Either I'm crazy or technicians aren't smart

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

andrewg1995

Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Morgantown, WV
So I had two technicians come out to install my service yesterday and today. I'm in an apartment so the dish would be installed on the balcony, and both said "oh you're not going to get signal, your balcony wall is blocking the satellite path" My understanding (and every dish pointing website available, including DirecTV's dish pointer) is that the satellites are around 211ºSW with a 39º elevation. Techs were checking around 250ºW for the satellites. Asked the tech today why/where he's looking for the sats, he said "oh I'm right" went and grabbed a compass from the truck and still pointed at 250ºW and said "yup you can't get service" I attached a screenshot of one of the many sat finder apps I used to try and show the tech he was wrong, and you can clearly see all three sats with a relatively clear path. Any ideas what's going on?
CzCrk-sWgAEkO-u.jpg

:welcome to Satelliteguys andrewg1995!
Sounds like he didn't want to do the install.

Reactions: Tecnicoloco
if your balcony is wood, they can use an S-tube mount easily. that would put the dish further out and lower then where you're standing now. alternatively, a rail mount may work too. but most rail mounts that i've seen end up out of alignment pretty quick because nobody actually knows how to secure them properly. pole mount works too but those should be secured using concrete and some landlords wont allow that.

if your balcony is wood, they can use an S-tube mount easily. that would put the dish further out and lower then where you're standing now. alternatively, a rail mount may work too. but most rail mounts that i've seen end up out of alignment pretty quick because nobody actually knows how to secure them properly. pole mount works too but those should be secured using concrete and some landlords wont allow that.

They likely don't have anything beyond a standard mount in their truck.

The sat finder apps are not always accurate.

But likely the tech did not want to do the install.

Find a local dealer

The trained monkeys Directv and Dish sends out are lazy and don't like doing apartments.
That's a pretty broad brush your using to describe All te hs, don't you think.
I know some that are very good as well as some that look at it as Just a job.

I suspect mounting has more to do with the reluctance to install than anything else. Since we can't see your balcony, is it possible that it would require a non-penetrating mount with concurrent concrete blocks for weighting to properly install?

Reactions: Troch77
That's a pretty broad brush your using to describe All te hs, don't you think.
I know some that are very good as well as some that look at it as Just a job.

I setup fulfillment jobs in apartments all the time, and they just don't get installed.

Also I do a lot of jobs in apartments that Dish or Directv blows off

Fulfillment contractors or employees do not like doing apartments. It's a known fact in this industry.

Reactions: WiCkeDuDe
I suspect mounting has more to do with the reluctance to install than anything else. Since we can't see your balcony, is it possible that it would require a non-penetrating mount with concurrent concrete blocks for weighting to properly install?
Balcony is plastic so they wouldn't be able to mount on the balcony since it would need a non penetrating mount, but I have a nice weighted down table that would be a great place to mount the dish if they actually would do their job.

Balcony is plastic so they wouldn't be able to mount on the balcony since it would need a non penetrating mount, but I have a nice weighted down table that would be a great place to mount the dish if they actually would do their job.
Okay, so now out comes the truth...

Its not the LOS thats a problem, its you expect them to do a job by mounting a dish to a table??
And they are supposed to guarantee their work, and answer to their boss?

Sorry I would have said you have no Los as well, just to avoid telling you how I really felt.

Okay, so now out comes the truth...

Its not the LOS thats a problem, its you expect them to do a job by mounting a dish to a table??
And they are supposed to guarantee their work, and answer to their boss?

Sorry I would have said you have no Los as well, just to avoid telling you how I really felt.
That's not the issue, I don't expect them to mount the table and that idea was never brought up to the techs (just me thinking of alternate ways to put the dish out without buying cement, a bucket and a pole)

My problem that they're not doing their job when there's a dish two blocks down the road that's pointed where it should be and they're saying that that's not the correct place to point the dish.

He could still get D* service is he wanted it ... this is where, like mentioned, Non penetrable mounts work, or a bucket of concrete with a pole in it.
That said, it would be something that he would have to do as D* employees would not do this kind of set up.

The location is Morgantown WV, check the TSs avatar.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts