Electrical Lines - How big of an issue?

JKeats

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 6, 2005
I recently purchased a home that is currently under construction. The coax was run... but it terminated at the front of the house. It's a 3 story townhome and the direction my dishes need to point is toward the back of the house. I, therefore, got permission to run a couple lines of coax from the back of the house to the front before the drywall is put up, so that I can connect my satTV to the lines running to all 3 floors of the house. I also wanted to run a 2nd TV connection (outlet) on the 3rd floor so I did that as well.

While I avoided close encounters with any electrical lines as much as possible, there is a point or two where I intersect an electrical line... that's not to say that I run along said line for any distance... but more like an electrical line running horizontal through two studs and my coax makes a vertical pass on it's way down from one floor to the other (think a + sign where the horizontal would be the electrical line and the vertical would be the coax).

I'm using direct burial RG6, but it's NOT quad shield.

I don't make these close encounters with the electrical but maybe twice with my runs... but am concerned now that I may have some issues with interference.

Any suggestions?

actually the good news is that when you have to intersect power lines. you do it with a Plus... err perpendicular.... i doubt youll have too many problems.

keen. thanks for the input! i feel much better now. hehehe. well... sort of better, my back is still killing me from all the bending and arching and what not i had to do to run my lines!!! LOL

Dish Dude said:
why are you using direct burial cable inside?

my guess would be to keep from breaking the cable while he went through 2 bys... or he had it laying around...

i am curious though.... why use DB cable... its way expensive to be used indoors

not only is it too expensive if it is flooded that stuff can bleed and that is a complete nightmare. Went to a TC at a brand new house in a small town, electrician must have got a heck of a deal and used underground, it bled all over in her laundry room, onto her washer and dryer and all over the floor back at their board. She said I want you to fix this, I said in as kind of voice as i could, maam call your electrician I did not install those cables. Long story short hope yours don't bleed or you will have a heck of a sticky mess

Dish Dude said:
not only is it too expensive if it is flooded that stuff can bleed and that is a complete nightmare. Went to a TC at a brand new house in a small town, electrician must have got a heck of a deal and used underground, it bled all over in her laundry room, onto her washer and dryer and all over the floor back at their board. She said I want you to fix this, I said in as kind of voice as i could, maam call your electrician I did not install those cables. Long story short hope yours don't bleed or you will have a heck of a sticky mess

never seen it bleed but i could imagine how nasty that would be... especially the stuff where the goo (for lack of better term) is dyed orange as well.

i used direct burial because it was the same price at lowes as the stuff NOT labeled direct burial. LOL.

although it says direct burial on the cable itself... to be honest i'm not sure what REAL direct burial looks like so this very well could not be direct burial. i saw no "goo" in the cable. looked just like the standard outer pvc sheeth, mesh&foil, iner white plastic sheilding, and copper core.

would direct burial cable have an obvious "goo" that i'd see at an exposed end?

i paid .19 a foot for the stuff. it was the same price as the cable not marked direct burial and the description for both were exactly the same. i just assumed that IF it was indeed direct burrial that just meant it had better insulation than regular. i wasn't thinking about any type of "goo".

generally speaking DB cable has a gel in it (when compression sealed it cant really leak) that prevents blunt things from damaging the inside. as for what you got... ive never seen DB cable without some sort of protective layer

well if you have ever played with the cable with the so called "goo" inside imagine if that was all over your floor, wall, etc. I felt bad for the lady, but what can i do. Completely finished $200k house, nothing I could. Yes it does when you score the cable for a fitting you can feel it on your hands as well as see it. If your stuff is real sticky watch yourself

ya i'm quite certain this ISN'T truely direct burial then. there was no goo at all anywhere. interesting though since the manufacturer stamped the line (blue writing on the black outer sheething) with, amongst other things, "direct burial".

better though that it's not really direct burial i guess. i wouldn't want anything oozing out over my new house! lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts