jinxed, I spoke too soon. Hopper faulted out on Boyz N the Hood with a tile for Blazing Saddles!
-K

Last edited:
I have one EHD on each HWS (two total) and occasionally want to archive an opera or concert or special program and have never had a failure to move it from the internal drive to the external drive. Am I doing something wrong. Why does mine always work.
Maybe I should start moving the shows from one drive to another and back and forth and up and down till I get something to fail, then I can join the discussion and frustration here in this thread.
I'll probably archive the last Leno Tonight show for postarity. (sp) I have a bunch of those 'last' shows on the shelf recorded on my VHS tapes. Hmm, maybe I should send them to Ken.
I have an ex friend, I say ex as he is now deceased who had the walls in one room in his house lined with just about every music CD ever made.
I wonder what his widow did with all of them.
Shucks, I suppose I'm rambling as I have nothing better to do now that it is raining out, can't pull weeds, and my EHDs are working fine.

Brian

PS. My VHS tapes aren't tied to a specific machine or account so I'm will to mail them to anyone who would like them and will pay the postage.

I'd like it if the receivers had the option to reboot the receiver from the remote. That's the only thing I miss about U-verse is that their STBs could be rebooted from the remote.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Aw gee, ya gotta walk from your chair to the receiver, open the door, and push the red button.... :)

With the numerous bugs it can become quite a regular event. You could say the same thing about changing the channel, adjusting the volume, turning on/off... Hell why use a remote? :)

With the numerous bugs it can become quite a regular event. You could say the same thing about changing the channel, adjusting the volume, turning on/off... Hell why use a remote? :)

I remember clearly when I WAS the remote.
i also remember holding the big vacuum tube on the TVs transformer so it made contact and allowed us to watch TV.
i was also the TV repairman who took all the tubes down to the drug store and tested them so I could buy the replacements for those that had failed. Now I can't even see the equivalent of those tubes, they have become so small and hidden.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)