"Elevated" HDTV Question

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
My dad is moving to a new condo and has made me in charge of technology decisions. It's an open first floor with almost no walls, and he wants it so that he can have a high mounted HDTV in the living room that can basically be viewable throughout the first floor. This will be up high near some lights.

I would surmise that he'd be best suited with a Plasma television since they have a wider viewing range than LCDs. We're looking for a 50"+ model. Money is a little bit of an issue. About how big can I go with Plasma and keep it under $2.5k? Or am I going about this all wrong and should be looking at LCDs at this height? We need something that will look good at many different viewing angles.

Look at some of the new "B" series Samsung plasma. They are getting some good reviews. You may be able to get a 58" in that price range. If you go LCD make sure you get a tilt and swivel mount for mounting higher than eye level.

If you are going to mount the plasma that is close to the lights, I would get a tilt mount for it as well. No need for a swivel with the plasma though.

Look at some of the new "B" series Samsung plasma. They are getting some good reviews. You may be able to get a 58" in that price range. If you go LCD make sure you get a tilt and swivel mount for mounting higher than eye level.

If you are going to mount the plasma that is close to the lights, I would get a tilt mount for it as well. No need for a swivel with the plasma though.

So how does someone work the swizel if the set is mounted 10' up? (question does not apply to NBA superstars :D )

Again, I tend to disagree with Tigerfan on off center viewing of LCDs. I definitely agree on the tilt mount. The best way to see for yourself is to look at the top row of sets on the Best Buy wall and look at off axis when considering. You will need to take a few steps back because there is a real issue with viewing LCD

BTW, I do agree on how Plasma tends to have a more natural picture.

My sister has a plasma up high. It is great when viewing standing, but when in a chair it is a pain to look up at. Something to consider the unatural position your neck has to be in for long periods when watching a TV mounted too high.

My sister has a plasma up high. It is great when viewing standing, but when in a chair it is a pain to look up at. Something to consider the unatural position your neck has to be in for long periods when watching a TV mounted too high.
Looks like my dad and I had a miscommunication. Apparently what I perceived as being up high is just 6 ft off the ground above a fireplace.

Is it a good idea to have a HDTV hanging above a fireplace?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)