Status
Please reply by conversation.

docj2005

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
st louis park mn
HELP please...

i need help from anyone in minnesota... twin cities....

i need to barrow someone and there meter to get my 1.2 meter dish and hh120 motor set.... i cant seem to find my meter and i have been trying to get ahold of iceberg but i think he is on vacation still... my motor will be here wed... i am sure i can get it mounted but will need help getting it set right...

the dish is a channel master 1.2 meter off set , and i am not sure about the right settings .

i need help from anyone in minnesota... twin cities....

i need to barrow someone and there meter to get my 1.2 meter dish and hh120 motor set.... i cant seem to find my meter and i have been trying to get ahold of iceberg but i think he is on vacation still... my motor will be here wed... i am sure i can get it mounted but will need help getting it set right...

the dish is a channel master 1.2 meter off set , and i am not sure about the right settings .

PSB also at twin city.

Try it yourself before recruiting a lot of help. I know it seems like a hard task, but it'll teach you a lot, good useful info and hands on knowledge that will be good to have down the road when your dish comes off the arc due to wind, or snow, or whatever...

ok ... i have everythin up but now for a quick question.....

my 1.2 meter off set dish ... does the off set part need to have a higher or lower elevation setting

Attachments

• PHTO0009.JPG
    PHTO0009.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 238
  • PHTO0010.JPG
    PHTO0010.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 243
  • PHTO0011.JPG
    PHTO0011.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 245
  • PHTO0012.JPG
    PHTO0012.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 225
Just a quick question, since I don't have a motor like that yet, but doesn't the pipe its attached to have to be vertical in order to track the sats? Just like in a fixed-pole install?

Last edited:
few minor points . . .

Wow , beautiful dish.
That motor should be the right stuff !

But to get the geometry to work, the end of the pole where the motor bolts to it does need to be plumb, just like Turbosat said.
That means no matter which side you put a level on, the pole is straight up in the air.
Also, mounting the motor bracket on the bend, means it's not in the right place, either.
And last but not least, everybody says not to mount onto wooden posts.
They move too much due to moisture absorption .

I see you have a custom adapter plate on the back of that dish (a good thing - reduces weight).
But the dish and all that off-center mass moves around a lot, so you'll need a seriously stable pole to mount on.
Probably a big pipe, not a fence post, buried in cement (but I'll leave those recommendations to the more experienced).

That motor wouldn't be upside down would it? Sure looks that way compared to my SG2100. The stem leading out of the motor hangs down, and has what you would call if it was the front end of a vehicle, positive caster. In other words, it drops down as it swings off centre.

Some satellites have weak signals and *very* accurate aiming is required to get a good signal.

I need to point my dish to the center of this -----> O

Not to the edges of the circle, but dead center.

Then once I get my dish adjusted, I want it to stay there. Therefore I have my dishes mounted on very sturdy poles which are exactly level in all directions. Then when the wind blows, it will not move my dish out of that circle above.

Here are some pictures of commercial dish antenna installations. See how sturdy they are mounted...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/Satellite_dish_1_C-Band.jpg

http://www.satsig.net/africa/mweb-vsat-3.jpg

http://www.mou.org/satellite_tech/Image22.jpg

http://www.harris.com/katrina/c1.jpg

http://www.geoinformatics.com/media/ONLINE ARTICLES/GEO63 P6-7 VEXEL/vexcel063-8.gif

HELP please...

That motor wouldn't be upside down would it? Sure looks that way compared to my SG2100. The stem leading out of the motor hangs down, and has what you would call if it was the front end of a vehicle, positive caster. In other words, it drops down as it swings off centre.

TiminMb the HH120 Motor shaft - (I have one), mounts vertically as per the picture, which is the opposite to the downward shaft mounting of the SG 2100 motor. But I agree with Anole the biggest problem seems to be that the pole is not plumb.

does it make a difference on an off set dish , the elevation of said dish

ie . would it be higher or lower than a standard dish....

i am try to get my 1.2 meter working but cant find my meter.. i have some idea
of where the old dish was set .... i was thinking that the off set dish might need to be set different?

on a side note....

ICBERG.... if your reading this please chime in and help... i am begging ya.....
i need your help..... thanks

docj

The reflector of an offset dish is always lower than a prime focus dish because it reflects the signal from the top instead of square into the reflector.

The apparent elevation will be 20°-30° lower then a prime focus dish. The elevation markings will be already adjusted for the offset by the manufacturer.
Bob

the only thing here is i am not using the mount that came with the dish.. i have a modifed mount that i had been using with my other dish... so trying to figure it out is proving to be a harder thing to do... normaly i get pop the dish and get a signal but i am new to the off set thing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)