elder scrolls 4 for 45 bucks at compusa

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
for those interested, you can pick up the regular version for 45 at compusa until saturday. i checked the web and it is not available to order from them. if you have a store near you, you should be able to pick it up. you can also print out the page and take it to best buy or somewhere else that does price matches.

also. gamestop is giving you a free game if you trade in two 360 games. i traded in pgr3 and call of duty and got the collectors edition for free.

This game is great, but, expect some issues with either version (xbox or PC).

PC users, your best bet is to wait until Bethesda releases it's first patch, this game is ultra harsh on systems, and full of bugs, if you've already gotten it, and have issues with performace, AND, you are sure your system meets the requirments for Oblivion, don't run out and buy anything (hardware-wise) until a patch is out, even users of highest end cards have reported getting 1-5FPS in intense areas of the game (even with tweaks) (it's not a rendering problem in this case, it is just buggy).

XBox users, if you get it, it also has many issues, there is at least one addon download for XBox called Horse Armor, most people after paying and installing this mod have had problems even starting the game.

And those are just the tip of the iceberg.

There was little to no beta testing done, it has, (by virtue of his high sys requirements) exposed weak things in systems, I have read about vid cards frying, harddrives crashing, it also has LOTS of issues (on PC) with sound cards that are intergrated. If you have any issues with this game, there are some fixes for XBox and PC versions over here:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showforum=23

The forum moves VERY fast though, indicative of the amount of issues.

If you post a question here in this thread wrt Oblivion, I am thoroughly familiar with the issues and associated fixes, and would be happy to help anyone here.

This post is not meant to bash Beth, as this game is VERY complex, this game is worth the issues.

BTW, the only issue I had was my sound card, disabling Sound Accel solved my issues.

Whatever you do though, don't let it stop you from getting this game!

There is also a Oblivion tweak guide found here:
http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

And tweak guides for nVidia:
http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html
and ATI:
http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

All of which help immensly with performance in Oblivion.

Last edited:
korsjs said:
have not downloaded the horse armor stuff. don't plan on it.

I don't blame you, not just for the fact it may make things unstable, but, from what I gather, that armour was shown in their demo before release, and was supposed to come already in the game, at the last moment, it was abandoned due to some issues (they claim), then released to XBox users, for a price, most report they were not even able to install it during the verification process, and the weirdest thing is, you can't have combat on the horses anyways.

the reason i have not downloaded it is because i have yet to ride a horse. i am glad you said something about it. now i will not until people report it being stable.

I also read that after playing on the XBox for a longer period of time, the loading gets REAL slow, the fix was to use a memory card to put your save games on, reformat the XBox, then moving the save games back to the harddive, this in essence defrags the data.

damaged said:
You're one of the lucky ones :)

Which version XB or PC?

If PC, what are your systems specs?

Did you have to tweak anything?

Using HDR or not?

TIA

PC version

Custom Built

AMD 64 3500
1 gig Pc3200 DDR
Biostar Nforce 4 mobo
Radeon 850XT
120 gig WD sata
Lite-on 16XDL DVDrw
24" Trinitron CRT/ 19" Dell LCD
Logitech MX618 mouse
Logitech Keyboard.
Windows XP Sp2.

No tweak yet. I remember all the issues whem Morrowind launched so I was expected some problems but none yet.

damaged said:
You're one of the lucky ones :)

Which version XB or PC?

If PC, what are your systems specs?

Did you have to tweak anything?

Using HDR or not?

TIA

I orderd 2gig of DDR maybe then I will enable HDR.

Well if you wanted the 2 gigs for other reasons, cool deal, but, wrt Oblivion, it won't help, as it never uses more than 600-800 megs MAX (asssuming everything else is closed while playing), if that is the case, you are unlikely to see any performance increase (esp. wrt HDR, HDR is all about shader perf., not RAM) in Oblivion with 2 gig any more than you get with just having 1 gig. WRT buying new hardware _just_ for Oblivion, I would wait for a patch.

Last edited:
damaged said:
Well if you wanted the 2 gigs for other reasons, cool deal, but, wrt Oblivion, it won't help, as it never uses more than 600-800 megs MAX (asssuming everything else is closed while playing), if that is the case, you are unlikely to see any performance increase (esp. wrt HDR, HDR is all about shader perf., not RAM) in Oblivion with 2 gig any more than you get with just having 1 gig. WRT buying new hardware _just_ for Oblivion, I would wait for a patch.

Nope my 2 gigs are for something else, I am runing F@H and the big wu option consumes ram.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts