Electronics Retailer, Ultimate Electronics Files For Bankruptcy

Steve Mehs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Marilla, NY
Ultimate Electronics Files for Chapter 11 Protection - Bloomberg

At the end of January, Ultimate Electronics filed for bankruptcy protection. The store at the Carousel Center in Syracuse, which was open for 7 months is set to start liquidation on Feb 12. It's rumored that the location here in Buffalo could start liquidation any day now. The store here opened on November 4th, If UE is in your area, keep your eyes peeled for some deals.

I missed that this took place. We have several of them here in Minnesota. They use to be called Audio King before being acquired. Sadly about the only electronics stores in Minnesota left are Best Buy.

Ultimate Electronics Files for Chapter 11 Protection - Bloomberg

At the end of January, Ultimate Electronics filed for bankruptcy protection. The store at the Carousel Center in Syracuse, which was open for 7 months is set to start liquidation on Feb 12. It's rumored that the location here in Buffalo could start liquidation any day now. The store here opened on November 4th, If UE is in your area, keep your eyes peeled for some deals.

wow, never got there to even check them out and now they are going.

Honestly you're not missing much. I was disappointed when I first walked into the one here that it didn't take up the entire space of the old Wegman's. An electronics store that takes up the space of a Wegman’s, now that was always my dream :) It’s a lot smaller than I expected. The only cool thing about Ultimate Electronics is/was the game room stuff with air hockey, pool and foosball tables. Their selection is lacking and they don’t carry the higher end gear Best Buy Magnolia stores have. The website is amateur and the whole store has a lot to be desired.

While the UE at Carousel is better, Best Buy still wins hand down. Here’s a pic from Syracuse.com. Ultimate Electronics occupies Circuit City’s old retail space, which is on the first level, directly above is Best Buy.

9255968-large.jpg

I’ve been at UE exactly twice, once at Carousel, and a few weeks later at the grand opening at the one at the Galleria.

I missed that this took place. We have several of them here in Minnesota. They use to be called Audio King before being acquired. Sadly about the only electronics stores in Minnesota left are Best Buy.

bummer. I visit the one in Burnsville a few times on my way to Mills Fleet Farm in Lakeville ;)

Guess they tried the expansion thing too quickly again. I went in when the one opened in Milwaukee and was very disappointed. Kind of like you can't go home again. The chain got its start in Denver as Soundtrack and I'd been going there since the days it only had 2 locations. Probably dropped $30k over the years. They were very successful filling a niche between the mass market stuff and the snooty shops. Unfortunately, this latest incarnation tried to clone BB exactly.

The article says Chapter 11 again. I wonder if they are going to retrench back in Colorado, where they are still known as Soundtrack.

I went to one in Highlands Park, CO a few years ago, I liked it, but there was very little in there I could even think about buying. It was very high end in terms of prices on stuff.

I still miss Circuit City, and get pissed every-time I get an email from the online dealer pretending to be them. The CC in Grand Junction was the best. :(

No one is really pretending to be Circuit City. Systemax, the parent company of TigerDirect, purchased the domain, trademark and likeness for Circuit City, as they did with CompUSA. Circuitcity.com and compusa.com are just rebranded versions of tiger.com. Smart move on Tigers part, I love Tiger, I really should start buying more from them.

Circuit City was alright back in the day, but after about 2000/01, they started to suck. Had three locations around here, one of them was a complete joke, the other two got worse and worse. Sales staff was always less than friendly, except for one cashier who I never met before let me use his employee discount on my radar detector. Circuit City failed to keep up with Best Buy and couldn’t compete. My computer from 1998, my HDTV from 2006 and the radar detector were the only three big ticket purchases I made from CC. I almost took a job as a ‘Firedog’ guy at CC, glad I didn’t.

I went to the initial store liquidation sale today. With advertisements ‘up to 30% off’, I couldn’t find anything discounted that much. I was hard-pressed to find anything of interest to buy. Most big ticket items were discounted 5%, video games 10%, movies 20%. I bought Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs in 3D and Dark Night both on blu ray. Paid a total of $26 including tax for those two. I can see why they’re going out of business. I haven’t been in the store since it first opened up, but man the selection sucks.

Guess they tried the expansion thing too quickly again. I went in when the one opened in Milwaukee and was very disappointed. Kind of like you can't go home again. The chain got its start in Denver as Soundtrack and I'd been going there since the days it only had 2 locations. Probably dropped $30k over the years. They were very successful filling a niche between the mass market stuff and the snooty shops. Unfortunately, this latest incarnation tried to clone BB exactly.

The article says Chapter 11 again. I wonder if they are going to retrench back in Colorado, where they are still known as Soundtrack.

They are liquidating here in Colorado also. I think this time they are done.

I think like with many retailers they try to be too many things to too many people; no focus. You can get almost everything they have via the net and with shipping it stills usually a good bit cheaper and no pesky and pushy sales person.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)