EHD with Wally Failure?

You can confirm that by powering up the Wally with the satellite disconnected.

This is my plan over the next few days.

I am also wondering if there is a particular sequence I need to do when turning everything back on. When I get ready to travel I turn off the Wally and then turn off the EHD and unplug the EHD. When I start back up again I turn on the Wally and once it boots up I turn on the EHD. The Wally wil have a popup that says a hard drive has been connected and the Wally has to restart. If I have a satellite signal everything works, but if there is no satellite signal it does not.

When it does not work my shows are show in the DVR guide, but I cannot play any of them. It either continues to search or it pops up saying no recording available.

Not sure about the Wally, but when I had a 211 with EHD, I first turned off the 211 then disconnected (turned off) the EHD. Start up was power up and connect the EHD then power up the 211.

Using this procedure the 211 never knew the EHD was disconnected and performed satisfactorily.

I did have problems when I either disconnected or turned off the EHD with the 211 powered, or turned the 211 on before reconnecting the powered EHD.

I presume it was because the EHD has the OS on it and must be available as the 211 was powered down and before it was powered up.

Several times not doing it like this corrupted the drive and lost everything.

This is all said with the caveat the I had a 211 and you have a Wally.

Reactions: TheKrell
A few minutes ago I disconnected my satellite feed (via A/B switch), turned the Wally and EHD off. After a short period to give the Wally time to shut down I turned on the EHD and then the Wally. When the Wally started up it then popped up with the no-signal error and this error says I can use the DVR. But when I try it pops up that there is no hard drive connected. Somewhere the connection between the EHD and Wally is not being made when there is no satellite signal. Once I reconnected the satellite feed the EHD started to work again

I will try the sequence Jim5506 uses the next time I play around with it.

Not sure about the Wally, but when I had a 211 with EHD, I first turned off the 211 then disconnected (turned off) the EHD. Start up was power up and connect the EHD then power up the 211.

Using this procedure the 211 never knew the EHD was disconnected and performed satisfactorily.

I did have problems when I either disconnected or turned off the EHD with the 211 powered, or turned the 211 on before reconnecting the powered EHD.

I presume it was because the EHD has the OS on it and must be available as the 211 was powered down and before it was powered up.

Several times not doing it like this corrupted the drive and lost everything.

This is all said with the caveat the I had a 211 and you have a Wally.

Do you power off your receiver by the remote or do you actually turning off the power button on the receiver itself? On my Wally I hit the power off on the remote which shuts down the receiver in 5 minutes. I then hit the power button on the receiver itself which make the power light go out.

After shutting down and restarting my Wally and EHD is the sequence that Jim5506 posted everything has worked. I tested this over several days. I turned off the Wally and once it was off I turned off the EHD. I used my A/B switch to disconnect the signal. When I started everything back up I first turned on the EHD and gave it time to fully be on before I then turned on the Wally Doing it this way I never did got the error message about the EHD.

I do plan on getting a better EHD. Right now I am using an old hard drive from an old desktop PC with an enclosure. I just need to find one with it's own power supply.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts